Once Upon A Moment | Teen Ink

Once Upon A Moment

By DeadlyPoppy PLATINUM, Chehalis, Washington
DeadlyPoppy PLATINUM, Chehalis, Washington

"Is mayonnaise an instrument?" -Patrick, Spongebob Squarepants

One moment could be anything. One moment you could fall in love, the next you could fall out of it. One moment you could be laughing, and the other in tears. In this particular moment, Lily Evans was eating pudding.

“Evans,” James said, grinning as he patted her on the head affectionately. She glared at him in a way that made him remove his hand as if her head was on fire. “Geez,” he complained, “Who added an extra shot of ‘crabby’ in your cereal this morning?”

While other people might have been bothered by statements such as this, Lily was quite used to James’s attempt at ‘cleverness’ , and she was not amused. “Hmm,” she replied. “I don’t know. Probably the same person who sprinkled ‘arrogant jerk’ on your toast.”

James just grinned wider. “So Saturday then?” he asked, without missing a beat.

“Saturday?” Lily asked, one eyebrow raised.

“Saturday,” James repeated, unabashed. “We’ll go to the Three Broomsticks for a Butterbeer.” He nodded, as if everything was now decided.

Lily just stared at him, that same eyebrow raised. “Seriously?” she asked, in her best imitation of disbelief. Of course she had really been expecting this. Why shouldn’t she? It was a pattern. Every Thursday James asked her out for the following Saturday. He wouldn’t leave her alone for the rest of the night.

James just looked at her expectantly. “Alright,” she said simply, and returned to her pudding.

Time stopped. Well, time in the Great Hall at least. Forks hit plates, and hands holding onto glasses stopped in midair. Severus Snape stood up quickly and exited the hall, and Colin McLaggen begrudgingly handed Frank Longbottom two galleons. Only Professor Dumbledore continued on as if nothing had happened.

“Minerva?” he asked conversationally, as if they were discussing the weather. “All the students seemed to have gone silent.”

Professor McGonagall herself was even shocked. She opened her mouth several times as if to say something, but no words came out. Finally Minerva replied, “Why yes, it seems they have.”

Smiling to herself, Lily stole a glance at James.

Now watch closely, or you’ll miss it. Watch as Lily pushes a piece of hair out of her eye as she turns to look at him. See how she lowers her hand so it isn’t blocking her view. Pay very close attention as he turns to face him, and…there! Right there! Did you see it? At that moment, Lily Evans looked into James’s eyes.

A moment ago, it had all been a joke. She had humored Potter, tested just how much she could shock everyone. It had been amusing, in a perverse, twisted sort of way. But that moment, when Lily saw the look in his eyes, was the key moment in our story.

Watch carefully as the green eyes meet the hazel ones. See the hope in the hazel eyes, the happiness, but also caution, for he knows this is too good to be true. The hazel eyes scan the green ones carefully, begging, pleading for the green-eyed girl to give him a chance.

Now watch how she reacts to this. See the sudden surprise in the green eyes, as the emotions from the hazel-eyed boy hit her like a tidal wave. See how she is shocked beyond belief, then softens, allows her mind to be swept away by this side of him she’s never seen before.

Now stop staring, this is a private moment.

It does seem they are taking a rather long time. Let’s see. Hmm…Oh, alright, I have a solution: Sirius Black clears his throat loudly, disrupting the silent shared moment between the green eyes and the hazel ones. There.

“So, Saturday then?” Lily asks loftily, standing.

Poor James! All he can do is nod. He is thrilled beyond belief of course, but terrified! What madness is this? Lily Evans going out with James Potter? Those who weren’t there to witness it would laugh at this blaspheme. It has been said more than once that the day Lily Evans goes out with James Potter, Satan will ski to work. This is ridiculous of course, but James is rather frightened.

Lily smiles. “Alright then,” she says cheerily, then leaves. Yes, she left. She walked out of the Great Hall. Although, if you were watching her from the front, and not the back, as James was, you would have seen that her face was nearing a shade of maroon by this time.

Now, I have to warn you, this isn’t the end of Lily and James’s story. Far from it actually. You may have heard that they have a baby in a few years. You did hear that? Good.

Now forget you heard it.

That’s right. Forget it. Forget that they get married and have a baby and die. Just forget all of that. Because why would you want to spoil a good ending just because you already knew it was going to end that way?

Where did Lily go after she left the Great Hall? I don’t know, I have forgotten. Stop asking me stupid questions. Maybe she went to the library. It doesn’t particularly matter where Lily went after she left the Great Hall. Nor does it matter that the entire Gryffindor table erupted in cheers after she was gone. Why should it? I’ve told you a story with a happy ending, can’t you be content with that?

So forget that James and Lily get married. Forget that they are even going out on Saturday, because as a matter of fact, James contracts the Measles and cannot got to Hogsmeade that weekend anyway. But that is a different story entirely.

Where was I? Oh yes…

And they lived happily ever after.

Xandy_Day PLATINUM, Lexington, Kentucky

"I'm living in a world of goldfish."

Your writing style reminds me of Lemony Snicket. :) I love it.

xRenegadeHeart_ GOLD, --, California
Wow, that was really good. I loved it! I just love how it sounds :)

HaleyPotter SILVER, Henderson, Nevada

erised stra ehru oyt ube cafru oyt on wohsi.

That was cute ! I loved it.