Steadfast | Teen Ink

Steadfast

By E.D.M98 PLATINUM, Woodbury, New Jersey
E.D.M98 PLATINUM, Woodbury, New Jersey

Did you know you grind your teeth when you overexert yourself?

I didn’t, not until now. It’s odd, that after all these years we’ve been together, I hadn’t ever noticed that. I bet there are a lot of things I didn’t notice about you until now. Like how your eyes have a teensy-tinsy bit of gold in them, or that small freckle in the crook of your elbow. I don’t think I understood the strength of your spirit until you decided to stay with me despite all their pleas.

I bet there are still a lot of things about me that you don’t know.

And anyway, why are you overexerting yourself? For what reason (my sake?) are you giving me these little insights into your being? I didn’t ask you to, you know, and I didn’t expect you to, either. I mean, you’ve always said you were faithful and devoted to your duty, but I do not deserve your devotion. I don’t deserve this punishment either, but you I can never hope to become worthy of. It’s my fault your heart has been ripped out anyway; I’m the reason your sons have been taken from you. Can you forgive me so easily?

Or is it, even more shockingly, that you don’t even blame me in the first place?

You’re at your limit, I see. You’re going to move away for a bit, a few seconds only I know — seconds that will feel like eternities — but then you’ll be back, trying to protect me for however long you can. My sweet, I will never be worthy of you. I do not deserve such steadfast love.

But since you’re offering, I will take it.

A short little piece that goes along with another story of mine; this is a husband's thoughts on his wife's loyalty, somewhat based on the story of Lokie and Sigyn from Norse myths.