What I Learned From You | Teen Ink

What I Learned From You

By TaraEmily BRONZE, McLean, Virginia
TaraEmily BRONZE, McLean, Virginia

I learned from you to play music too loudly.

Growing up, I almost never wore earbuds because I was nervous about ruining my hearing. Whenever I thought my hearing was getting worse, I wouldn't listen to music for days because I wanted to preserve the sensitivity of my ears.

You changed that. "I'm blowing out my brains with music," you told me. I was horrified. "Don't do that," I implored. "You want your ears. You want your brains." You laughed then, as though you were years older than me, and told me I had a lot to learn.

I suppose you were right. I did learn a lot from you. I used to sip at hot drinks and now I gulp them down and relish the scalding feeling in my throat. I used to dip my toes in freezing-cold pools and now I jump in with my eyes closed and my teeth clenched and tell myself that I have conquered the cold. I used to smile at boys and feel genuinely vulnerable when they'd smile back. Now I smile with a hardened heart and feel nothing but fleeting regret when they smile back.

I used to look left, right, and left again before crossing the street. Now I step out into the road and then look, a half-hearted attempt to pretend I'm still trying.

JRaye PLATINUM said...
JRaye PLATINUM, Dorr, Michigan

"If you build your house far enough away from Trouble, then Trouble will never find you."

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and said, 'I just don't care.'?"

I love the idea of people changing us for the better, and I feel like everyone can relate to it. Your writing is also very simple but smart at the same time, which is aweseome - gives the narator an honest voice. I also love how although the girl has changed a lot because this person touched her life, she never lost herself - she's still a little scared of what's coming next, still a little vunerable. That's how we all should live, taking risks constantly but still be aware of being scared. Fearless. I'm not sure if I overthought this piece entirely or you meant for a reaction like this, but yeah....That's what I got from this. I also see that this is the first piece you've uploaded and I'm happy to be your first comment! Welcome to Teenink! :D