"Run-Away" | Teen Ink

"Run-Away"

"Hey, what's up? Are you ready to leave?" Angelica asked me in the hall at school. "Or are you scared that we might get caught?"

The both of us had been planning to run away from home, not to just get away from our parents but to have fun and not have any responsibilities. I had just gotten caught skipping at the tunnels and I was angry with my dad for grounding me. "Of course, I'm ready! You know I've been trying to get away." I said, without hesitation.

"What are you doing?" I asked Angelica. "I'm getting money, so we can go to Lubbock..or Dumas.. somewhere out of this town." She was trying to get into her house by opening her bathroom window. With a couple of bangs and a big push, we got the window to open.

"I don't know, Angelica. I'm worried about how my sisters will act. You know, Jasmin's only four."

"Yeah, I know, Laura. But didn't you want freedom? Or did you want misery?" As I watched Angelica grab her step-father's wallet, I sat on her bed thinking about what my sisters Anabel and Jasmin would say in 20 years from now.

"Anabel... Laura called and said she needs money! She is in jail, again!" Jasmin would say, while having breakfast in her mansion.

"Is it my turn to get her out? I'm getting a massage, and I don't want to miss my soap opera."

"Open the door, Angelica! Open the door!" The police were outside and they were ready to take us back to school.

"Run out the back door, Laura! Go!" Angelica yelled while running across the living room. The both of us went for the door and when we opened it, our parents were standing there. Their eyes full of anger.

"You know how dumb you look? Skipping school and running away!" My dad scolded. "We want you to have a better life than us and you think it's easy? How are you going to be happy with no money, no job, no car, and no family? Jasmin is saying she wants to be like you and...and... and now she is saying she doesn't want to go to school!"

I didn't know my sister wanted to be like me. Jasmin was only four years old ,and saying she did not want to go to school made me feel bad.

"I'm going to school!" I said. "I want to be a good role model ,and I do not want my sisters to start acting up." I felt like my mom. I saw mistakes that my sister did that she could not see herself. I know now that even though I made some huge mistakes I did not see. There was always someone who did ,and that someone was my baby sister, Jasmin.