Wolfgang chapter 17 | Teen Ink

Wolfgang chapter 17

By CheshireCat PLATINUM, Paducah, Kentucky
CheshireCat PLATINUM, Paducah, Kentucky

We're all mad here

“They beat me with sticks. But when our livestock started disappearing along with people in the neighborhood I decided to leave again. Mother and father died most likely from the same thing that killed the animals. When I was running something grabbed me. It was just a small bite but the pain was horrible. After I was…different I kept running from people. Hiding in the temples. I was almost caught a couple of times but I was able to outrun them. The townspeople were putting up rewards to find me and that’s when I ran into Kyoko. She didn’t know what was going on with me but she was already different. She raised me taking me to live in Hawaii for a little bit. I told her about how I intended to find Kai.

“She insisted on helping so we set out to find Kai. On our quest we found many of my family members that were already different. My cousin Keena took us in for a little bit but we soon had to leave. The only thing I knew about Kai was that he had the same monkey bite on his hand as I did. For when we were feeding the monkeys one bit us both. I traveled all over America checking one hand after another. I didn’t know how old he was but I was sure he was only in college or high school. When I came to your school I thought I was sire to find him there since that was the only school left for us to check. I was afraid that he might of moved back to Thailand and I didn’t even know.

“I was so happy when I found out it was him. He asked me to come live with him and now here I am-sitting in a circle with his girlfriend talking about my long quest to find him.”

“Wow.” Was all I could manage to say.

“Keena is still alive but Kai doesn’t know so please don’t tell him. He always hated her.”

“I won’t say a word.”

“Thank you.”

Kai walked in and they shared a look before she got up and left. Kai walked over to me kissing my cheek and picking me up. He carried me to the backyard then dropped me on the soft wet grass. I started running at an unnatural speed then slowing to a normal one. I ran back to Kai who had moved an inch since I left.

“Why am I out here?” I asked.

“I need to teach you some things.”

“What do you know about werewolves?”

“Just because I’m a vampire that doesn’t mean I wasn’t prepared for this day to come. Your brother was three when he went through this. You happened to be the late one.”

“Oh thanks a lot for lowering my self-esteem.”

“Lets just get this over with.”

“What do I have to do.”

“Growl.”

I did my best growl which was actually a very poor one.

“It’s not that good.” I confessed.

“It’s horrible. Try making it deeper and bare your teeth.”

Doing as he said I was surprised when it came out better then expected. I got on the ground in a crouching position ready to attack.

“How good was that?”

“Pretty good. Unlike your brother you are a pretty quick learner.”

“My self-esteem is back.”

“Now pin me down and do that and my job is done.”

I did as he said surprised when I was ten times stronger than I used to be. That’s how the three weeks went. Clide telling Kai about things going on and Kai then teaching me everything. My mom didn’t seem surprised that Kai had actually succeeded in making me perfect. She insisted to take me home for a while so here I am sitting on my bed bored out of my mind. I closed my eyes drifting to sleep in the dark. When I woke there was something on my dresser. I walked over to it noticing the black glow it had around it. It was a little chest with a small white tag attached to it.

“Open me” I read out loud.

I looked around for a key somewhere finding one next to the striped chest. It had a giant heart on the end and looked like a decorative key that should be on a keychain. I put it in the chest opening it and letting out a swirl of dust. It hit me in the chest with a painful blow then chest was gone. I pinched my arm hoping this was just a dream. Nothing happened but one thing was for sure- I wasn’t telling anyone about this.

“Morning mom.” I said waving to her as I went down the steps.

“Morning darling. Are you hungry?”

“Sure what is for breakfast?”

“Cereal and bacon.”

I sat at the table eating slowly not looking up. I got up washing the dishes faster than I ate. I ran up the steps locking myself in my room. Reading a book to ease my stress of what was in that box. That made it worse as I wanted to know what had happened. That is how the next three days went. I isolated myself from everything as the fear of what was in that box ate me alive. It is midnight now and I miss everything that I had ignored. I got hot and a tingling feeling in my body. There were tight shocks as my muscles tightened.

Everything stopped and I looked around my eyesight suddenly better. I looked around then at my hands seeing paws instead. I walked to my mirror seeing a white wolf smaller than my brother but still large. I barred my teeth showing the large teeth that could easily break bones or rip someone in half. Right now I am probably the second most dangerous predator in the world. Turning some I spotted my tail. It wasn’t like Hunter’s scrawny one but instead full and bushy. I felt the same tingling and my muscles loosen then I was sitting on the ground as a teenage girl.

Then the panic got to me. The only thing I could thing of at the time to calm me down was Kai. I wasn’t going to tell anyone about this though except for the Pattinsons and my best friends. I jumped out my window so I could avoid my mother. Surprised when landing in a crouch without any broken bones. I ran through the town, the woods, all the way to the clearing where the large glass house lay. I ran in to the door everyone sitting at the large table.

I ran to Kai instantly jumping in his lap. I kissed him half lovingly and half in paranoia of what happened in my bedroom.

