Dear Death | Teen Ink

Dear Death

By Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia
Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia

"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

Dear Death,

Can you understand love? I seriously doubt that you can; because, if you could, you would have looked into my mother’s eyes when she had turned around to smile at me in the car that day. You would have seen what I had seen: the affection glowing in her hazel gaze and the joy that flitted across her lips. That blissful moment before terror.

You witnessed that love shining like a headlight in our midst, yet still you made our car swerve off the road. And you wrenched my mom and dad from life’s embrace. My embrace, even though I thought I was holding on tightly enough. Why did you take them cruelly in your arms, and stalk past my brother and I? We were in the car too! I’d rather be walking hand in hand with them (wherever you took them after that day) than be left in the dust of life.

When I woke up in the hospital the next obscure morning, white-coated figures told me that they were gone. Through my tears, I made a solemn vow. It was a vow to hate you for the rest of my life. Mom and Dad, gone? You don’t understand love.

Your newest enemy,
Rose

Dear Death,

It’s been a year since I last wrote you, and I have already broken my vow. You took Grandpa yesterday, but he was different. I loved Grandpa in a way that would bring tears to anybody’s eyes. He used to tell me fantasy stories, swearing that they were real. I’d say, “you’re crazy, Grandpa!” He would look really serious and say, “What? You think I’m crazy?” then smile and wink: “maybe a little bit.” He warmed my heart so much.

Cancer, supposedly, was the murderer. But I recognized your aura in the hospital when he called me in to talk. He told me that everything was okay, giving me a smile that I had come to know as my friend. He told me that everything was all right, that there was nothing to fear from you, that he was just moving on, that I would see him in time. His words consoled me, but I cried as he gave my hand a little squeeze. Then I saw his spirit floating like a veil out of the room. I could have sworn that it winked at me.

I broke my vow, because I forgive you.

With love,
Rose

Dear Death,

It has been four years since Grandpa died. My brother has had a really hard life (as have I, for that matter). I had often seen him in his room praying, with tears in his eyes, before he left home to get a job. I guess no one answered his prayers, because I was told this morning that he was found dead after having jumped from his apartment building. This time, I shed no tears. I am beyond that now, even though my big brother is gone.

Before Grandpa called me to his sickbed, I heard him saying to my brother with a smile “teach Rose all that you know after I’m gone.” He has done so, because I’m looking at the noose that I have tied for myself, a foot in front of me. I’m almost ready to walk into your arms, just like my family. Now I have just stepped up onto the chair…

I don’t know how these letters will reach you, but I hope they do.

I want you to see what you have done.

See you soon,
Rose

Dear Rose,

I want you to know that I have read and reread your letters; they were very beautiful. Silver tears line my worn face as I watch you swing slowly like a pendulum from the rope. I also want you to know this: I’m so sorry. But your brother, he had jumped; somebody had to catch him. But I know you loved him. Your grandpa, he shook my hand as I helped him from his deathbed; he knew that it was all okay. And I know that you loved him. As for your parents, I did see that look in your mother’s eyes; and I’m so sorry that she and your father had to leave with me. I know that you loved them. But I am the deliverer; some people must be left behind as I take the others with me.

I remember your first words to me. To answer, I do understand love. I have seen so much, how could I not? But I’m glad you wrote to me and that you will be joining the ones that you care about. I look into your tranquil face and think: this is not the end, Rose.

Your friend,
Death

IamtheshyStargirl PLATINUM, Lothlorien, Utah

Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

"Bowing gratefully to all of my subjects, 'thank you. Thank you. The pleasure is mine." Nah, I'm just kidding. We're all kings together.'"
~Thesilentraven

Of course I don't! It's just that this seemed to be a sort of tribute or somthing to it.

I adore it to :) One of my all-time favorites based on its era.

~Kahlil Gibran

Thank you so much, once again, thank you! I ADORE The Book Thief. And I must admit, shamefully, I had the idea of an animate death from that work. I hope you don't think the lesser of me...

Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

~Thesilentraven

P.S. Have you read The Book Thief by Markus Zusack? Just curious.

Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

~Thesilentraven

Lovely!!! It brought tears to my eyes. All of the letters seem very heartfelt, throught the veils of different emotions. The last one is probably the most beautiful.

You are truly telented.

~Kahlil Gibran

I'm a bit confused. What is there to be sarcastic about? Anyway, sarcasm was no where near my intention in my comment. I was entirely sincere.

~Kahlil Gibran

Thank you very much! I was especially delighted that you had the sincerity to put a period after each of the first three words. Thanks for commenting.

A shy dove J said...
on Sep. 19 2010 at 2:53 am
Yes. our usernames are a bit similar but are you sarcastic about it or have you commented it just like that?? :-)

its_just_me PLATINUM, Greensburg, Pennsylvania

Life is not measured by the amount of breath's you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Oh. My. Gosh. This is amazing! I had tears in my eyes as I read this! You make death seem like a good thing and a bad thing at the same time. This story is very touching and inspiring. Keep writing. You're amazing!

~Kahlil Gibran

I am very grateful for your comment. I am very proud to have written a piece that might come close to inspiring the word: 'touching.' I don't know that death has a heart, but he certainly has a soul. ;)

~Kahlil Gibran

Thanks for your wonderful comment. 'Frighteningly beautiful,' that reminds me of Ralph Waldo Emerson's quote "I am happy to the brink of fear." :) You don't know how much your words meant to me. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

kasjo said...
on Sep. 15 2010 at 9:59 am

this is so good and it is heart rinching and is a touching story and i nerver know that death could have a heart and that it is a sad story but seend off a strong message and will press against my heart for a long time.

tripsishere BRONZE, Frisco, Texas
Wow. That was frighteningly beautiful. Who knew Death had a heart? That really touched me. Thanks for writing! 

~Kahlil Gibran

I am extremely flattered and grateful for your compliments. Honestly, I didn't think it 'flowed' as much as it should have, but you're the boss. Thanks for your comment. And once again, I loved your article.

amehndi SILVER said...
amehndi SILVER, Plainsboro, New Jersey
Wow, honestly, I have tears in my eyes after reading this piece. I've never read anything like it and it flows so beautifully. You are an extremely talented writer... your words hum like poetry. I look forward to reading more of your work!

~Kahlil Gibran

Our usernames are a bit similar. The silent raven and the shy dove? There's definitely something going on there... two socially awkward birds.

~Kahlil Gibran

Thank you, thank you! I'm delighted to read your comment and that you took the time to read my piece. I'd love to read some of your work when you put it up there.

on Sep. 12 2010 at 6:35 am
A_shy_dove GOLD, Hubli, Other

Never compare your life with others, as you have no idea what their journey is all about.

Wow! wonderful!!! This article touched my heart.....

~Kahlil Gibran

Thank you very much, my friend. Your compliments make me very happy and are much appreciated. And, yes... that made perfect sense. Once again, thanks.

peacelovenharmony SILVER, Bay Village, Ohio
this is wonderful keep writting because you have a wonderful talent for writting this is really beautiful how you make something like death look postive when in fact it can sometimes be sad and heartbreake if any of that makes sense 

dogdaysareover SILVER, Cranford, New Jersey
thank you! :)