From a Different Point of Veiw | Teen Ink

From a Different Point of Veiw

By Tana_Bear94 BRONZE, Sierra Vista, Arizona
Tana_Bear94 BRONZE, Sierra Vista, Arizona

Having a smoking section in a restraunt is like having a peeing section in a pool.

The very first time I saw Andy, I thought I had found the one for me. His face was radiant with excitement as he searched the aisles of Wal-Mart. It was his first year of kindergarten and I could see his fascinated expression as he grabbed items to his liking. I watched him from a distance. I noted the items he grabbed and the ones he placed back on the shelves. Finally, he ran in my direction. I expected him to pass me by. But when he stopped directly in front of me, I froze with anticipation. He studied the items above and below me, and then straight at me. Then with great pride he grabbed me and placed me in the cart.

That was the most glorious day of my life! I finally was no longer hanging on a rack! I had an owner who would use me to become a smart young boy. I remember hearing stories of the others; how they helped in the creation of spaceships and automobiles. Some were used to make game plans for sports teams. Others were used by magnificent people- Presidents, pilots, architects, and accountants. Oh how I dreamt of being like the others.

I remember that first day of kindergarten. Andy carried me to school in his navy blue backpack. Enthusiastic to learn, he used me every chance he had. I was his favorite. He never dared to misplace me. He never dared to misuse me. When a kid asked to borrow me, he would politely lend another. Andy was my best friend. I could never ask for another.

Unfortunately, circumstances change. Now I lay in a cluttered drawer. I share a home with the other rejects. I don’t bother making friends with them. My hopes and dreams of usage have long since disappeared. All I do is wait. Wait for an answer. Wait for a resolution. I miss those glory days with Andy. I miss the way he would use me – a tingling sensation would begin at my point; working its way up to my eraser which always tickled when it was rubbed. Now my point is dull, and my eraser is gone. I can see why Andy does not use me anymore. I am no more useful than a decaying piece of wood.

Wait!! Something is happening! A flood of bright light shines down upon me as the drawer is slowly pulled open. Could it be? Could it really be?! Yes it is! My precious Andy has returned. He reaches into the drawer and wraps his tiny fingers around me. He raises me into the air so that I am parallel to his precious face smiling with glee. He closes the drawer and places me into his backpack. At that moment I realize the amazing truth: he is going to use me today. Yes, my Andy still does love me.

In my creative writing class I was assigned to write a flash fiction about the perspective of an inaminate object. I wrote about a pencil who reunites with it's owner, a 5 yr old boy, after months of not being used. I was suprised to discover that I enjoyed writing this peice and I hope you will enjoy reading it just as much!

StellaDPloom SILVER, Hudson, New Hampshire

"The road to hell is paved with adverbs."
~Stephen King

This is amazing. Great work!

VagueDust BRONZE, Colorado Springs, Colorado

life. camera. instant viral video hit.

I really like this.