Remember Me | Teen Ink

Remember Me

“Remember me” she had murmured while we waited, waited for them to come, we knew they would come. I felt a tear run down my cheek and let out a breath.
“Of course. How could I forget you?” I thought I saw something in her eyes but then she smiled a half smile and whispered, “I don’t know.”
The corner where we hid was dark and dusty, the room big but also dark. And very quiet. I was afraid to move, even scared to breathe just in case it meant they would come sooner. I tried to think about the fact that, even though they would take her, the things that mattered most were that I had met her at all, the time we spent together. But still, I felt so sad, so scared.
I wish I could have enjoyed those last moments, but instead it felt like time was going backwards, but I never doubted that they would come.
“Remember me, too, okay?” I told her and she nodded.
“As long as I can. As long as I’m alive.” And there it was again, a sadness in her eyes. I knew just then, that she wasn’t expecting to live and I felt my stomach clench.
As a distraction, I looked out the tiny window where I could see the moon, a sliver, but bright. Then we heard the noise and I felt her stiffen beside me. My heart stopped, because I knew that in that moment my life would change, and then they came, bursting through the door and walking quickly to the corner where we hid, their eyes on her. I tried to watch the moon as the clouds came to cover it and everything was dimmer and dimmer. They came, all branching out from one point, and it seemed as though they were multiplying. They came for her in the middle of the night. And they took her, and as they were taking her, leaving me alone, as the moon became hidden behind the clouds, I heard her voice call out “Remember me.”

This was inspired by a few index cards. One said "Remember me" so I wrote it as a title. Two had pictures--one crescent (like the moon) and one circle that branched into other circles (like 'them' who come to take 'her').