Peanut Butter and Jelly | Teen Ink

Peanut Butter and Jelly

By RebeliousOne BRONZE, North Las Vegas, Nevada
RebeliousOne BRONZE, North Las Vegas, Nevada

"Imagination is the first step to discovery"-Unknown

Conscious? He had none. Probably didn’t even have one to begin with. The only thing he knew how to do was kill, or in other words feed. His name is Jack. Nothing to special. But to the rest of his kind the name sparked envy, jealousy, and fear. No one dared to approach him, yet they still loved to watch him. Watch, and watch and watch…

‘Now look at her! She walks as if she actually has a place to be!’ The kids on the edge of the playground all turn their heads and watch her as she quickly walks across the playground toward the forest at the edge of the school that no one dared approach.
Everyone in town feared the forest, everyone except Cybil. Cybil is a different kind of child. Cybil likes being different, but that comes with a price. In the town being different or not fitting in was like a sin. So she is an outcast, or as the children loved to call her; ”Tree whisperer”. They call her that because she goes into the woods and only the trees will know what she does in there.
Cybil walked past the children as if they were never there. Her mind and body was set in the direction of the forest. The forest that seemed to want everyone out shook in excitement as Cybil approached .They opened up their branches moving them aside so Cybil could pass through. Cybil trekked higher into the woods until she came upon her destination. It was a small little clearing that looked over the whole town. She could see everything from the small little market to the school that she had just walked away from. No one would dare look for me here. Cybil sat down on a small rock and took out a pair of binoculars and a notebook from her lunch sack and got to work.
So thirsty. So very, very thirsty. Jack gripped his throat and rubbed it so he could take away the burning feeling that he felt. Jack had been running for days feeding here and there, but once he got into this forest he had gotten lost and hadn’t been able to find any sort of life besides the millions and millions of trees that seemed to extend out into eternity. Jack stopped suddenly; he sniffed the air and caught the scent of blood. His eyes turned a deeper red and he ran blindly into the forest chasing the scent. He broke through a clump of trees and stood in the middle of a clearing. Jack stayed still and listened for anything that moved, but after a full two seconds there was nothing. He stood still then turned around. He saw the small town below him. I don’t care what happens but when I see a human I’ll attack at the first chance I get. Jack was about to make his way down toward the small town when he heard soft footsteps coming up the path in his direction. Jack smirked. Why go to your food when it’ll come to you? Jack backed away from the edge of the clearing and climbed up a giant tree which had thick leaves that would conceal him. All he had to do now was wait.
Jack was beginning to get impatient. But just as he was about to go down and intercept his prey he saw her. A child? What is she doing all the way up here? No matter I’ve dealed with kids before. But Jack still sat there looking at the girl. She sat down on a small rock facing the town and took out a pair of binoculars and a notebook from a lunch sack she had with her. Jack made his way down quietly to the base of the tree, his body tensed when he got closer to her, but curiosity got the best of him, and he just stood there wanting to see what she was going to do.
Cybil looked through her binoculars and scanned the town until she saw a boy she knew from the local high school. It was her sister’s boyfriend. He was laying down on another girls lap outside in his backyard. Cybil took out a pencil from her pocket, wrote down the time and what she saw. “You’re a sick person. This is the third girl this week.” She whispered.

Jack stiffened. She knows I’m here? No that’s impossible. She must be a peeper or something. No more games it’s time to end this. Jack walked toward the girl, but when he stepped on a twig and it snapped the girl slowly turned her head and her eyes met his.
Cybil had felt a presence in the forest as soon as she entered, she just assumed it was her mind playing tricks on her, but when she heard a sharp snap behind her she knew someone was in the forest with her. Cybil turned her head and her eyes locked in with a pair of deep red eyes.
Jack froze, and just stood there looking back at the girl. He expected her to run away or scream or at least show a sign of fear, but no the girl didn’t even looked moved by his presence. Jack was confused and his throat burned more but something held him back, instead of attacking he just stayed where he was. Why is this so hard?
Cybil looked right into the man’s eyes they were as red as blood and they looked hungry. She studied him. His hair was wild and there were twigs and leaves stuck in them. She almost laughed; he looked even weirder than she did! “Are you hiding as well?” she asked him.
The question threw him off guard he didn’t know how to respond. “Aren’t you scared?” he asked her. “Should I be?” was her response. Even her replies came out smooth and clean. Yes, you should be. I want to kill you but you don’t even care.
“Here, you look hungry.”Cybil reached into her lunch sack and took out a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. She stood up and handed it to him. Without even knowing what he was doing Jack reached for it and took it. “My names Cybil by the way, but you’ll probably forget it.” She said with a shrug “What’s yours?” Jack was quiet for a second; no one had ever asked him who he really was no one really cared they only cared about what he did. “Jack” Cybil nodded bent down and started to pick up her things. She put them back in her lunch sack; she walked to the edge of the clearing and turned back around. “It was nice to meet you Jack.” Jack let her walk down the path back toward the school; he ignored the burning in his throat and looked down at the peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It was soft and squishy. It’s so fragile. Jack felt like he had Cybil’s life in his hands. She was the only person who had ever treated him as if he were human.
Jack turned his gaze back down toward the path Cybil had taken, and possibly for the first time in his life Jack smiled softly.

Everyday,the things you do could change somebody's life.

ninjajump BRONZE, Harrisonburg, Virginia

life is the greatest gift, but it is also the heaviest burdon

i really liked this one... keep writeing things like this plzzzz

rebel_yell said...

how do i say this non offensively

ur s-e-x-y in your writing

oh and lyssa28 stay out of our conversation

horndog03 said...
yes! *fistpump* cant wait

thanks for replying. you seem awesome. i'll keep an eye out for ur stuff

I really don't see how someone can be hot through writing

HaHa You know in the beginning i was thinking of making him kill her but then i thought that was pretty messed up.

Well i don't think i'm the best but thanks for reading it! I think i'll be coming out with a new story soon!

HaHa Yeah i do and i am a bit of a tom boy so i guess that comes out in my writing but im glad you liked it!

myy kindd of storyy!

so do you write like this all the time? if you do then you should write some more. Its intense enough for a guy without all the fluffy girly stuff, but yet theres enough emotional stuff for a girl too. perfect balacne. (man I sound like a dweeb)

lyssa28 BRONZE said...
lyssa28 BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada
wow, way to b a pig

rebel_yell said...
r u a girl? cuz if u r then ur a hot writer

horndog03 said...
wow :D youre writing is some of the best on teenink. it should make it one the top 3 list! reply plz

ok, this is the most amazing thing i have ever read. keep on writing!!

lyssa28 BRONZE said...
lyssa28 BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada
i was freaking out. i was like "OMFE!!! DONT LET HER DIE!!!!"

lyssa28 BRONZE said...
lyssa28 BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada
OME lol i love it steph!