Dawn of A New Day Chapters 1-3 | Teen Ink

Dawn of A New Day Chapters 1-3

By Kaitlynn GOLD, Newberry, Florida
Kaitlynn GOLD, Newberry, Florida

Chapter 1

Ashley pulled out her ringing IPhone and answered it. Hey Amy, what's up?, she asked her best friend cheerily. Ash, I have something I want to show you....could you come over? , Amy replied with a hint of fear in her voice. 15 minutes later, Ashley was watching in fascination as Amy's HSM notebook grew arms, picked up a pen, and began to write on one of it's pages. Hi , Amy read, then started shrieking. It's haunted There's just no other explanation , she cried, wringing her hands in despair. It's not haunted.....I think it's Magical , Ashley whispered. Haunted, Magical....it's all the same to me , Amy yelled, I opened it this morning, and the next thing I knew, it had sprouted arms and was.....was....waving at me Amy, you have got to calm down , Ashley said with a hint of irritation. Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. Amy fell silent as Ashley grabbed the notebook and shoved it under her bed. Who is it? , she called. It's Stephen....open up , a muffled voice came from the other side of the door. Door's unlocked, come on in , she called back. The door swung open to reveal Amy's older brother, Stephen. What's with the screaming? Is there something wrong? , he asked worriedly. We have a magical notebook It grows arms and writes on itself. , Ashley said calmly, Other than that, nothing's wrong. Stephen stared at them for a minute before bursting into laughter. You're.....you're kidding, right? , he managed to say between bouts of laughter. When he saw their serious faces, he stopped laughing and said, If this is true, where is it? , he asked with a smirk. He was surprised when Ashley sighed and pulled a notebook out from under her bed. She opened it and waited. Immediately it sprouted its arms and started to wave them around. Amy gave it a pen, and it started to write. Do you believe them now, Stephen? , Stephen read in a shaky voice, Yeah....I believe them now. Two days later, they had almost gotten used to the notebook when it suddenly stopped writing. After examining it, they still couldn't figure out what had happened, so they shoved it under Ashley's bed and promptly forgot about it. Little did they know that something much worse than a Magical notebook was about to befall them.

Hello? Is anyone there? , Ashley yelled while surveying the wreckage that was KodMan Street. Hello? Stephen? Amy? Anyone? An answering shout drifted over three wrecked cars. Ash? Where are you? It was Amy. Smiling in relief, Ashley raced to her friend's side and hugged her fiercely. Where's Stephen? Ashley asked, looking around. I don't know.....what happened? , Amy replied, a
touch of fear in her voice. I don't know....one minute, I was watching a movie,
the next....it was like the world blew up , Ashley exclaimed, Hey What's that?
She let go of Amy's hand and ran over to the large object that had imbedded
itself into the road 35 feet away. It's....it's an asteroid , she whispered in awe.
Wh.....what's an asteroid again? , Amy said from behind her. Before Ashley
could speak, a voice sounded from behind them. An asteroid is a large rock in
outer space. Occasionally they can crash into Earth, as this one did. Stephen
You're ok? , Amy asked quickly. I'm absolutely fine, Sis. , he said quietly, Now,
let's go find some shelter for the night. But Stephen, there are probably people
out here that are hurt. We should help them , Ashley said. NO They aren't important , he yelled at them, causing both girls to flinch, Sorry....I'm just a little shell-shocked. I'm sure anyone who's out here is fine. He turned and walked away. When he realized they weren't following him, he turned around with a cold look in his eyes. Come ON Look, if it makes you two feel any better, I'll come look for some other people after I've made sure you two are safe, so let's go After exchanging bewildered looks, the girls followed him.

They are so annoying , Stephen muttered as he left the girls' shelter. As if I'm going to waste my time rescuing people I could care less about I have more
important things to do He walked behind a tree trunk and sat down behind it.
I've got to get rid of them before they interfere with my Master Plan , he said to
himself. You can still fight the darkness that is growing inside you, Stephen. Don't lose your friends. , a voice said. Stephen looked up at the girl standing in
front of him. Who are you and what do you want? , he snapped. I am Kaitlynn,
Goddess of all Things Magical. , the girl replied. You're a Goddess? No offense,
but you're only a kid Goddesses are grown women , he spat in contempt. Looks can be deceiving, Stephen. You look like Amy's older brother, but you're
not anymore, are you? , Kaitlynn replied with a raised eyebrow. Just shut up,
OK? I don't need you telling me who I am , he scowled as he got up and walked
away. You are making a grave mistake, Stephen....because of that, you will feel
a curse of mine when you need your strength the most , she shouted after him.

What's wrong with him? He never acts like that , Amy said, pacing back and
forth. Oh, he's fine....he's just shell-shocked. , Ashley replied. So he said, Ash....I'm worried. Did you see the look in his eyes when we didn't follow him?
He was so....cold. , Amy whispered. I'm telling you, he's fine. , Ashley stated.
We should leave girls....there's this weird girl Kaitlynn who thinks she's a
Goddess. , Stephen's voice floated towards them. As the girls picked their way
towards him, he looked around him warily. What are you looking for Stephen? ,
Ashley asked as she came up to him. I told you what I'm looking for , he yelled
in anger. Whoa Sorry Stephen..... , Ashley replied tentatively. Yeah, whatever.....just be quiet. I'm trying to think , he replied curtly. Ashley raised her
eyebrows at Amy before rolling her eyes and turning away. She was surprised to
see a girl about her age walking towards them. Don't talk to her, girls.....she's
weird. , Stephen commanded. Ashley, Amy, your friend and brother has a
darkness in him.....you must leave him to follow your own paths. , Kaitlynn said,
You both have more power than you think. Whoa, what's all this about
darkness and power? We're just three normal teenagers....we don't have any
powers. , Amy retorted. Even as you say that, you know it's not true. , Kaitlynn
replied. Suddenly, Stephen grabbed Amy, swung her over his shoulder and started running. Stephen Stop it.....put her down , Ashley screamed as she ran
after him. He stopped running and allowed her to catch up. You know, Kaitlynn's right.....there is a darkness in me. He gave her a ghastly smile, then
spoke in a horrible gravelly voice, And I like it.....it makes my life worthwhile.
Then, with a flick of his fingers, he sent Ashley flying into a car. She tried to fight
it, but the world went black.

This is the first chapter of the novel I wrote for 2008's NaNoWriMo, or National Novel Writing Month. If you haven't heard of it, it's where you pick a goal(if you're in the young writer's program) and then write to reach that goal in 30 days. My goal was 10,000 and I reached it. Hope you guys enjoy!

Hope_Princess BRONZE, Hebron, New Hampshire

"Hope sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible."

This is such an amazing story! I absolutely love it! I'm writing a novel too, maybe you'd like to read it sometime. Except I didn't write mine in 30 days, mine took about 2 years and I'm not even the middle of my first book. Again, great job and I can't wait to read your other chapters. Keep writing!

EmilyLupfer GOLD, Tallahassee, Florida
This story so far is absolute genius. I MUST meet the person who wrote it at once! =)

Buster said...
Ahh, I hate it when that happens. The quote thing, that is.

Anyways, I am such a huge fan of this story. I hope you'll consider posting more.

Kaitlynn G said...
Hi again,

Thanks! :D I also wanted to let anyone else who reads this know that the reason it doesn't have any quotation marks is because my Word program messed it up. So, that's actually not my fault, lol.

Emmy said...
Love it, Kate!!!

Kaitlynn G said...
And just to let anyone who reads this know, this is only the first chapter. I accidentally put 1-3 on the title and forgot to change it. :)