Wolfgang Chapter 16 | Teen Ink

Wolfgang Chapter 16

August 2, 2010
By CheshireCat PLATINUM, Paducah, Kentucky
CheshireCat PLATINUM, Paducah, Kentucky
47 articles 0 photos 29 comments

Favorite Quote:
We're all mad here


The doorbell rang, Dakota and Maria already on their feet to answer it. Dakota was hugging someone and that’s all I could see. She grabbed her hand leading her into the front room. It was Debbie. She looked around the room at how much I messed it up but was already in front of me stroking my hair.

“What happened?” She was obviously talking to Kai.

“Would you believe me if I told you Claire did all this.”

“No of course not.”

“Well you obviously aren’t that bright.”

Debbie in the room somehow managed to make me feel weak and little, almost as if I had no control over myself but she owned me.

“Has she been running today?”

“That’s why my house looks like it was wreaked by a tornado, Debra. What happened to your sense?”

She ignored his comments. “Has she eaten today?”

“If she eats she throws up.”

“Have her teeth been hurting her?”

“She hasn’t complained about that.”

“You know I don’t approve of you taking care of my daughter. You treat her like she’s six.”

“I know you don’t approve.”

I picked up Kai’s hand and gnawed on a finger. It didn’t seem to bother him though I could see the blood dripping onto my dress.

“You should of fed her.”

“Instead of telling me everything I did wrong why don’t you tell me what I’m supposed to do.”

“Feed her, let her run, get her things to chew, and that’s all.”

“If it’s so simple maybe you should raise your own beast instead of dumping her with me.”

I bit harder on that remark and I heard him scolding me under his breath.

“She seems well behaved right now so I don’t think it would be that hard.”

“She blacks out and basically destroys everything insight! Stay her for one days and you’ll no how much pain I have to go through to keep this thing in check.”

“Maybe I will.”

“Good.”

“Good.”

Kai picked me up and carried me in a room of the house I never saw before. It was almost a second living room. Couches, a TV, but instead of a piano there was a vintage car. I held out my hands to the car but I was already on the couch with my mother, Kai out of sight.

“What’s going on, Debbie?”

“I’m staying here for a few days because your going through some changes.”

“Like…”

“Like you are turning into a werewolf.”

“That’s impossible Logan had it specially arranged so I can never be a wolf.”

“No matter what they do to you they can’t stop it. It’s heredity you were bound to get it somehow. You will join your brother’s pack and live happily ever after.”

“That’s not a happily ever after life. I hate my brother and I do not want to be a dog.”

“You’ll become best friends with Jennifer. You will even live in town.”

“By in town you mean the dog camp don’t you. And I don’t know who Jennifer is and I really don’t want to know.”

“Jennifer is Hunter’s girlfriend.”

“Oh the girl he dumped Logan for.” Saying it as a statement not a question.

“That girl you call a friend? Hunter needed a lot better than some girl who’s only career will be a model.”

“So what’s Jennifer a lawyer or something?”

“Yes actually she is.”

“Also Logan has found a much better guy and is getting married soon.”

“The girl can actually catch a date, that’s amazing.”

“Better than you can.”

“Watch your mouth.”

“I don’t have to. I’ll be eighteen soon and you won’t own me anymore. Actually you really don’t own me now considering that you never really raised me but just dropped me off with Kai.”

“I was busy unlike him.”

“Well maybe you shouldn’t of had kids if you didn’t have time to take care of them.”

“I took care of you and your brother.”

“The first chance you got you dumped him at your dad’s house then take me to Kai’s. What job did you have that you didn’t have time to spend with your kids?”

“I worked at a clothing store.”

“Which one?”

“You know…the one with the two…windows…and the door-”

“Where were you?”

“At the spa.”

“So you ditch your own children to go to a spa? I can’t believe you Debbie.”

“You two were to much to deal with.”

“Then why have kids?”

