Sitting For Justice | Teen Ink

Sitting For Justice

By BlueSiamese213 BRONZE, Belleview, Florida
BlueSiamese213 BRONZE, Belleview, Florida

I press on toward the goal to win the prize in which Christ has called me heavenward.
Philippians 3:14

A woman sits at the bus stop after an arduous day at work. The wind blows chilling gusts, sending decaying leaves rolling down the sidewalks. The bus approaches and as the woman gets on she pays the required fare. She takes her seat. Thoughts of the day and home roam her mind. At the third stop white citizens board, only to find that there was an absence of seats left for them. The bus driver approaches the rear and mandates that blacks must move. Rosa Parks refused to let segregation dictate her life. She refused: one conscience act that has had a lasting impact on the world and its people.

I would love to go back in time and be with Rosa Parks in person during her times of struggle and triumph. I could be an encouragement and tell her to keep going no matter how hard it seems. That it will all pay off in the long run and that she is serving as the voice for all. Another blessing of being in the presence of Rosa Parks would be that I could have heart-to-heart conversation with a hero. A small glimpse into her mind during the boycott would be a gift from God. Was she frightened? Did the feeling of constant belittlement finally turn to anger and rage? Had she premeditated her actions? Was she assessing the coming consequences or thinking of her family and loved ones in the midst of her defiance?

Her wisdom, strength, and bravery are continuously regarded today. Rosa Parks is not only a conqueror and leader for her generation. Her inspiration cultivates mine and others emotional and moral values. Once hearing her story I see things in a different light. She paved the way for changes that are still standing today.

If the occasion to go back in time ever crossed my path I would like to think that I would be brave enough to remained in my seat, reached over and interlaced my fingers with hers, taking a stand for what is right.

This was the essay that I wrote to be accepted into the AICE program.