Will Things Get Better? | Teen Ink

Will Things Get Better?

November 4, 2010
By Palrice8 PLATINUM, Lynn, Massachusetts
Palrice8 PLATINUM, Lynn, Massachusetts
48 articles 4 photos 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Face the downs and be grateful for the ups." - David Archuleta


It's 1:45 AM on a Saturday night. You're about to go to bed, when suddenly your phone goes off. You quickly pick it up to see who's texting you at 2 in the morning. It reads:
"Hey
I need to talk.
Meet me at our spot.
David"

David. You should've known. When you guys made that promise that you'll always be there for each other, anytime, anywhere, you didn't think he'd take it so seriously. But you do as the text says and you quietly sneak out of the house and go to the little hidden bench near the pond in the park, also known as you and David's spot.
Once you arrive, you see David sitting on the bench, waiting for you. You slowly walk up behind the bench.

"Hi." you say softly.

David turns at the sound of your voice.

"Hey." he says sadly, barely smiling.

You can tell just by the sound of his voice that something's wrong.

You walk around the bench and sit down next to him. You look him in the eyes. They're red and puffy, like he's been crying. You're face drops.

"What's wrong?" you ask worriedly.

Suddenly, he wraps his arms around you in a tight hug. You're a bit caught off guard, but you quickly put your arms around him in return. Seconds later, you release and you see his eyes starting to fill up.

"Are you ok?" you ask.

He shrugs his shoulders and looks down.

"David, it's 2 AM. You texted me and told me to come here so you could talk. Well, I'm waiting." you say sweetly.

He sighs. "It's my dad." he says, looking down.

"What'd he do?" you ask warily.

"H-He cheated on my mom." he says sadly.

You were speechless. Sure, David's parents had their issues, but you never thought Jeff would do something like that.

"Umm... Wow. I, I'm sorry." you say. What else is there to say? Well, you could say his dad is a flippin' idiot! But that'd just make David feel worse, and that's the last thing you want.

"I don't know what to do now. I mean, my mom's pretty upset. And my brother and sisters can't believe it. But I don't know what to think." he says.

"Well, are you mad at your dad?" you ask.

"Yeah!" he answers.

"Ok, well, how else do you feel?"

"I'm kinda happy." he says.

"Happy?" You were confused. He didn't look happy...

"Well, not happy. I guess, relieved. Now my mom's going to leave him, and he won't be around anymore. That's a good thing." he confided.

"It is." you reassure him. You know David and his dad never exactly got along. This would be best for everyone.

"I feel bad for my mom though. I just can't believe he'd do that to her." he says.

"I know..." you say as he looks out into the pond. You look into his eyes again. You can tell he's still upset.

"What else is on your mind?" you ask.

"I don't know. I'm just confused. And I don't want to go back home. My mom and dad have been fighting all night." he barely got the last part out, unable to hold back his tears.

"I know it's hard. It's going to be hard. But things will get better, ok? Come here." you say as you embrace him in a hug.

He leans in and hugs you tight. You feel his tear drops wetting your shoulder, and breaking your heart.

The author's comments:
Whether it's based off of a true story is unknown. I mean no offense to The Archuletas.