Every Little Thing Counts Part 1 | Teen Ink

Every Little Thing Counts Part 1

By Carlie BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska
Carlie BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska

My mother always tells me, “Do what you can in time of need.” What does that mean? I haven’t figured that out yet. But some day I will. And I will do just that.

My mom and I live in Nigeria. I was born here. My mother however was born in Angola. She was taken on a slave ship over here. I ask her about the ship, but she refuses to give me any sliver of information. It’s not my fault I want to know more. I’m a curious kid.

But like my mother also says, “Curiosity killed the cat.”

“Sweetie?” My mother said helplessly from her cold and soiled corner. We live in a carved out dirt hole and my mother has been sick for months. Since there is no one around with medical experience, my mother’s sickness is a mystery.

“Yes, mother?” She coughed slightly. Her coughs, whimpers and pleads for help always made my stomach flip.

“I need..you to go and....get me some water.” I nodded and grabbed a water pail.

“I’ll be back soon.” I kissed her forehead and left for the four mile journey to the water spout. I heard another cough just before I left. Ugh. Stomach pains. Not only that but a tear trickled down my chin into the pail. One drop of water can make all of the difference in my world.

Carlie BRONZE said...
Carlie BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska
Very Sad! But great! Please rate it!!!!