Clips From Coates | Teen Ink

Clips From Coates

By CornerGirl BRONZE, Washington, Michigan
CornerGirl BRONZE, Washington, Michigan

I'm 147 pounds of pale skin and fragile bones, sarcasm is my only defence." -Stiles Stilinski

A young teenager, fourteen years old, fifteen, maybe, stands in front of a camera. It is a boy. He is handsome, with long black hair and a cunning face.

“Are you taping, Diana?” He asks. His voice is rich, silky, even. Smooth

“If I wasn't taping, don't you think I would have said so?” A snarky voice response from the background. A girl, this time. Diana, presumably.

The boy glares at the girl, then redirects his sharp gaze to the camera again. He straightens his yellow tie and sets it neatly against his red blazer.

“My name is Caine Soren,” he says. “I’m at Coates Academy, where I go to school.”

“Get to the point already, smart stuff.” Diana, again.

“Shut up, Diana.” Caine reaches out an arm and flicks his hand to the left. The camera goes flying, and the screen goes black.

______________________

This time, Caine is in a classroom, sitting behind a tall blonde boy. He turns toward the camera and mouths, ‘Watch this!’ Caine turns back towards the blond and closes his fist on air. He starts to pull his arm back, and the chair that the boy is sitting in slowly inches towards Caine. The blonde turns around.

“Stop touching my chair, Caine,” he growls in a low voice.

“Or what?” Caine taunts, “You gonna beat me up, Drake?”

Drake snarls at Caine, grabbing his desk and attempting to flip it. When it doesn't work, Drake sticks his tongue out at Caine and turns back around. Caine, clearly pleased, closes his fist again and continues to slowly pull back Drake’s chair with his telekinetic touch. Suddenly, Caine yanks his arm back and Drake goes flying out of his chair. The class bursts into laughter and the teacher demands silence but to no avail. Drake gets up quickly, jumping to stand in front of Caine. He slams his hands onto Caine’s desk.

“He did it!” Drake accuses angrily, “He did it!”

“Me?” Caine raises his hands in surrender, a look of mock innocence on his face. “Why, I would never!” 

Caine grins wickedly, the class’s roaring laughter only fueling his ego.

“Laugh now, b*tch,” Drake sneers. He quickly raises his hand and slams his fist into Caine’s face. 

Caine is silent for a moment, but his ears quickly turn red with anger as he tackles Drake to the floor. The laughter of the kids changes into chants of ‘Go Caine!’ and ‘Fight, Fight, Fight!’ The camera stays pointed on the two fighting boys as they roll around on the ground. After moments of fighting, Caine’s eyes meet the lens of the phone. He raises his hand and the screen blurs in motion before returning to blackness once more.

______________________

The camera shows a stunning Latino wrapping a bandage around Caine’s forearm. They are in a dorm room, and above one of the bed’s, imprinted in gold and red letters are the words: ‘Coates Academy.’ Below that is what appears to be the school motto. ‘Ad Augusta, Per Angusta.’ To high places by narrow roads.

“Hurry up, Diana. You’re talking too long!” Drake speaks from behind the shaking camera. He sets the phone on a dresser so that it is pointed at the same angle that he was holding it at and flops onto the bed beside Caine and Diana.

“I’m going as fast as I can, shark boy. You’re the one that did this in the first place, anyways.” Diana shoots an unimpressed glance and Drake, who bares his teeth at her and crinkles his nose, revealing a shark-like grin.

“Yeah, Drake. I’d be careful if I wear you. Still don't know who you’re dealing with, even after all these years?” Caine smirks at Drake, wincing slightly as Diana purposely yanks on his bandage a little too hard. Diana finishes wrapping Caine’s arm and backs away so that she is sitting on the bed next to the boys.

“Hey,” Drake growls at Diana in disgust, “That’s my bed!”

Diana smirks, looking at Drake with a mischievous glint in her eyes. “So?” she questions.