“Claire what’s going on.”

“I’m stressed out and coming here was the first thing I thought of.”

“You are supposed to be at your house.”

“Like I said I am stressed out.”

“Why?”

“There was a chest in my room and I opened it. Then tonight a turned into a werewolf.”

“Is that why I have the instant need to kill her when she walked though the door.” Cynthia remarked harshly.

Paige smiled .“I‘ve always felt that way and the fact that she’s a blonde just makes it so hard to resist.”

Logan turned to Paige. “ Obviously the temptation can’t be that bad considering she’s a strawberry blonde.”

You’ve got to love Logan.

Paige growled at Logan and I growled at her. Cynthia started growling at me then everything happened so fast I wasn’t sure if it was real. Cynthia was in front of me hissing while Paige was beside her growling. They were both on the ground, crouched and ready to attack. I was the wolf I saw in my bedroom mirror bearing my teeth and in the same defensive pose as they were.

Kai growled. “Girls.”

We all released ourselves and I changed back to human form. I was on my knees looking down, back to Kai. I got up weak and exhausted collapsing into his lap. I adjusted my position then picked up my limp arm to play with it for a while. Everyone was silent as he combed his fingers through my hair and messed with my shirt. He messed with the pockets of my pants and adjusted my position to where I was laying flat on my back on top of his legs. He drew designs on my stomach; obviously a plan to have me occupied enough that he didn’t have to say anything.

“Kai.”

“Yes.”

“Never mind.”

I just wanted to hear his voice to make sure he wasn’t mad at me. I growled at Cynthia just for the fun of it and Will had to grab her to keep her away from me. I smiled to myself and Kai scowled at me for doing so. I got up going to my bedroom and checking my texts and emails. Laying on the cool blankets I stared at the ceiling occupying myself by daydreaming about how being a wolf could really ruin Paige and Cynthia’s life. I could really enjoy this. Except for the dog part that will take some getting used to.

Turning out the lights I sat in the dark sending a text to my mom telling her that I was alright and that nothing was wrong. The door cracked open then shut quickly, something at the foot of my bed. A hand stroked my hair, face, and finally arm before getting up and leaving. I put away my cell phone closing my eyes and Thinking about drifting to sleep. It worked and soon enough the sun was out and I was awake. I skipped down the steps in a joyful mood ready to torture Paige and Cynthia.

I’m so devious.

Paige and Cynthia walked in the room but when they saw me we were all crouched down. But I didn’t transform, letting them have their fun now so I can tear them down later. We all jumped for each other biting, tearing, and scratching at skin. Kai grabbed me from the bunch while Will grabbed Cynthia and James grabbed Paige. They held us away from each other though we were all still fighting and growling venom dripping off of their teeth. They guys exchanged a brief look and took us to separate rooms. Kai took me to the room with the vintage car, setting me on the couch and sitting next to me.

“What’s going on?”

“They started it.”

“No fighting or I’m sending you to the dog camp.”

“Fine, no more fights.”

I walked out the room leaving him behind and going back to the kitchen and grabbing a box of cereal and milk setting it on the table. I didn’t want to waste time so I dumped all the milk in the cereal box, grabbed a mixing spoon, and started eating it. Cynthia walked passed hissing the word “Dog”. I growled the word “Cat” and she left the kitchen leaving me to eat my cereal alone and in peace. Getting up I threw away the box and went to take a nap on the couch. When I woke up Paige and Cynthia both walked in. We all growled at each other, leaping as we did before but having to depend on ourselves to stop since Kai and his brothers weren’t here. We got off each other, them leaving and me staying on the couch to lounge around.

I walked back to the kitchen and they both walked in after me. Paige left but Cynthia stayed. Staring into my eyes.

“Dog.” She scoffed.

I smiled. “Orphan.”

She froze.

“I’m not an orphan they cared about me.” She screamed.

She spoke in German than ran off into the dark, tears streaming down her white cheeks. Will, Paige, James, and Kai ran into the kitchen and I laid my hands on my hips and smiled to myself approvingly. Will looked at the open door, growled at me, and ran out the door after her. I walked up the steps but Kai was in front of me already.

“What did you do?”

“She started it.”

“What did you do Claire?”

“I called her an orphan.”

“Why?”

“She called me a dog!”

“But you don’t go and call her an orphan. You’re just like a child, Claire.”

“She called me a dog! No one cares how I feel about anything!”

I stormed out the door running into the woods and finding a special meadow. I sat on a large tree stump and found some paper and a pencil. Obviously someone used to come here before me. I picked up a piece of the paper and drew a picture of James standing looking out at something with Logan sitting on he knees at his feet. Hands folded in her lap and looking at the same thing James was.

I sat a rock on top of my picture so the night breeze wouldn’t blow it away and grabbed another sheet. I drew Clide standing with one arm wrapped around Maria’s waist who had her palms flat on his chest and looking away. I set it down with the other picture, grapping another sheet as before. I drew Dakota just standing staring at the same distant object as the rest of them and set it away just to grab another sheet. I drew Will standing and Cynthia wrapped in between his legs like a cat with one of Will’s hands on her back since she was on her hands and knees with her head against his leg.

