The Last Of Us a different story | Teen Ink

The Last Of Us a different story

March 2, 2023
By Langston8 BRONZE, Springfeild, Ohio
Langston8 BRONZE, Springfeild, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Night time. April 28, 2034. Hornets mom was killed trying to find a possible cure for the cordyceps fungus zombie outbreak. Hornet was alone in a separate room being kept watched by a guard. They were both having a nice conversation when all of a sudden the alarms in the hospitals went off. 

He heard screaming from his mothers operating room and knew that she was in trouble. He bolted for the door but was then stopped by the guard. The guard grabbed hornet trying to get him to stop squirming. Hornet needed to get to his mom fast so he took out a knife from his belt and stabbed the guard in the neck. He broke free from the grip of the guard and bolted through the door. It was a long hallway. Red lights flashing on and off while he is running. As he gets closer to his mothers operating room he hears a man yelling.

 When he gets to the door he hears several gunshots going off. Before he could open the door the mysterious man slams it in his face knocking hornet out. He falls to the floor, his vision getting blurry and then darkness. Hornet then starts to wake up but he’s not where he was knocked out. He is somewhere with very bright lights and it’s cold and smells odd. 

As he regains consciousness he hears a woman’s voice, a voice he has never heard before. It was one of the nurses from the west side of the hospital. She looked down at Hornet and said “Wake up.. Wake up.. Wake up.’ Hornet was in such a daze he couldn't answer. He managed to sit himself up and stretch. He realized that he was in the west side parking garage and that is what the foul smell was coming from. Hornet looks at the nurse and asks what had happened. She told him that a man had breached the building and stole one of the patients that they were working on to find a cure. Hornet asked if his mother was okay. 

The nurse replied. “We don’t know any of the nurses on the east side of the building. Maybe you should take a look around when you're feeling better.” 

Hornet  got up and saw a bunch of people with tents and camps set up. Hornet went to go around and see if any of the camps had any water. He managed to find his way to a supply tent and got a canteen of water which tasted awful. He overheard two people talking about how the power had gone out on the east side of the hospital. Hornet realized that he needed to go and look around for his mom. He went outside the tent and started to yell. “MOM.. MOM… MOM WHERE ARE YOU?” he realized that just screaming mom wouldn't help because that could apply to anyone so he used her name. “HEY HAS ANYONE SEEN KELLY?” No one responded. Hornet decided that he would sneak out of the camp at night to go to the east side of the hospital in search of his mother. But first he needed a flashlight. 

He went around the camp in search of batteries because he knew everyone takes batteries out of everything. He happened to come across a middle aged man by the name of Mark. Mark told him that he already had a flashlight but wanted to know what Hornet was up to. Hornet knew that the only way he was gonna get to the east side of the Hospital was with that flashlight so he decided to tell Mark that he was going to go search for his mom on the other side of the hospital. Mark told him that as long as he could go with him then he can use the flashlight. Hornet agreed because he really didn't have much to lose so he told Mark that they would head out whenever everyone else starts to go to sleep. Mark let Hornet in his tent as they waited for nightfall. Hours and hours passed by as Hornet and Mark talked about their life. Night finally came and they got their bags ready to set out for the east side. 

No lights were on, it was pitch black. They figured that they would head out a bit further before they used their flashlights. They managed to get to the door that leads into the hospital from the garage. They opened it and headed inside. Mark turned on his flashlight and so did Hornet. The hallways were very creepy and eerie almost as if they were being watched by someone or something. They both headed through the main lobby as the rain pitter pattered on the roof. In the distance they heard clicking noises that meant there was a clicker nearby. Hornet thought to himself. “How did they manage to get in so fast I was only knocked out for a couple of hours?” They slowly crept on being very cautious of what could pop up. Until all of a sudden Mark stepped on some broken glass. The sounds of clickers got closer and closer. “RUN” screamed Mark. Hornet bolted across the lobby and the floor gave way. Hornet fell down and was in some sort of water system.

 As he watched from above he saw Mark jump down beside him. He grabbed Hornets arm and started running. They had no sense in which way they were going but they needed to get somewhere safe. Hornet picked up a brick and threw it far away to get the clickers off their tails. They turned a corner and right there standing was a clicker. They both stopped in their tracks. Any sudden noise would be certain death for both of them. Then the unthinkable happened. Mark let out a sneeze. Hornet pushed off of Mark's body to try and get away and by doing that he caused Mark to trip. All Hornet could do was run. He heard the terrible screams from Mark as he got further and further away. There was no time to feel sorry. This world was every man for themselves and that you need to do what's needed to survive. 

Hornet saw a light in the distance. It was a sewer drain leading outside of the hospital. Hornet managed to pull it open and as soon as he opened it he saw a pickup truck zoom past. He saw a quick glance of the man. “It's him.” Hornet thought in his mind. “That's the man that barged into my mothers operating room.” He had no time to waste. He got up and started walking in the direction of where the truck went. He didn't have much with him. Just a knife, sandwich and can of peaches. As he walked down further in this desolate city he managed to stumble upon a bike. It was tied up by some rope so Hornet took out his blade and cut away the rope. He fixed the chain on the bike and began to peddle away.’

 He rode for about 20 miles when he saw a gas station up ahead and there it was. The pick up truck! He needed to get closer while doing super stealth like. It was getting close to night time so it’d be good to strike soon. He went to the back of the station and there was a door. He slowly pushed it in and he had his knife in his left hand. He slowly moved behind a counter. He saw him. The man that took his mother’s life. "Joel Miller is his name.” he thought to himself. 

