Burnt Out | Teen Ink

Burnt Out

By crazy4bb SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
crazy4bb SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

Aspire to inspire before you expire <3

At ten o’clock at night who wants to sit down and write a paper? After waking up around six to go to school, sitting and trying to comprehend something, squeezing in a little bit of food and rushing off to work or sports; who in their right mind has any motivation to buckle down and produce good work? A long day full of annoying people and stressful situations really takes a toll on a person. Even the strongest, happiest people can relate to this. So as I’m writing this lovely paper, know that that is the boat I am in right now- so pardon my lack of enthusiasm.

Sitting here with droopy eyes, trying to focus, surrounded by distraction, my mind is beginning to wonder. My blanket is mocking me, it’s saying “cuddle up with me, I’m so warm” and my TV is giggling as it encourages me to feast my heavy eyes on me so that it can lull me to sleep. But no, I must stay strong. I must persevere. I must finish this paper. I have no idea where the next paragraph will lead but I will keeping typing and deleting until something dawns on me because I need to get some sleep before the dawn breaks.

Waking up tomorrow with an unfinished paper will leave me frustrated with a poor grade and my teacher disappointed because she knows I can do better. I can’t let that happen, but my bed is so appealing. I would do anything to close my eyes just for a minute. Maybe a cat nap would do me good. Who am I kidding, I’d be out like a light if I tried that. Shutting my eyes right now would be the recipe for failure.

As the idea of failure seems less and less like such a terrible thing and my patience is really running thin my paper is coming to its conclusions. What else could I include to amuse my readers just a little longer to finish this paragraph? Maybe some inspirational quote like “Quitters never win and winners never quit”. These are words to live by.

Next time you’re zoning out, staring at the blank computer screen, nearly in tears because you’re so burnt out; remember you’re not alone. Pick up your head and persevere through. Soon you will look at your paper with satisfaction and you won’t even know how you got to wrapping up your final thoughts. The blanket will be even warmer than it would have before and the television will be even more entertaining as you fall asleep with the satisfaction of knowing you didn’t give up. In one small
step you bettered yourself just that much more. These small efforts play a big part in how you treat large responsibilities. Conquering hardships of all sizes, large and small are a true reflection of your character. So keep on keeping on.

All high school students can relate to this piece.