“So, I don't want you on my bed. Get off, b*tch!” Drake gets to his knees on the other bed. Caine’s hands are twitching, but he doesn’t use his power quiet yet. Instead, he turns and shoves Drake off of the bed that the two boys were on. “And I don't want you on my bed,” he says coldly. Caine pats the now empty space next to himself.

“Come sit over here, Diana. It's nice and comfy. Drake was even nice enough to warm the spot up for you!” Diana laughs harshly and shoots a smug look at Drake as she struts over to sit by Caine. Drake picks himself off of the floor and brushes himself off, balling his hands into fists and clenching his jaw.

“I’ll kill you,” Drake growls.

“No, you won’t. Because if you do, I’ll kill you,” Caine growls back.

Diana rolls her eyes. “Ladies, please.”

Drake sits himself down on his own bed, ignoring Diana. “Why did you want me to meet you and…” He pauses to glare at Diana in distaste, “her anyways?”

Caine’s expression turns serious, as does Diana’s. Caine looks at Diana next to him and she nods her head in approval.

“I need to show you something.” Caine raises his hands to his chest, as if he is preparing to catch something. “Come at me,” he suggests in a grave tone.

Diana raises her eyebrows and a smile begins to creep across her face. “Oh, better be careful, Drakey boy. Wouldn’t want to get hurt, would we now?”

Drake’s face hardens and he grins almost sadistically at Caine, choosing to ignore Diana. “Gladly,” he growls.

Drake jumps off of the bed that he is sitting on and rushes at Caine. Moments before Drake hits him, Caine pushes his arms forward and shoves Drake backwards with an invisible force. Caine smiled wickedly as Drake stared at him in a suspicious kind of awe.

“Woah,” Drake whispers in wonder.

“Woah, indeed,” Caine replies smugly.

Drake rushes Caine again at random, and this time Caine throws him towards the dresser.

“Caine, no! The pho-“ Drake hits the camera with a loud ‘thud!’ and the screen turns black once more.

______________________

The screen is still black, but this time it seems as if something is covering it.

“Promise you won’t break my phone this time, Napoleon?” Diana’s voice is muffled, but still easy to make out.

“No promises, but I’ll try.” Caine speaks and the camera is slid out of Diana’s Jean jacket.

“Deal,” she responds.

Caine and Diana are alone again; Drake is nowhere to be seen.

“Let’s try this again.” Diana holds her phone to shoulder height so that it is pointed at Caine’s face.

Caine starts to speak. “For those of you who don’t already know me, my name is Caine Soren. I’m at Coates Academy, my private boarding school.”

“More like prison boarding school,” Diana mutters.

“Shut up, Diana.” Caine raises his hand and Diana grasps her phone protectively to her chest. Caine rolls his eyes. “I was just kidding, Diana.”

“As I was saying,” Caibe says in a calm tone, “I can do things. Things that normal people can’t.” Caine raises his hand and points at a glass vase behind him. He flicks his wrist and the vase flies into the air, only to come crashing to the ground when Caine moves his finger in the opposite direction. 

“You see, I’ve gotten better at it.” Caine starts pacing around the room and the camera follows. “I used to only be able to lift a toothpick. And now? Now I can smash a dump truck with almost no effort at all. Or, I can manipulate a person.” Caine smirks, drawing the camera towards him with one hand and keeping Diana in place with the other.

“Caine Soren, you’d better not be doing what I think you’re doing,” Diana warns.

Caine points the camera at Diana and forced her body to rise off of the ground, lifting her almost ten feet into the air. “Too late,” he says arrogantly, “I already have.”

Diana sticks her tongue out at Caine and Caine uses his telekinesis to lift the phone so that it is just out of Diana’s reach. 

“You wouldn’t dare,” Diana challenges with narrowed eyes.

“Oh, but I would,” Caine responds maliciously, cackling loudly.

There is a quick blur of spinning colors as the phone falls, and the screen goes black.

My first GONE fanfiction! Gosh, I love you Caine!