Why the Wolves Howl: A Legend | Teen Ink

Why the Wolves Howl: A Legend

By benyewest SILVER, Katy, Texas
benyewest SILVER, Katy, Texas

In the times before men came into the forest, animals used to speak openly and freely with each other. Out of them the wolves were the most vocal of the creatures that dwelled there. They were also the most charismatic, fastest, cunning, and proud as well. To them, all other beings that lived in the woods were inferior to the wolf, because they did not possess the natural traits of the wolf.

One day, it rained. A rabbit had been grazing when the downpour began and was very far from his hole. Luckily he had been grazing close to a cave and so found dry salvation there. The rabbit, cold and tired, retired in a corner. Unluckily he unknowingly found the secret cave of the wolves.

The next morning the rabbit was awoken bitterly by the chief of the wolves. “Why have you trespassed our den!?” The chief barked. The rabbit replied fearfully, “Pardon me, magnificent chief of the wolves and forest, my hole is leagues from this place and I had to find shelter from the rain.” “The wolves and I do not care of your wants or needs! You have trespassed a den for wolves, not rabbits!”

The chief of the wolves was renowned for his fierce intolerance of those not his kind, and also his powerful voice. As a result of his yelling, a stalactite fell upon his head. The rock had splintered into oblivion when it felled the monarch. The rabbit immediately fled from the cave, and as he ran the chief’s pup hollered to him, “Until time ends, our kin will hunt yours forever more!” The pack gathered to howl solemnly in celebration of this declaration, and in the memory of their leader.

They say the gods had seen the sadness in the wolves, and decided to put their chief’s spirit in the moon. They had placed him there in a way that only wolves may be able to see his regal face every full moon, and be able to pay their respects by howling proudly to it.

dbacksgirl29 BRONZE, Peoria, Arizona
Wolves are my favorite animals so I really enjoyed this! Great job!