I didn’t wait for her to answer but just got up and left the room. I found another room I never went in. It was basically a game room. I was facing the glass wall and Kai, Clide, and Sunee were in the room. Kai and Clide were hitting something with their hands on a ping pong table though I couldn’t tell what it was. It definitely wasn’t a ball though.

“What are you two doing?” I asked.

They all looked at me just as the ball went straight into Kai’s hand. He grabbed his hand pulling the ball out that I could now see was a bullet. I looked at his hand and though the wound wasn’t deep I could see his flesh.

“I thought you were with Debbie?” Kai questioned me.

“She got on my nerves.”

“See why I left her?”

“She is so annoying! I know that it may be mean and rude to say so but I wish she would get hit by a car.”

“That is quite rude.” He laughed.

“Who abandons their children to go to a spa.”

“Many people.”

“I’m going to bed.”

“It’s only ten.”

“Ten is late enough.”

Walking out the room and up the steps I went in Kai’s room surprised when both Kai and my mother were already there. She was on the couch and he was on the bed. Debbie left and I laid in the bed closing my eyes just as the lights went off. I woke in blackness then blacked out. But something grabbed me and I heard my name many times. The blackness drained away and I was at the edge of the bed hands reached out to choke Debbie who was in the chair in front of me. Kai had a tight grip on my waist and tears heavily came down my cheeks as I recalled what was happening. She didn’t even seem shaken but just a small since of surprise.

“Kai get her out of here.” My voice trembling as I talked.

“No.”

“I don’t want to hurt her.”

“And you won’t now go back to sleep.”

“Get her away from me Kai before I hurt her.”

“Claire listen to me. You won’t hurt her at all.”

“It would make me feel better if she left.”

Debbie stood up and simply left the room. I quickly went back to sleep though when I woke up in the morning I didn’t feel like I had had any at all. Walking down the steps Debbie was at the table next to my usual seat. Sitting next to her I didn’t look up.

“I’m not mad at you.” She reassured me.

“You should be.”

“Why?”

“Because I tried to kill you.”

“When I was your age I did the same thing by pure accident. But I ended up killing my mom.”

“You told me she died in a plane accident.”

“You were to young to understand at that age.”

She looked at the food in front of me then at my face.

“What?”

“Eat.”

“If I eat I throw up.”

“You’ll have to eat human food.”

I picked up a fork putting the food in my mouth and chewing slowly. Swallowing hard but throwing it up right afterwards.

“See what I said.”

You are making yourself throw up just like you are making yourself blackout. You have to learn to control you body.”

“I can’t do that.”

Kai walked in and was behind Debbie.

“I am giving you three weeks to get her perfect before I come back Kai Pattinson or else she will never see you again and you will never see her again.”

“That’s a little harsh.”

“Three weeks Kai.”

She got up walking out of the house. I heard the car pulling out of the driveway.

“I have something for you.”

He led me outside where a man was waiting.

“What is this for?”

“Bon appetite.” He smiled.

He was already on the other side of the glass door along with everyone else. I blacked out but my vision soon returned. The only thing left was a skeleton. I played with the white hand for a minute before getting up and walking to the screen door. It slid open and I walked in facing all the smiling faces. Everyone left leaving me and Kai alone. He walked me to the front room where I laid on the floor bored out of my mind. He tossed me a bone but it didn’t occupy me for long since it reminded me of everyone I had killed and tempted to kill. Clide walked through the door with a shopping bag in his left hand. I sat up and everyone was in the room. Kyoko and Sunee closest to me.

“I got you something Claire.” Clide talked to me like I was an animal.
He pulled out a brown teddy bear that was a pretty decent size and laid it in front of me. I gave it an odd look then gave the same look to Clide.

“It’s a teddy bear.”

“Bite it.”

I bit it sharply and it squeaked. I clapped biting it over and over again. My boredom was already fading as I rolled on my stomach stretching it out with my legs. Clide rubbed my stomach and I heard Kai growl lowly.

