The Inn | Teen Ink

The Inn

As the door swung open I looked up to see a rather young woman walk in. I continued on to my volume not noticing any peculiarities about the woman till the following evening.
The following evening I was awoken from my slumber to the sound of a soft-stepped pace coming form the adjoining room (the young woman’s room). This continued long into the night.
The next morning I informed the innkeeper of the crepuscular activity. He told me he would speak to her as soon as she arrived back at the inn. My concern of the nighttime activity must not have been taken into very high regard for mad frenzy of pacing continued that night. For hours the monotone pacing continued until I finally drifted into a rough sleep. This brings my journal to a close for the day.

Journal Entry, January 18, 1894

Harper drops the quill to the table and slams his journal shut. He then yanks his coat off the coat rack and ambles out the door.

I found myself at the young woman’s door this morning. She coldly informed me she “had not been the source of the pacing”. She rudely suggested that I leave her room for she “had been sleeping” and “would like to return to her bed”. I did not embrace her story as true however because for I had heard the pacing coming from her room. If the pacing continues tonight I am going to her room no matter what time it is.

Journal Entry, January 18, 1894

This has gone on too long and too far. The pacing continued again last and more wildly than ever before. The sounds of objects crashing on the floor and wild moans accompanied the symphony of foul sounds.
I burst out of my bed and raced over to her room. Angrily I pounded on her door, but I received no answer. Eventually I gave up on the pounding and I looked threw the keyhole. What I saw there was indescribable, though it was dark and I couldn’t see much what I did see disturbed me greatly. After receiving no answer I stalked back to bed and tried to fall asleep. In the morning after a great deal of pounding the young woman’s door burst open. What I saw inside was evidence of the previous nights activities. Shredded books were strewn across the floor, lamps lay smashed next to the broken table and chairs. In the corner a large mirror was smashed apparently by hand for blood was strewn across it. I tried to inform the innkeeper but this attempt was unsuccessful for he was nowhere to be found.

Journal Entry, January 19, 1894

Though it was midday, Harper lay exhausted in bed from the previous night’s experiences. The sound of someone walking out of the young woman’s room startles Harper. He stands up and dashes out his door, when outside his door no one is there.

The young woman left her room today and hasn’t returned to it yet. Taking advantage of the situation I snuck into her room. Like the night before the room’s state was far from clean. The room looked completely ransacked and destroyed. As I continued looking through the room I came across a cross with a wax effigy of Christ on it melted and scorched. Other than that not much else was found.

Journal Entry, January 19, 1894

The young woman returned late to the inn late at night. She began her pacing again. After hours of my head pounding to the beat of her footsteps I finally drifted into a restless sleep. My dreams were plagued with images of bleeding crosses and dying angels begging for help. When I awoke I prayed to god to forgive me for those sinful thoughts.

Journal Entry, January 20, 1894

Harper dashes outside after hearing the sound of a door slamming. He bounds out the door and halts when seeing the young woman standing at her door locking it up. Harper had never seen her for long enough to notice how she looked. Her face was thin with high cheekbones, her eyes were black almost coal colored, and her skin as white as snow. He demands her to stop pacing and destroying objects at night. She again claims she was not the cause of the noises and stalks away.

I am completely out of ideas of what to do. The innkeeper says he doesn’t want to ruin business by kicking her out of the inn. The young woman won’t be reasonable and listen to anything I say. The pacing continued again that night but what truly frightened me was my dream. In the dream the young woman talked to me in a strangely morbid voice.

I’m considering leaving the inn but the next closest inn is about 70 miles away. It would take at least 2 days to travel but I’d need the aid of a coach. The biggest problem is the next coach is scheduled to come January 27.

Journal Entry, January 21, 1894

I am in a terrified state of shock. Today the young woman left the inn so I decided to break into her room. I was ransacking her room looking for some kind of evidence to show me what she was doing in her room when she unlocked the door. I froze in a state of utter fear as she walked in. When hearing the expression “hell hath no fury like a woman” I now know what that means. The lights seemed to dim as she screamed and beat at me. I eventually regained my state of mind and ran from her room.
Now not only do I have to worry about her but she could report me to the police for breaking into her room. I am too frightened to confront her and apologize!

Journal Entry, January 21, 1894

Harper wakes up covered in a cold sweat he has experienced another dream. Hearing the low sound of breathing he slowly turns around in bed. When he fully turns he sees the shadowy figure of the woman lying in his bed.