Do You Remember? | Teen Ink

Do You Remember? MAG

By Anonymous

June was you by the pool. The day we first met, remember? I thought you were just one of those brawny lifeguard guys – you know the type: pretend to be all sweet, save the little kid from drowning, then go out and get totally hammered at night. I paid no ­attention to you, thought you were one of the heartbreakers, the ones I couldn’t care less about. But you had that smile with the dimples, and you came over just to offer me a watermelon Jolly Rancher. My favorite flavor. How did you know? That’s when I knew you were different.

July. August. After work we’d spread ourselves out on the field and drown in the sun, laugh at all those stupid jokes that aren’t even funny anymore. Why did we laugh so much back then?

Your studio, an explosion of color with your paintings enclosing you like a corral. Sometimes they made me jealous, when you saw them more than you saw me, but I loved them all the same. I loved that one of the beautiful girl with the long black hair, the one who looked so sad, but you wouldn’t say who she was. You’d never say. I’ll never know. So many secrets locked up in that little box of yours. You were fun, but you were serious.

“I want to be painted like that,” I said, because the painting was so beautiful. And you said, “Okay. Let’s do it.”

I still have that painting of me, by the way. You can only see half my face in it. “Why is that?” I asked. You shrugged. Another secret.

September. October. I love October. And you loved it too. When the leaves dance on the sidewalk and twirl through the air, when the world bleeds orange and red, and the air is like your stepmom’s apple crisp. We breathed it in together. We stood on the hill and closed our eyes, stretched our arms and spun around like five-year-olds, forgetting there was a world below. We listened to the wind whisper our names.

October was when we took the train downtown. It was fun that day, I don’t remember why. We skipped school (that was when school didn’t matter) and we rode downtown with your easels and paper and chalk and pencils, and we were going to draw fall. We drew the houses and trees, little kids flying a kite in the park, a mother duck and her ducklings wading through a river, a man asleep on a park bench, a maple leaf crisper than your stepmom’s apple crisp.

And you said, “Fall is a bit sad.”

And I asked why, and you said, “I dunno. It means summer’s over. It’s like ­losing something you can’t have back, like love.”

And I said, “But summer always comes back, doesn’t it?” And you said maybe.

We raked up a pile of leaves with a stick. We made this really big pile, laughing and running around it, losing half the leaves ’cause we’d stuff them in each other’s hair and shirts. We held hands, almost afraid to jump, like little kids taking their first dive into the deep end. One, two, three, go! And we sank into the big orange bed together.

I remember your easel that I carved my initials into. I remember the dimples on your cheeks, the eyes that were always on me. Your worn-out copy of The Great Gatsby that you read to me sometimes, and your plaid red scarf. I have that scarf, by the way. I wish it still smelled like you.

It’s October again, and the leaves are still dancing and the geese are still singing their good-bye song, and the bullfrog doesn’t sing because the pond’s almost frozen over. I wore your scarf yesterday as I rode the train downtown. I crossed the street to the park where we made the bed of leaves, and I tried to remember exactly where it was. And fall feels a little sad this year, like losing love.

I’m waiting to see if the summer comes back.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 284 comments.


on Jun. 21 2010 at 8:40 pm
DannyKid33 PLATINUM, Pleasant Hill, California
34 articles 2 photos 81 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't ever let the media tell you what to look like. You're beautiful the way you are. Stay beautiful, keep it ugly." - Gerard Way.

beauitfiul peice its adorable and sad at the same time :) hey anyone who sees this can u comment on some of my work?? thx :)

on Jun. 15 2010 at 2:18 pm
OfficialApprover PLATINUM, Orefield, Pennsylvania
48 articles 0 photos 1752 comments

Favorite Quote:
Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
We cannot change the cards we're dealt just how we play the hand
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
It's pretty easy to be smart when you're parroting smart people
-Randy Pausch

Aww, this piece is so sweet!  Great expressions and use of language, beautiful and sad.  Please keep writing!

Btw, anyone who sees this, will you check out my work and comment on it?


S.S.Y. GOLD said...
on Jun. 12 2010 at 3:48 pm
S.S.Y. GOLD, Toronto, Other
19 articles 2 photos 28 comments

Favorite Quote:
"After all, tomorrow is another day" -- Scarlett O'Hara

"It is the east, and Juliet is the sun!" -- Romeo

"I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it." -- Stephen Leacock

It's an amazing piece. I love your use of language! Good job!

on Jun. 12 2010 at 2:26 pm
livsinthecity SILVER, Toronto, Ontario
6 articles 13 photos 40 comments

Favorite Quote:
Love means never having to say you are sorry.
-Erich Segal (in Love Story)

amazing....it was like reading a love letter...a  piece witch didnt let me off till the very last word

on Jun. 12 2010 at 11:47 am
okinawagirl SILVER, Yuma, Arizona
5 articles 7 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the LORD shall be praised-Proverbs 31:30
"All the World's a Stage"-Shakespeare

Wow, that is amazingly well writen, well done!

