The Forbidden Chase | Teen Ink

The Forbidden Chase

January 12, 2009
By emilythejelly PLATINUM, New City, New York
emilythejelly PLATINUM, New City, New York
28 articles 0 photos 4 comments

C’mon kiddo you can get it! It’s right over there. Angle yourself a bit more to the right, wait! What did I tell you? Steady those feet of yours. Let’s go back to the start again, you ready? Okay now, one foot over the other. Don’t become strangled and ties up in the white blurry mess below. Keep focus and have trust in your feet. Good, you’re doing fine. Just keep this up for a little while now. There is no rush, I promise. No matter how long this takes, you will get it. Victory will be yours, kiddo! How does that make you feel?

Okay so your pace is going pretty steady right about now. Hey! Hey! That doesn’t mean anything though. Just keep on running. Now here’s then plan. First off you will not do anything I say before I say go, you understand? Nod if you do little guy. Okay now there should be only two things going throughout that little brain of yours: run and don’t do anything before I say go. The first thing you’ll do, not right now though remember, is position your feet a bit off track and go in an angle. Slowly you’ll sharpen that angle. Can you do that? Go! Okay, good.

You’re doing great, perfect, perfect. Hold on, slow down a bit. Don’t get discouraged, I know it’s hard and all you gotta do is practice. Remember slow and steady wins the race. That’s you bucko, you’re gonna win the race. Okay on get back on track. You’re doing swell little guy, I’m so proud of you. Try not to mess up this time. I have faith in you. You know I think you really got it this time, I just got a feeling that I have never felt before and it’s just screaming that you’ll do it.

Deep breaths. In and out. Clear your mind of everything except for this. Concentrate. Now turn a bit more inwards, what you want to accomplish is running in a tight circle. Not just yet though, wait for the go. Put trust in your feet. Let them guide you through it. One in front of the other. Go! Swell, kiddo swell. Tighten your path a bit, that’s right. I haven’t seen you ever do this good so far. It’ll be a new record. But, don’t let that get to your head. You’re half way there but not quite there yet. One mistake can ruin the whole thing.

Just concentrate keep the prize in mind. You want it right? Well of course you do or else we wouldn’t be going through this. You know what it looks like right? Good now don’t lose focus of that image. But at the same time don’t get too excited either! You don’t want your emotions to take control and result in defeat, do ya? I didn’t think so. This is where you have to really make sure you don’t trip over your own feet or anything else for that matter. Great job, run in a circle now, you got it. Do you see it? Cause I do, right in plain view.

Now here comes the hard part. You’re gonna have to multi-task. I know it seems hard, but don’t let that get you down. It’s not hard. You can do this, I know you can and I’m not wrong ever. Keep that in mind. I’m not gonna lie to you little guy. You don’t need to worry just follow my lead and listen to everything I say and you’ll be fine. You’ll get it this time. Okay now concentrate on the image in front of you. It’s going to take some coordination and you only get one chance to get it right fellow. Okay, good, good, you’re gonna do this I know you will.
You may even go down in history, be a hero! Everywhere they’ll be reading about you’re amazing conquest. Yeah you heard me, it’ll be amazing. Okay now this is it. Look in on the target. You’re gonna have to swing your mouth just right and latch on as soon as possible. Remember everything that we’ve been going through in practice these three weeks and follow intuition. I’ll be here with you all the way through it. Don’t you forget that once you are all famous and they ask you how you did it. Just but a good word in for me and I’ll fly on by. On the count of three you’re gonna grab it. Ready? If not just tell me we can keep this going on for a bit more until you are 100% sure that you can do this. Okay 1…2…3! Jump kiddo you got this!


He fell on his face, his nose engrossed with the carpet. Its fibers itching the insides of his nostrils. Face of discontent, as he wallows upon the floor.


Maybe you’ll catch your tail another time, kiddo.