“Where did you get that?” He commanded.

“Petsmart.”

“She’s a werewolf not a dog.”

“I got it from the Pit bull terrier section.”

“What was the point of it?”

“Well I went down to the dog camp and they told me that her teeth are growing in so she has to gnaw on things. I thought a teddy bear would be better than our skin. Plus they said that she will easily overheat so I changed it a little to were each time she overheats the bear will go to below zero.”

“Did they tell you anything about how to make her eat human food.”

“It didn’t work this morning?”

“Nope she threw it up and I have three weeks to make her an angel or her mom is going to take her away.”

I whimpered at the thought of not being around him and I could feel everyone staring at me.

“They also told me that she needs to run daily.” Clide continued

“How do that help us?”

“It builds up strength, speed, and she’s at an early stage so she will be hyper and most likely tear up the house.”

“We will take her outside.” He said quickly.

Everyone watched me play with the bear Clide got me barely irritated by the noise it made. We were like that for hours and I literally watched the sun set because of the glass walls. I don’t remember when I fell asleep but I woke up curled in a ball I my what looked like playpen. Clide was on the couch watching football and I could smell the sweet yet revolting smell of pancakes.

“Are you hungry?” He asked.

“Yes.”

He was already in front of me with a plate of pancakes.

“Open up.”

He put the food in my mouth. I swallowed it and was surprised when it tasted like pancakes instead of something horrible. I didn’t throw it up but opened my mouth for more. Kai walked in with a surprised look on his face and walked out.

“I don’t think he likes me anymore.” I confessed.

“Why not?”

“Well I just think that it really means nothing.”

“It means something to you or you wouldn’t of mentioned it.”

“Is twenty one to early to have kids?” I was to eager to change the subject.

“Yes, but why would you need to know?”

“Well Paige had a kid when she was twenty one.”

“No she didn’t.”

“So she didn’t have a son?”

“She did but she wasn’t twenty one.”

“Why did he change her? She’s a beast all she does is make people’s life miserable.”

“She only makes your life miserable. I don’t even think she hates you either. She just needs an excuse for something she doesn’t want to tell anyone. Her and Kai are the secret keepers of the family, they tell us things but no one is for sure if they are true.Sometimes we send Logan into their room to try to get some clues on their life but they find out sooner or later.”
“Do you mean to tell me that I have been in Kai’s room so many times but I have never found one thing about him or Paige?”

“Basically.”

“Is that why everyone thinks I’m an idiot?”

“Yes.”

“Someone could of told me that.”

“We could of but it was just to funny.”

I grabbed my bear chewing on it in sharp, quick bites. He laughed and got out of the little circle. Sunee walked in getting in the circle with me and scratching behind my ear as if I was a dog.

“Have you seen Kyoko lately?” She asked.

“No haven’t seen her.”

“Well if you see Kyoko tell her I was looking for her.”

“I will.

“Do you want me to stay here for a minute? You must be lonely.”

“Sure.”

“I see you have taken a liking to Clide.”

“We are just friends.”

“He seems like good company for you to have.”

“He’s nice but a little arrogant.”
“He seems like the type.”

“Is it true that you and Kai are really related?”

“Yes, I’m his little sister.”

“By how many years?”

“By four years.”

“So you are seventeen?”

“Yes.”

“What is Thailand like?”

“It’s a lovely place. You can go to the markets and buy fruit to feed to the monkeys.”

“Monkeys?”

“Monkeys are all over the streets of Thailand. Some markets sell food for you to feed them.”

“Have you ever been to China? Kai told me that you all were half Chinese.”

“I’ve never been to china but my mother’s side of the family lived there even though they are American. They only came to visit once and that was when Kai ran away.”

“Did it bother you when he left?”
“It deeply upset me. When I was sixteen I ran away in search to find him but a monk found me and brought me back to my family.”

“What did they do?”