Going And Coming | Teen Ink

Going And Coming MAG

By Anonymous

   SLOW DOWN! SLOW DOWN! But the cries were too late. The car skidded off the road and crashed into a large tree. I flew forward and hit the windshield. Everything went black.

I awoke in a lethargic state, surrounded by what felt like water. I was swimming suspended in air. There was an odd smell, I knew it well, but could not identify it. It had the smell of old rusty metal, and a kind of sweetness.

I couldn't see anything when I opened my eyes, only blackness. Frightened, I tried to scream, but when I opened my mouth no sound came out. Scared, I began to struggle. My foot moved and hit something soft and gooey. I struggled more and hit it again, only this time someone or something touched me back. The touch was odd, distant feeling. Did they even touch me? Questions swarmed: where was I? Was I in a hospital? Was I in a coma? Was I dead?

During what seemed like months, I began to forget simple things. I couldn't remember how I got here. I just laid there in the suspended, swimming state. Waiting, just waiting.

Then it happened. Everything that surrounded me shattered. I was falling. I moved, flailing my arms and legs, but it made me fall faster. What was happening? Was I dying? There was a vice squeezing on my head. Then I saw it, the sacred light and the fuzzy figures. I wanted to yell, but I knew no sound would come. I got closer and grew more frightened. It wasn't supposed to be scary; it should be peaceful. What was happening?

Everything moved faster, the squeezing moved from my head to my shoulders. The figures were closer and reaching out for me. I traveled through a small tunnel and hands grasped my head and feet. I was here!

I heard muffled voices and quick shuffling of feet. I was slapped on the back, and when I opened my mouth, I screamed. Things were stuck in my ears, eyes and mouth. When I opened my eyes, I saw a doctor standing over me. I was overcome with relief, I was alive. Then the doctor said something that struck fear into me.

"IT'S A BOY."

There was nothing left to do but scream. 1