I Want a Husband | Teen Ink

I Want a Husband

By Sienna BRONZE, Somewhere, New Jersey
Sienna BRONZE, Somewhere, New Jersey

“Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.” -- Oscar Wilde

I am what most people would refer to as a husband. And, not surprisingly, I am also a father.

A few weeks ago, one of my female friends divorced her husband of over 15 years. She had two children who, naturally, remain with their father. She is now looking for a new, younger, more attractive husband. One night as I was sitting at home massaging my wife’s back, it suddenly hit me that I would also like a husband. And why, exactly, do I want a husband?

I would like someone who can work to meet all the financial needs of me and my children. He must have a stable, well-paying career because it is my duty to stay home and raise the children, even though they spend most of their time at school anyway. While I may have to bake cookies for the school fundraiser or make brownies for the soccer team, it is my husband’s responsibility to drive us to these events and cheer for the children because I couldn’t possibly risk losing my voice in such a harsh manner. I want a husband who will teach the children how to play sports, fix a car, or work any new technology in the house. I want a husband who can help the children with their homework because anything above arithmetic and beyond basic US history is too advanced for me. I want a husband who will get up in the middle of the night to ease the baby back to sleep while I get my beauty rest.

I want a husband who is romantic. A husband who will never forget an anniversary and often surprise me with a beautiful bouquet of flowers sent to the house. I want a husband who won’t mind me gossiping on the phone or the fact that I sometimes forget to tell him his boss called because I was too busy trying to figure out who’s sleeping with whom around the corner. I want a husband who is perfect physical physique. He’ll have to go to the gym every day to keep his shape, but he won’t mind that he can’t hold me to the same standard because I have more important things to do at home. I want a husband who will love me no matter what I look like, even when I don’t put on makeup or wear the same clothes for a week.
I want a husband who understands the fact that I am always right. I want a husband who will love to go shopping with me and when I ask him if my big looks big in this outfit, he will promptly say “no.” I want a husband who adores all the lovely sweaters and ties I pick out for him and won’t complain about the stylish man-purses I want him to wear. I want a husband who can entertain my mother when she comes to visit because I simply cannot stand her antics and my physiatrist says I should avoid stressful situations.
I want a husband who will give up going out with his guy friends so that we can go watch sad movies together. I want a husband who will cook for and serve the guests at my book club meetings. He will do so in such a delightful manner that my friends can’t help but comment on what a wonderful husband I have.

I want a husband who understands that my soaps have priorities over his games because it is absolutely essential that I know if Eric is cheating on Amy or if Roger will ever come out of that coma of his. Besides, he can watch the game highlights on the news later.

I want a husband who accepts that I couldn’t possibly have sex with him as often as he would like me to. He will understand that I am in charge of what goes on or doesn’t go on in the bedroom. He will also understand when I have an on-going affair with the pool-boy because when my husband gets home so late, I am too tired from other various things to be intimate with him.

If, for any reason, I find someone who can be a better husband than the one I already possess, I reserve the right to replace mine immediately. And it goes without saying that the kids must remain with my husband because I cannot be dragged down by those bothersome children if I have a new life to lead.

Why, of course I want a husband!

This piece is based off Judy Brady's "I Want a Wife." It's more of a stylistic imitation than anything, so if you haven't already read the essay, it probably won't make much sense. You can read it here: http://tinyurl.com/iwantawife

thetruth said...
If you had acutally Brady's piece you would know the deep satire and wry tone concealed within it. It's based on a plethora of sterotypes, and I regret to inform you that your essay is not like this at all. Yet, your own twist is different as well...

Janet said...
"I Want A Husband"...apparently Sienna doesn't know that what is written is all the things most wives do, and they go out and work all day...what rubbish to think that a man would work all day and come home and massage her back...this is fiction

Dreamr said...
I wouldn't mind a hubby like tht :) really cool piece. Keep it up!

PhoenixCrossing GOLD, Tinley Park, Illinois
This is really impressive. Even though I am a girl, I find many of the things stated in here true about a wife and her opinions about her relationship with her husband. I love the piece!

MidnightBreaker SILVER, Lubbock, Texas

"Do not dwell on your past, It will not help your future."
"It is better to have loved and lost, than to live with a psycho the rest of your life."
"Its good to dance in the rain when its all the company you have."

Very interesting piece of literary brilliance. I am very intrigued by you piece of writing

Imitation is the highest form of flattery, Judy Brady would love it!!!!!!!!!

marthe said...
very very interesting piece of writing.  I am intrigue.

Diamond said...
Diamond, Jersey City, New Jersey

That what's up!!!

SO DO I!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa P said...
Please let me know where I can find one? In desperate need of a ggod man!!! LMAO

Proudmom said...
I LOVE IT!!!!!

This article is exceptional. That is exactly what I want in husband