Another sheet and I drew Kyoko and Sunee. Sunee was reaching out to something distant but Kyoko had her hand positioning her firmly to her side. Kyoko had her head turned to the opposite direction of Sunee but her fingers were outstretched wanting to grab something distant also. Just not making the action yet.

Grabbing another sheet I drew Kai with one hand around Paige’s waist holding her to him. She was looking the opposite way of him and had her hand on his shoulder. I put it away just as Kai walked into the clearing. I growled but he ignored me and stood in front of me crouching down so he was the same level as I was.

“What do you want?” I growled.

“Logan wanted me to tell you that she has invited you to her wedding.”

“What else do you want?”

“I do care about how you feel, Claire, but you can’t go around bringing up the bad part of everyone’s lives.”

“Being an orphan isn’t that bad.”

“Because her parents weren’t there she was captured and took into a research facility. They beat her with a whip when she didn’t understand what they wanted her to do. If she didn’t eat the way they wanted her to they would force a tube down her throat and force feed her. You telling her that she is an orphan just brings back all of those memories.”

“I’m sorry.”

“You shouldn’t be telling me that.”

“You know sometimes you act like a dad, then sometimes a boyfriend, but most of the times just a really good friend.”

He smiled and looked at the pictures I drew. He picked them up looking at all of them.

“What are these?”

“How I see everyone.”

He looked at the one of him and Paige.

“That’s how you see me?”

“Yes, before I came and ruined everyone’s lives.”

“You don’t see yourself very clearly.”

“I’m sure everyone’s lives were a lot better without me.”

“Actually if it wasn’t for you I would of never found my sister, Hunter would still be my annoying friend, Logan would still be that sad, depressed, little girl. You’ve made my life a lot easier.”

“I guess I have.”

“Lets go inside and you can talk to Cynthia.”

He lead me to the house where Cynthia was sitting in a chair with her face buried in her knees.

“Cynthia I’m sorry.”

“I forgive you.”

“Seriously?”

“Yes, I’ve learned to not be mad at someone for long.”

She left the room and I walked up the steps to my room so glad that she wasn’t about to kill me for that. I fell asleep waking to the sun and not feeling that good. I threw up on the floor and screamed when it was blood that came out instead of the chunky food bits it usually is. I got up looking at myself in the mirror. My skin seemed two shades lighter than usual and the color in my hair seemed to be faded some. I looked at my nails seeing them snow white I wanted to scream but I just slipped some pants and a long sleeve shirt over my tank top and shorts to cover it form Kai. I threw up again before brushing the blood of my teeth and limply walking down the steps. Everyone was at in the front room when I walked in. Kai raised an eyebrow at how I was dressed.

“Good morning.” My voice was frail.

“Are you alright?” He asked.

“Perfectly fine.”
I collapsed on the couch, energy drained out of me. Something wet was dripping on me. I held my hand above my stomach to see what is was but nothing fell down. I stopped breathing for a minute and gasped for breath quietly though I could tell that Kai knew something was wrong. I took off the pants and long sleeve shirt seeing that I was covered in blood. My color started fading and I collapsed on the couch unconscious. My eyes opened and I was in the dreaded white room of the ER. The room I had been in so many time previously. A chilled hand stroked my face and neck and I could feel the tubes that kept me breathing as the hand avoided them and stroked the back of my hand. I blinked some and turned my head to see Kai in a chair next to me with hot pink eyes.

“What’s wrong?”

“Apparently you are dying.”

“I’m seventeen I can’t die at seventeen.”

“You don’t even know what you are dying from.”

“What am I dying from?”

“The whole being a werewolf thing.”

“I thought it was hereditary. You can’t die from something that is hereditary.”
“Somehow it is killing you.”

“So how long am I going to be in the hospital?”

“At least two days.”

“Two days?”

“Calm down.”

The machines were already beeping faster as my heart rate accelerated.

“How can I calm down?”

“Just relax or you are going to give yourself a heart attack.”

“Why am I dying?”

“I don’t know but I’ll find out.” He reassured me but I could hear the true fear in his voice if I was going to make it or not.

“What if I don’t live?”

“Don’t think like that.”

“Well can’t you see if I live or not? What about your extra sense? Can’t you see my future and tell me what is happening?”

“The future isn’t set in stone.” Was there a secret meaning to that?

“So what you are saying is that there is no hope and I am irrevocably doomed?”

“That’s not what I’m saying at all!”

“That’s what it sounds like.”

“Claire I swear that you will not die. That nothing will ever hurt you as long as you are with me.”

“I don’t want to die.” I cried out; my voice only a whisper, straining to come out.

“You won’t die.”

“You don’t know that. What if I do? Then what will happen? Will I just sit in the dark ground and rot? Go to heaven and be happy? Haunt the Earth as a depressed and saddened spirit?”

He sighed, keeping something important from me. “If you die I will save you.”

“How?”