Out of Her Reach | Teen Ink

Out of Her Reach

September 17, 2008
By Anonymous

His eyes were as brown as the creamy milk chocolate bars she received at Christmas. Hers were as blue as the bright sunny sky. His hair was curly and silky, a darker shade of the same brown of his eyes. Hers was silky and blond, flipping elegantly over her slender shoulders.

She had been watching him the whole year, fantasizing about how they would be along together, talking and smiling and laughing and flirting. He would take her to football games and to movies, telling her how much he loved her the whole time. They could go to her favorite restaurant, order iced tea and sit for hours at a time, staring into each other's eyes.

During the summer, she would show him her special swimming spot on the river, and they would leap into the pristine waters, fingers laced together. Afterwards, they could sit on the grassy banks together, watching the clouds move over their heads.

"Emily." His voice distracted her from her daydreams and she jumped a little.

"Yes?" Heart pounding, she glanced up at the object of her affections.

"Can you tell Cait to meet me out back after school when you see her next period? I'll probably forget." Her heart fell.

"Of course." Swinging her long hair over her shoulder, she hid disappointed tears.

Of course. How stupid of her. He would never be hers. All she could do was to gaze from afar and swallow bile every time she saw him with Cait.

After class, he met Cait at the door. Cait smiled sunnily at her boyfriend and lifted a hand to touch his shoulder. He tipped her chin up and kissed her on her lips.

She watched from her desk. A swallow of hurt grew bigger in her throat.

And just like that, he was gone. Cait bounced over to her desk. "Hey, best friend!"

And as always, she replied, "Hi yourself, best friend."