The Season | Teen Ink

The Season

By Basketball13 BRONZE, Shapleigh, Maine
Basketball13 BRONZE, Shapleigh, Maine

"Go big or Go Home"

I could hear my heart beating so fast, it felt like it was going to beat right out of my chest. My head was pounding, it was like that was the only thing I could hear everything else was blocked out. Nothing in the world was more important than right here, right now. Then I felt a snap...

Monday morning was the day I was moving into my dorm, lets just say apartment in Michigan, mom was crying, you know the whole college thing. She didn't seem to have that big of a problem bringing my brother Joe up to Massachusetts 4 years ago,(he's a doctor now.)

We were loading my things into the car. My tv, clothes, furniture, laptop, and everything else an eighteen year old would need in college. Wayne State University had been the college I wanted to go to since I was a little kid. Not a whole big reason why I wanted to go, but I got a scholarship there and their basketball program is amazing!

It takes about 9 hours to get there. Not looking forward to that, but it will be totally worth it once i’m there, (hopefully anyway.) The nerves were starting to get to me, I have always had a hard time meeting new people, talking in front of people and being sort of, outgoing. It’s a hard habit to break. A letter came in the mail saying my roommates name is Rachel. I’m hoping we have lots in common, and praying she’s not some stuck up cheerleader who thinks there all that and a bag of chips. Ha! ha! That was a saying my mom used to use when we went to California for a beauty pageant, my cousin Karrisa was in. She didn’t say that about Karrisa, but almost every other girl with spray tans and fake nails. Weird for being six years old.

We were almost there maybe a half hour away when we rode by this huge sign saying BASKETBALL PLAYERS ARE MADE HERE. Basketball was my life, I have played since I was five years old. Not to brag, but I was the top player in high school.

Finally. We arrived at Wayne State University around six o’clock. It was still light out. It’s beautiful here, bright yellow flowers, birds chirping and you could smell fresh cut grass. You could see the football field and tennis courts from the parking lot we had parked in.

My mom and I walked into the lobby and I checked in. My room number was 213. Then all of a sudden a tall blonde girl came up to me and yelled in a high screeching voice,
“Oh my gosh!! Are you Lauren?” Here we go I thought to myself just what I needed an annoying, loud, blonde roommate. Don’t get me wrong I don’t have a problem with blonds... only when they are super obnoxious.

My mom helped me unpack then we said our goodbyes and she left. I thought to myself, i’m really on my own now. I had a weird feeling inside me, I didn’t know what to think. Then my new roommate walked in, we kinda talked, more like she talked. She told me she used to be a hockey player. (That was a huge surprise.) She said she had tore her achilles tendon and had to get two surgeries. She said it was fixed, but she isn't allowed to play hockey anymore. She said she played basketball. Now that I new she wasn’t who I thought she was, this might be funnier than I had thought.

Two months later... the smell of wax, the glossy floor, the big sign above the bleachers that said “It’s not how big you are, it’s how big you play.” Twenty seven girls walk into the gym, you could feel the tension in the air. Today was the first day of tryouts. It would be humiliating not make the team, but you never know half of these girls are like twice my size. Im hoping that they weren't going out for my position. The coach was a tall buff man about 6’1. He had scary eyes, when you looked in them they almost looked like black holes.

Back at the dorm around 6 o’clock, Rachel and I were wiped. The coach practically killed us, we did over 30 suicides and plenty of running drills. My calf muscles were burning, and I could barley walk. Rachel and I were dreading the next day at school, three exams, then practice for two hours after that.

I woke up to the sound of rain hitting the window. I looked over to see Rachel lying upside down on her bed. She was drooling. When she finally woke up, she looked so tired. She had dark circles around her eyes, puff cheeks. It was actually quite funny.

After our three exams, we headed to the gym for practice. The coach came in and announced that he was making cuts today.

Practice was amazing. Rachel and I are so excited we had both made the team. I already have a nickname it’s Lil. I don’t know how the coach came up with it. It doesn’t sound anything like Lauren, but it’s cool. Lucky number twenty two, I was so pumped, that’s been my number forever! The coach told us the position we would be playing. Let me say it again, pumped! I got my position, point guard. For the people that don’t know, that’s the person who dribbles down the ball when it goes out or a basket is scored against us.

Two months had passed. We had played forty five games, and we had only lost one. Which makes our record of 44-1. I had improved greatly. Maybe I was the only one that thought that, but I was sure it was true. I had been the top scorer each game. That’s pretty darn good for being a point guard.

There was lots and lots of tension after the game today, especially in the dorm. I don't know what I did to make Rachel so mad at me. She stormed into the room right passed my bed, blowing my hair into my face. I was to afraid to ask what I did so I just let her yell. She said,
“I am fed up with you thinking your all that, (I didn't think that, thought to myself I guess she does,) but she just kept on yelling. She said, I should be top scorer each game, all you do is hog the ball.” In my eyes i didn't at all maybe that’s just because she's jealous. Everybody else doesn't have any problem with me. I always pass the ball.

Next week is the championship game against Utah State University. They were the only team we had lost to. We were all working really hard, we wanted to win this game.

The day came, everyone was the most nervous I had ever seen them.
“Captains please,” me and rachel were picked to be captains for this game(what a choice) i thought in my head. Rules were reminded, be sportsman like and have fun. Having fun was the last thing on my mind, I wanted this game, I wanted it bad.

Coach called a time out, we were down 51-55 fourth quarter.

Sweat dripping down my face, coach said, Rachel you pass in to Lil then lil you dribble it up court, look for Lucy far post.

The whistle blew. Rachel passed it into me. I dribbled up court. The defense switched from a zone to a man to man. My defender was waiting for me right at half court. Fake left, go right, pass. Then i felt a snap, a sharp pain went straight up my leg. I fell to the floor, my leg was now on fire.

I woke up in the hospital. Not knowing a thing that had happened. Then I looked over to see Rachel sitting in the guest chair. She looked up, I lifted my head up and tried to get out of the bed, but I couldn't. Rachel said,
“ You broke your ankle in 5 places. I would take it easy if i were you.”
“What happened to me,” i said almost starting to cry.
“We were playing the championship and..”
I butted in,
“Yeah i remember that, but what happened to my ankle? How did i do this?” Rachel began again,
“We were down by 4 you were dribbling up court when, your guard tripped you. You snapped your ankle.”
“Did we win the game?!, I yelled.
“No we lost 54-56. It was close, coach said we played great. At the end of the game he pointed to the poster, “It’s not how big you are it’s how big you play,” he said we played the biggest, but it just wasn't enough, And there's always next year!

Basketball13 BRONZE, Shapleigh, Maine

"Go big or Go Home"

Thanks so much for the feed back! C:

Kenziee7 said...
Greatt job! :)