Joel seemed to be looking around for supplies. Hornet picked up an empty beer bottle that was next to him. He didn't see the little girl that was traveling with Joel so he assumed that she was asleep in the pick up truck. He threw the beer bottle at the ground a little further from joel. That caught his attention and so Hornet dashed behind and jumped on Joel’s back trying to strangle him. Joel pushed Hornet super hard into the wall causing him to fall off. Joel reached for his bag pulling out a gun. He pointed it at Hornet who was now laying on the ground in pain. He saw that he managed to stab Joel’s foot. 

Joel looked at Hornet and said. “Kid, what the hell do you think you're doing?” Hornet looking at Joel “YOU KILLED MY MOM DIDN'T YOU! SHE WAS THE DOCTOR WORKING ON YOUR DAUGHTER!” Joel, with a face of disappointment, told Hornet. “That is not my daughter and I did the right thing. Your mother was going to kill her trying to find a cure. Sometimes you have to do wrong to do something that is right and your mom just so happened to get in the way.“ Joel kicked Hornet in the chest and walked outside, got in his truck and drove off. Hornet decided just to stay there for the night. He knew there was no point in running off because it would just get him killed. He got up and went to the back of the store and found a couple blankets. They were filthy but would have to do it for now.  He laid them out across the floor and rolled up his jacket and used it as a pillow. He got in his makeshift bed and pulled the cover over him and tried to get some sleep. He was in so much pain from getting kicked in the stomach. And before he knew it he was asleep. 

The night goes on, crickets chirping as dew formed on the grass. The sun appears from over the mountains lighting up the store from a window. Hornet rolled over slowly, blinking his eyes looking out the broken window. He got himself up and rubbed his eyes and yawned. He put on his shoes and decided he needed to make breakfast. He got a can of chef Boyardee off of the ground and it hadn't been opened. Hornet took out a small pan from his backpack along with his mini heater. He remembered seeing a generator out back so that could help him get electricity for his heater. He went outside to the back and saw the old rusty generator. He’d be surprised if it would even start. He went to the side of it and took a hold of the handle. 

Pulled it once, nothing. Pulled it again, it started a little. Pulled it one last time and the generator got up and running. It was very loud and a lot of smoke came out of it. Hornet pulled the cord inside the gas station and hooked up his heater. He let it sit for a minute and took his knife and used it to open the can of food. He poured it into his pan and let it cook. He moved it around with a plastic spoon he found. Once it was done he realized he didn't have a bowl to put it in so he ate it out of the pan. “This is so refreshing I haven't had something this good in a long time.” He thought to himself.

When he was done he cleaned up. Put his stuff in his bag and head out to use the restroom. He came back to get his bike and set off onto the road. He was somewhere in a forest with mountains surrounding him. He then came across a big orange bridge but collapsed in the water. He drove his bike down it very slowly because he didn't want to accidentally fall in. There were cars down in the water. The water was pretty shallow but enough to sweep him away. Hornet knew he had to get across by the top of the cars. He grabbed his bike and threw it at the first car. He scooted back to get a running start. 

He was counting down in his head from 10. 10…9…8…7…6…5…4…3…2…1. Hornet dashed as fast as he could at the vehicle and he accidentally grabbed onto his bike. He fell into the river pulling his bike along with him. The current was strong pulling him underneath the water. There were sharp rocks everywhere. He managed to come up for a breath but was quickly taken under again. He turned around and saw a massive rock. He was going too fast to move out of the way so he braced for impact. He hit his back and blacked out. He slowly got up feeling a cold breeze on his face. He pushed himself up and looked around. He was surrounded by sand. Hornet coughed and coughed, his vision was very blurry. He turned around too quickly and threw up on the ground. He wiped his mouth off and got his bike which luckily washed up next to him.

  Hornet fixed the bike chain and paddled off deep into the forest. He had no clue which way he was going but he was following the river downstream. He was going for at least 2 hours and that's when he came across a dam and there was a giant wall with lights on and a door. He was so thankful because he knew people would be inside. 

He knocked on the chained door. “Hello?” he said. He heard footsteps come close and someone peeked their head out. “Who are you?” said a man in a country accent. “I'm Hornet and I'm looking for a place to stay for the night.” “Sure!” Said the man and opened the door for him. “Come on in. My names tommy.” “We're gonna have to put you in a room very quickly just to make sure you're not infected all right. We’ll have someone come check you in a couple minutes.” “Okay,” Hornet whispered softly.

Minutes go by and he’s twiddling his thumbs as he looks over and sees the door open beside him. “No it can’t be…” He thought to himself. It was Joel. “I told you not to follow me boy.” Joel said. “No no I didn’t mean to. I promise just please let me go!” Hornet said in despair. “You shoulda thought of that before coming and knocking on random peoples door huh?” Joel picked up the rusty pipe that was lying next to him.

He walked towards Hornet. “Joel please don’t I'll do whatever you want!” Hornet screamed. “It’s a little too late for that kiddo.” He held the pipe up and swung it across Hornet’s face as hard as he could.” Joel threw the pipe down next to him as Hornet was bleeding to death. “Try again next time.” Joel walked away outside and left Hornet there. He sat there lying on the ground in massive pain and blood everywhere. That was the end for Hornet. The End.


The author's comments:

Hi I'm a sophomore from Shawnee High school and this is my writing project.