Priceless | Teen Ink

Priceless

By archerygirl202 BRONZE, Parma, Ohio
archerygirl202 BRONZE, Parma, Ohio

"Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company." -George Washington

A delicate glaze of frost coated the outside of my bedroom window. My fingers pressed against the glass, sending an icy chill through my body as I looked outside at my home, Alaska. The grass looked almost dead with the frost acting as a blanket on top of it. The beautiful evergreen trees swayed mildly in the wind.
“You ready?” the voice of an eight-year-old boy whispered from behind me.
“Yeah, just checkin’ the weather,” I replied to Finn, my little brother. Although he is just eight years younger than me, the time we spend together is priceless to me. “You have some money ready so we can pick up some treats for the dogs a little later?”
Finn held up a worn leather wallet with a smirk, “You’re so behind.”
I smile, “I’ll be right out there.”
Finn and I go on trips to the store early in the morning pretty often. But it just stays between us because our parents don’t like us being out alone before sunrise. It doesn’t matter, though; our parents are pilots and work at this time, so they won’t be home to find out.
I slide my feet into a thick pair of brown winter boots, tuck the messy bun made of my long, dark brown hair into my dad’s old rabbit-skin hat, and button my winter coat snuggly around my body.
“Let’s go,” I say to Finn, as I find my way to the front door of our rickety, old house.
“The Northern Lights!” Finn says excitedly, “I haven’t seen them in so long.”
I ruffled his hair that is the same color as mine, “Let’s get the dogs and you can look at the lights while we ride. That’s the reason I chose to go to the store this morning.”
“Thank you for taking me.” Finn said coolly as we worked the dogs’ leashes onto the sled.
I gingerly petted the soft heads of my sled dogs, pausing when I reached my lead dog, Windy. His blue eyes look so full of life as I scratched behind his ears. After the dogs started steadily moving, I began to relax more. The trees covered in a light snow looked magical with the Northern Lights in the background.
“Hey,” I lightly nudged Finn in the side, “Are those wild blueberries up ahead?” I began to slow down the sled.
“Let’s go see,” Finn sniffles from the cold air.
The frozen grass crunching beneath our boots, Finn and I decided that the berries are wild blueberries.
“Happy breakfast,” I said sarcastically, as I pop a naturally frozen berry into my mouth. The silence is beautiful as Finn and I eat blueberries off the ground and watched the Northern Lights top off the scenic landscape of mountains and trees.
“I’m done with the blueberries,” Finn sighed.
I slowly stand back up and walk back to the sled, refreshed by the small snack of berries.
The wind picked up harder and blew against my face, forcing me to squint my icy blue eyes. The snow covered mountain peaks look like they are slightly moving as the General Store comes into view. The wood looks as if it is beginning to rot on the front porch leading to the log cabin-like store. The inside is rustic. A canoe hangs from the ceiling, a wood burning stove sits in a distant corner warming the store, and antler chandeliers hang from above. It feels like home here.
“Hey Willow and Finn,” a man with darker skin and black hair, the owner of the store, waves to me, “Can I help you find something?”
“Hi Mr. Gray,” I say it like he is my own dad or something, “Just some treats for my dogs and Finn might wanna pick something out.”
“Okay,” Mr. Gray wipes the check-out desk clean of dust. “Oh, we got your order for the new leash for Windy yesterday.”
“Cool, let me go bring him in so we can try it out,” I say as I walk back out the door to retrieve the dog, “Go pick out something you want Finn.”
I walk back into the warmth of the store with Windy by my side and direct him over to Mr. Gray while we try on the leash.
Finn walks around, carefully deciding what he wants, “Can I get this?” He holds up a wooden hand crafted model dog sled.
“Sure,” I say, “Just don’t forget to pay for it.”
“No,” Mr. Gray smiles, “Take it… it’s free.”
Finn’s eyes widen with thanks, “Thank you so much!”
“You don’t have to do that,” I say to Mr. Gray. He ignores my comment.
“Why don’t you go put it in the sled bag so it doesn’t get ruined,” I say to Finn.
“Okay,” Finn shrugs, “I’ll be right back.” He walks out the door.
A loud rumbling sound shakes the floor of the store. The dim lighting in the store becomes nothing but a repetitive flicker. I hold onto the smooth, sanded check-out desk with my hands to keep my balance. It becomes louder and there is more shaking. I know what this is. Everyone in Alaska knows what it is. An avalanche.
“FINN!” as I rush to go out the door I scream the words so loud, that my throat feels raw. No. This can’t have happened. Finn knows what that noise means. He has to be okay. The battle in my head gives me a headache.
“NO!” Mr. Gray holds me back with his rough hands, “It’s too late. You can’t risk your life too!”
“LET GO OF ME!” My voice is scratchy and hoarse, “MY BROTHER!”
“NO!” Mr. Gray is louder this time.
Then the tears come. Pouring down my face as the noise quiets down. Mr. Gray still grips me tightly, not letting me go any time soon. Finn won’t be back, I think to myself.