You Still Have Me | Teen Ink

You Still Have Me

By Jasmine.Chini BRONZE, Vista, California
Jasmine.Chini BRONZE, Vista, California

I always wonder why
birds stay
in the same place
when they can fly
anywhere on the earth.
Then I ask myself
the same question.

-Harun Yahya

Its been eight years since the Anderson parents were killed, making Leo seventeen, Zero eight. Their seventeen year old son knew very well what happened, a man who's mind was nowhere on earth had broke into their home. The gruesome things that young Leo had seen, he knew would never fade into his forgotten memories. Forever haunting his dreams, every night the scene would play in his head.

Leo was nine at the time, his little brother had just been a mouth old. He was sleeping silently on his bed, blankets neatly covered him, the spotless room evenly lit by the moonlight. Zero, a name Leo came up with, was soundly sleeping as well. Toys littered the floors, a mobile slowly circling over the white crib, humming the lightest tune. The two adult parents of the children where the same, peacefully lost in dreams.
A loud 'bang' sounded from the kitchen, waking up the woman, "Robert, honey, someone's downstairs." She said, shaking the sleeping man that was laying beside her.
He stirred awake, "Your just hearing things-" Robert was cut off by another sound.
I sounded like someone was dropping pans, then kicking them. Robert quickly told his wife to get the kids, then made his way downstairs. The woman, Martha, quickly and quietly went into Leo's room, waking him up, and told him to get his little brother and hide somewhere, then wait until she got them. The groggy little boy had gained more consciousness, and scurried to the baby's room and scooped him out of the crib. Leo was always a very responsible and smart kid, always thinking. He looked left and right and spotted a white closet. He cradled still asleep infant and sat in the closet and shut the door. Noises were made from downstairs, and Leo just cradled Zero in the corner of the closet. Loud foot steps and bangs progressed up the stairs. Leo knew that this was not a game, something bad was happening. He watched through the slits of the closet, the room doors swung open, and someone that Leo couldn't make out was thrown to the ground. The person that threw him or her towering over them. Another person came in and tackled the towering one. They all struggled against one another, but one fell right in front of the closet, going limp. Leo lowered his head to a lower slit, to see the body of his mother. Leo was shaking in fear, as another that looked like his father was pierced and fell to the floor. The alive man slowly left the room, Leo was frozen. He heard the front door open and close, although he didn't move a muscle. Police, called by worried neighbors fled in the house, yelling nonsense. Leo watched as dark red fluid inched it's way under the door of the closet. Zero slowly faded awake, but never cried, he was never a crier. The policeman yelled when he came into the room to the people sprawled on the floor. More fled in and one looked to see the closet, and slowly made his way to it. He opened in to see the small child with the baby in his arms, all his color drained from his face, eyes as wide as dinner plates, and shaking viciously. He called another officer to pick up the baby and he picked up the terrified boy.
The two officers carried the two to a police car, "Your gonna be alright sport." The man said to Leo, Leo looked at the name stitched into the shirt 'Maverick'.
Leo clutched onto his uniform, letting silent tears finally escape his eyes. After finding a car seat for the infant, the two boys in Maverick's back seat. Maverick strapped Leo in, then Zero and hopped in the front seat.
"Where are you taking us?" Leo asked, eyeing Maverick from the review mirror.
"To the police station, find you a legal guardian until further notice." He said keeping his eyes on the road.
"I want to stay with my grandparents." Leo blurted.
"I'll see what I can do." Maverick said in a conferring tone.

Zero crawled out of bed, slowly creaking open the door to his room. He stuck his head out the door to see if anyone would spot him. He tiptoed down the hallway and in front of his older brother's room. Zero opened the door and cringed at the sound of the door creaking. He looked around the clean room, the blankets neatly laid on his bed. the soft carpeted floor clear of anything. The whole room was clean, the total opposite of his cluttered one. He climbed on the big bed and got under the blankets. Zero stared at the football helmet that sat on his older brother's neat desk. Zero looked up to Leo, his older brother is the captain of the football team, and is very popular and handsome, and at the top of all of his classes. Girls always flirted with Leo when the two brothers where out, they adored his electric blue eyes and black hair, and strangely found his emotionless personality charming. Zero had the same features as his, same eyes, hair, and had a athletic stamina like his brother.
Leo walked down the dark hall, glass of water occupying his hand. He found his door half open, he took a gulp of water. When he lowered his head and opened his eyes again he saw Zero asleep in his bed. Leo walked to the side of the bed and laid down next to the 'sleeping' boy. Zero gulped and peeked out one of eyes to watch Leo's chest rise and fall as he took in steady breaths.
"Go to sleep Zero, you have school in the morning." Leo's monotone yet stern voice said.
"Night brother." Zero said quietly, but the thought of sleep was not in his mind.
"Goodnight Zero." He replied, closing his eyes.
"…Leo?" Zero said quickly.
"What is it?" Leo asked unfazed.
"I've… been wondering, where you ever happy? …Like did you ever smile?" Zero asked, fidgeting with the hem of the blanket.
Leo was silent for a moment, "Yes." He said in his usual tone.
"Why aren't you happy anymore? I mean, we lost mom and dad, but… you still have me." Zero said looking at his older brother.
Leo finally made eye contact with his younger brother, but he was silent. Silence filled the room, Zero regretted the personal question that he uttered. But then, even through the darkness, with the dim lighting of the moonlight. He saw Leo smile softly, even kind looking, showing of his perfectly white teeth.
"Your right, and you are the most important thing in the world to me." Leo said softly.
"Really?! So your gonna come to my soccer game tomorrow?!" Zero said like he had just gotten his favorite toy for christmas.
A soft, calm chuckle came from Leo, "I wouldn't miss it for the world."

Zero had never been more confident at one of his games before, the fact that his other brother that was his hero and role model was watching from the bleachers, that his number one motivation to win. As he made the winning goal, his eyes darted to Leo sitting by his grandparents sitting in the stands. Leo stood up and cheered, before any other family and friends of the other teammates joined him. Zero smiled as his team cheered him but he never was so happy to see one person cheer for him. Zero had always wanted to make his all-star brother proud of him.
After the game the team and all of their parents, including the coach went to get icecream, Zero's grandparents had left in their car. Zero had been sitting along proudly next to his older brother at a booth along with his closest friends from his team.
"That was sooooooo cool, we totally kicked their butts!" One of the small boys said, his mother cleaned up his icecream covered face.
"Is this YOUR brother?" One asked licking his cone.
"Yes, this is Leo, Captain of the football team." Zero bragged.
"He's so cool." Another blurted.
"Ya." Another added.
Zero climbed into the back of Leo's shiny black sports car. Leo climbed into the Drivers seat and started the ignition, then drove off. Zero watched as his friends was watched the blacked out expensive car zoom off, in amazement. A proud smile was plastered onto Zero's face.

"You. Are. So. Awesome." Zero whispered, making a smirk appear on Leo's face.