SpEaK | Teen Ink

SpEaK

By tcycali SILVER, New Canaan, Connecticut
tcycali SILVER, New Canaan, Connecticut

Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else. ~Judy Garland

Have you ever felt like no matter what you did you don't fit in? That the clothes you wear are wrong, the friends you hang out with are wrong and high school is just the hardest thing to do? I know how you feel. Every day it is a constant battle to be popular and fit in.

You get judged by the labels you wear and the stores you shop at. You get labeled as a geek, preppy, or goth, by the clothing and appearance you have. They judge you by your clothes and not by the person you are underneath. You may not have the money to spend on clothes and your parents are just struggling to put food on the table, but people don't know that and so they judge by how you look. They don't ask questions about why you can't wear the popular brands or why you don't shop at American Eagle or Hollister. No matter what you tell them they still label you, and no matter what you do you will be a popular or an unpopular or geek. You can't help it and you can't control other people or their minds, so you will be judged and it will sometimes hurt. Like the saying goes don't judge a book by their cover. But people still do, and it's not fair.

Your friends are another issue. People tell you that you can't be popular or fit in because the people you hang out with may not be popular, they aren't pretty enough, or they don't wear the right clothes. You either have to ditch your friends that you may have been friends with for a long time, or stick with them and sacrifice being popular. You may also have another problem. You might not have any friends and in that case you are labeled as a loner, a creep, or someone to avoid. It may not even be your fault. I's hard to go through high school and not have any friends to help you through your struggles, give you a hand when things are tough, or just have anyone to look out for you. I had that problem at the beginning of the year. Most of my friends went to other high schools because of where they lived or because they moved. But I got enough courage to ask a few people if they wanted to hang out and they actually did. But you might not have social skills and people take it as you are wierd and don't want any friends.

This is a battle that has been going on, and it seems like forever. It's almost impossible to fit in. No matter what you do it is almost always the wrong thing or the thing you shouldn't be doing. Doing things that you know you shouldn't be doing will not solve anything. Like going to parties, or drinking. It will just get you into more trouble than when you started. People will say that it will make you popular and once you do it everyone will love and talk to you. But after a few weeks or even a few days, everyone will most likely forget.

So my advice is be yourself. If the popular people won't accept you then that is their loss. I learned that a few years ago. If the popular people want you to change and act like someone or something you are not, say no. Because if in order to be popular you have to change everything you are then it's not important to be popular. Because eventually you will forget who you really are. So don't listen to the labels they give you, or what they say about you because if they have nothing else to do than judge you, they obviously don't have lives. They don't know who they are or who their real friends are. And I would much rather know who I am and be a friendless loser than have one hundered friends who secretly hate me.

Friends are a necessity, acquiring ones who will be with you till the end and love you no matter what is a another matter.