Snape's Moment | Teen Ink

Snape's Moment

By Katsa13 GOLD, Axtell, Texas
Katsa13 GOLD, Axtell, Texas

Don't make someone a priority if all you are to them is an option - Josh Shipp

Snape opened his eyes, struggling for a moment to remember where he was. With a flash of anger, he recalled that Potter had knocked him out with a Disarming spell. He looked around the empty room inside the Shrieking Shack and realized that Potter was helping Sirius Black escape. He scrambled to his feet, through the shack, and out the secret tunnel, barely noticing anything except for his consuming hatred for not only Harry Potter, but also for Sirius Black and that untrustworthy werewolf, Remus Lupin. If only Professor Dumbledore had believed him about Lupin.....

Snape reached the end of the tunnel and immediately spotted Harry, Hermione, and Ron. They were huddled together near the base of the Whomping Willow. Snape didn't notice the pained howls erupting from off to the side. He charged the trio and grabbed Harry by the front of his robes. He started to threaten Harry, but for a split second, Snape looked into Harry's eyes. The eyes that were so familiar. They were filled with fear. Snape's head was suddenly filled with images of Lily Potter, or as he liked to remember her, Lily Evans. His memories sped through his mind, progressing from the day they first met to the day he found her limp body on the floor.

On the floor in her son's bedroom. The son she died protecting.

A snarl came from behind Snape, and he wrenched his eyes from the boy's to face it. The facts came rushing to him. Lupin was a werewolf. Tonight was the full moon. He hadn't taken the potion that would render him harmless. And now, they were all in danger. Lily's son was in danger.

Suddenly, Snape thrust the three kids behind him, flinging his arms up protectively. He had no wand, but as of that moment, he didn't care. He would die to protect the boy who had Lily's eyes, the boy who lived as a constant, painful reminder of Snape's failure. This time, he would make a difference.

This time, he would do what was right.

I love Harry Potter, and Snape has always been one of my favorites. So I thought I'd highlight on a moment of goodness hardly anyone really payed attention to.