But I Want to Be the Hero | Teen Ink

But I Want to Be the Hero

By Nationofimagination BRONZE, Denton, Texas
Nationofimagination BRONZE, Denton, Texas

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live"-Albus Dumbledore

“Why do I always have to be the frost giant? You’re taller than I am, you be it this time!”
The young, scrawny prince stamped his foot in frustration as his brother brandished his wooden sword at him. “Because, brother,” Thor said matter-of-factly, “someday, I will be king of Asgard, and the king’s job is to protect the kingdom from frost giants. Remember Father’s story, Loki?” Thor playfully jabbed at Loki’s ribs with his weapon, laughing gleefully at his brother’s vain attempts to swat it away. Loki caught his guffawing brother off guard when he grasped the end of the sword and gave it a good tug, intended to free the toy from Thor’s hand. He quickly realized this was a mistake when he caused his brother to lose his balance, sending the thickly-built prince careening into his dark-haired, twig of a brother.
“Oomph!” both brothers grunted as they made impact with the dirt floor. Loki struggled under the weight of his brother, trying to push him off. The younger prince complied, rolling off of Loki’s body, but only to jump to his feet and place his left foot on his brother’s chest.
“Ha hah!” Thor cried victoriously as if he had defeated a mighty foe, “I have defeated the frost giants once again!” he brought his fists to his hips and puffed out his chest as he peered down at his defeated frost giant, “You see, Loki? I am just like Father! That is why I will be king!”
“Well I could be just like Father, too, if you would just let me kill the frost giants for once!” Loki shouted, shoving Thor’s boot off of him and awkwardly shuffling to his feet. Thor crossed his arms over his chest and smirked at Loki, obviously still acting as if his brother were an enemy who no longer posed any threat to him. “Oh, don’t be stupid, Loki. I’m more like Father than you’ll ever be.” He picked up his wooden sword from the ground and shot his brother a challenging smile. “Now come on, race me to the gates!” With that, he took off toward the tall golden palace gates. Loki sprinted across the courtyard, trying his hardest to catch up to his brother, and feeling that familiar sensation of dwindling hope when he saw Thor’s fingers reach out to touch the gate…

This is a very brief little short story of a memory from Thor & Loki's childhood that I was inspired to write. The relationship between Thor & Loki is one of my favorite sibling relationships out of all that I've ever seen, because of the ignorant arrogance of Thor as a kid along with Loki's hope and boundless inner dreamer, and the fact that, basically, Thor's seemingly harmless taunting throughout their boyhood was constantly forming a sort of hatred and desire for revenge and dominance/victory in Loki. The most intriguing part is the fact that Thor never gives up on his brother, that even after all the devastation Loki causes, Thor refuses to stop seeing Loki as his best friend.

Oh, don't I know it!! Thank you!

Kinners GOLD said...
Kinners GOLD, Haven City, California

"I'm a TEMP from CHISWICK!!"

-Donna

Yeah, man. Never stop writing fanfic. In my opinion, it's a great way to start your writing career. There are characters and untold plots to be found in all sorts of fandoms!

I am so happy to receive positive feedback from this! :3 it's my first fanfic so I'm so happy someone likes it. Thank you

Kinners GOLD said...
Kinners GOLD, Haven City, California

"I'm a TEMP from CHISWICK!!"

-Donna

D'aww, Loki...don't worry, I'll always love you more than that buffoon you call your brother. <3 Beautiful fanfic. I'm obsessing over Loki all over again. ;-;