Comparison - Life of Pi by Yann Martel VS Tyger by William Blake | Teen Ink

Comparison - Life of Pi by Yann Martel VS Tyger by William Blake

May 22, 2013
By Steven_Hyde GOLD, Auburn, New York
Steven_Hyde GOLD, Auburn, New York
17 articles 1 photo 21 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Just Do It"
- Nike
"An eye for an eye only makes the world blind"
- Ghandi


In the Life of Pi by Yann Martel and Tiger by William Blake, we are told that tigers are beautiful, ferocious creatures. In our minds, we see a tiger as this big, majestic cat with orange fur and black stripes. We usually think of them as a big, cuddly cat but in nature, they are ruthless killers. They kill for survival and even just to kill. It’s their natural instinct

In the Life of Pi, Yann Martel describes Richard Parker, a Bengal tiger, as this large, illusive cat that remained unnoticed for three days while Pi lay on the tarpaulin. As readers, you view Richard Parker as a creature to fear but Martel states that Richard Parker is the reason Piscine “Pi” Molitor Patel remained alive. Richard Parker gave Pi some hope and a distraction.


But Life of Pi, the author clearly states that Pi is is scared of Richard Parker. But while he’s on the lifeboat Pi actually attempts to tame Richard Parker and succeeds. But clearly, Pi is still terrified of him even though he knows Richard Parker views him as the superior animal on the boat. And when the lifeboat ends up on the shore of Mexico, Richard Parker ends up running away once the boat reaches shore.

In comparison, the tiger in Williams poem the tiger whose fur burns bright orange. That skulks in the darkness of the forest. In which the tiger fills everyone who crosses his path with fear. Fear that curdles in their stomach. And are immobilized with fear until either the tiger goes away or attacks.

Even though, the tigers in each of the writings seem different. But in reality, they are quite similar to one another. For example, they both strike people in the eye with complete fear. They are extremely beautiful creatures of the wild. They are different in their own ways like, Pi is less fearful of Richard Parker. But on the contrary, any hiker that would come in contact with a tiger would be filled with fear.