Mistakes | Teen Ink

Mistakes

“Where do you think you’re going?” Cameron heard his mother shout after him as he began walking to the door.

“Like you care!” he called back, his face hot with anger.

“Yes, Cameron, I do care!” She appeared in the hall, tears dripping down her face. Her fists were clenched into tight balls. “You’re not the only one who misses your father.” She whimpered slightly, slumping against the wall.

Cameron felt guilt creep up his spine. Ever since his dad had left, everything had gone downhill. Cameron had started making friends with the wrong people and one thing led to another. Now he could feel the almost empty pack of Kool’s throb in his back pocket, like it was alive.

“I miss him, too.” He heard her sob as he stood frozen in the doorway. Wind blew past him, whipping his hair about.

His legs refused to move, though he wanted to go to his mother.

“What did I do wrong?” She whispered, sliding to the floor.

Cameron watched her with growing awkwardness. She cried harder, holding her head in her hands.

Turning on his heel, Cameron stepped into the wintry weather, leaving his mother behind.

Cameron walked for what seemed like an eternity. He had been originally going to go hang out with the guys at his school, but instead he stumbled off in the opposite direction.