PS:check out my work please? thanks.


Kicon BRONZE said...
on Jun. 12 2010 at 12:58 am
Kicon BRONZE, Klamath Falls, Oregon
2 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Never say goodbye. Because goodbye means going away and going away means forgetting." ~Peter Pan

This is really, really pretty and heartfelt.  It feels like she's writing a letter and she's very sad and distant about it, like she's trying to move on but can't because she's waiting to see if the summer will come back.  ^.^

on Jun. 9 2010 at 2:07 pm
ShantelTheAuthor BRONZE, North Carrollton, Mississippi
4 articles 0 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you think you can do it go for it!

I love your poetic stly of this story.It's very cute and sweet. It was also like reading a love letter.

on May. 31 2010 at 9:47 pm
SchuylerSorensen SILVER, Mullica Hill, New Jersey
7 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
The most important things are the hardest things to say. They are the things u get ashamed of because words diminish your feelings - words shrink things that seem timeless when they are in ur head to no more than living size when they are brought out.

Very sweet and pretty.  Loved it.

on May. 21 2010 at 9:04 pm
forgottenpenname GOLD, Troy, Michigan
12 articles 0 photos 147 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Carpe diem."

Oh my gosh, that was amazing. Very poetic and very deep and very sweet. I loved every bit of it. :)

on May. 21 2010 at 2:33 pm
MemorialMustangs GOLD, McAllen, Texas
10 articles 1 photo 12 comments
wow i really loved your poem it is relateable yet different in a way it is really a masterpiece! :)  great job! :)

on May. 21 2010 at 1:48 pm
treegirl93 BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
1 article 0 photos 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
Be nice to trees- they'll become books someday.

I liked how you incorperated the beginning and end together- that kept it going smoothly.

on May. 21 2010 at 11:52 am
Shannon727 BRONZE, New York, New York
1 article 0 photos 4 comments

wowers(:

i thought the poem was deep. its so true when sesons change, so does love. good work on the poem i loved it.


on May. 21 2010 at 7:26 am
abigaildianne SILVER, New Albany, Indiana
5 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
Never Fall for someone unless they're willing to catch you

This was so deep. Very good. i loved it.

on May. 21 2010 at 2:26 am
bgirlnumber4 GOLD, Vancouver, Washington
11 articles 11 photos 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
Be yourself, Everyone else is already taken

Hey everyone, i am thinking about writing a novel and i was wondering if you could let me know what you think about this little sample article, TeenInk.com/fiction/romance/article/207945/Falling/ 

THanks! :)


on May. 4 2010 at 8:32 pm
RyanDNgu BRONZE, Jackson Height, New York
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments
Woah this is magnificent, very deep and detail description.

on Apr. 29 2010 at 5:32 pm
poisonivy BRONZE, Chandler, Arizona
3 articles 0 photos 30 comments
I love this story! You have a talent in writing stories...I hope to read more of your works!

Axoxo9 said...
on Apr. 29 2010 at 4:46 pm
I love this! It reminds me of my summer romance. i met this guy and he was amazing. Whenever he looked at me he always smiled. But then summer came and everything changed. This reminds me of that. You are an amazing writer.

Duckie430 said...
on Apr. 29 2010 at 2:20 pm
Duckie430, Riverside, Rhode Island
0 articles 0 photos 228 comments

Favorite Quote:
“The secret to life is being who you are and being happy with who you are.”
"Whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger."

amazing. i love this.

Honeybunn GOLD said...
on Apr. 25 2010 at 11:16 am
Honeybunn GOLD, Chesterfield, South Carolina
11 articles 1 photo 18 comments

Favorite Quote:
*look inside my quote book*

Wow. this was really good. (like that really come to a surpise though :]  )  thanks for commenting on my article. after reading this, i feel honored that you liked mine.

halez96 SILVER said...
on Apr. 8 2010 at 3:28 pm
halez96 SILVER, North Augusta, South Carolina
7 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return." -Moulin Rouge

I keep looking back at this post. It makes me feel kind of sad, but at the same time, it makes you feel happy to hear about a love like that.

You're an a amazing writer.