Vision in the Valley | Teen Ink

Vision in the Valley

By PirateCountry DIAMOND, Muncie, Indiana
PirateCountry DIAMOND, Muncie, Indiana

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

It came first as a whisper and as the nights stretched by became crisper and clearer. I heard the howls and moans drawn nearer. The groans and hiccups had grown ever queerer. I did my best to close my eyes, promised to live to see another sunrise, to be wise in my ways and not hide my face. But I knew it had come to put me in my place.
The terror I felt sent tremors through the floor. I felt tears sting my cheeks as I sat by the door. The calling, the screaming, the gentle beckoning never stopped. My ears popped with the sound topped with a headache and an uneasy feeling that someone was watching, catching my every breath; leading me into a slow and steady death.
I prayed and hoped and I caved in. No aid would come, I was sure to fade. If I stayed where I was, if I paid no attention, then surely the confidence would ease my tension. The suspense was wicked and its smile was crooked. I understood its intent. It was bent on putting a dent in my shield. “Repent! Repent!” it cried as I eyed it warily. Tripping and falling wearily. Momentarily losing all sight of the light that was so bright it would not be ignored.
Having my faith restored, moving toward my goal never to be fulfilled. I willed the kingdom to rebuild its walls and I crossed the threshold and sat upon the throne. Alone and discouraged, lacking the courage to carry on.