War is not a game | Teen Ink

War is not a game

By wilson1313 BRONZE, Rachester, Minnesota
wilson1313 BRONZE, Rachester, Minnesota

War is Not a Game

Crash! Tommy Hurst plowed his way into the end zone with the score that would be enough to make his team victorious in the Rose Bowl. He was walking back to the locker room when his coach caught up with him.

“Hurst, you had a heck of a good season and just finished it off with a great game to top it off,” said his coach.

“Thanks coach,” said Tommy. “I just wish I could take it even further. I know it might sound lame, but I always fantasized about being on the walls of hall of fame in the big leagues someday.”

“You are a hall of fame in my book,” said his coach.

Tommy’s summer break was beginning to come to an end along with his hopes and dreams of going into the pros. He was running out of money and would soon have to make a lifelong career decision. He decided he would wait and think it over a few more days.

All of Tommy’s life, he wanted to be somebody and do something extraordinary. He never wanted to be just another student at a big school. Now his work resembled this problem identically. He didn’t want to be just another cubicle in an office. The decision suddenly came to him, he would join the marines.

Tommy enlisted the next day, eager to make a difference. His basic training would start the following week. If he passed basic training, he would move on to missions. Tommy’s commander and general was one of the meanest men that there was on the entire base. He was constantly yelling.

“I only want you who can go the distance, who can run the mile, who can walk straight through hell with a smile,” he bellowed.

This was nothing compared to the brutal physical demands Tommy was put through day in and day out. He broke records he thought never could be broke, running endless miles, doing countless pushups with numerous pounds on his back. Then the day came that he never thought was possible.
“Hurst,” boomed the general across the lunch hall, “you have been assigned, come with me.”

Tommy rose hesitantly; he had been waiting for this moment ever since he set foot in the camp. He had not only been preparing physically but mentally too. He had been going over the reasons why he was here and what he was doing this for continuously. He would do it for his people, do it for his pride, but most of all do it for his country and do it for his name. He was briefed on the mission he was assigned and would be flying out the next day because it was urgent. There was a nuclear missile off the coast of Iraq that they were supposed to neutralize before it was activated. Tommy was ready, he knew he could beat the world, he could beat the war, he had talked to God, and he had banged on his door.

The helicopter ride seemed to take an eternity to Tommy, but it was only a little over an hour. The thirty-second call ushered through the chopper. Before he knew it, bullets were flying. Tommy fired his rifle and reloaded all in one swift motion. Although everything seemed chaotic, everything was going as planned until Tommy noticed a few men standing near the missile. He fired his rifle and hit the front man but another managed to reach a switch that ignited the rocket. Before Tommy knew what he was doing, he was jumping out of the helicopter. He landed on the missile and knocked it on its side just before it launched straight into the ocean and disarmed. The men in the chopper secured the scene and recovered Tommy’s body with two bullet holes in the chest and one in his head.

A week after the tragic battle a memorial was held for Tommy.

“This man is one of the bravest I have ever had the privilege of fighting with. He, without a doubt, saved mankind and our country as we know it. I have no doubt in my mind that he will be standing in the hall of fame, the worlds going to know his name,” said his former commander.

Based off song by the script Hall of Fame