Shadowhunting Love | Teen Ink

Shadowhunting Love

By Girlonfire12 SILVER, Keyport, New Jersey
Girlonfire12 SILVER, Keyport, New Jersey

"Hunger Games Are Amazing"

"Master there is a young lady here to see you" stated Sebastian
"Send her in" answered Ceil thinking it was his betrothed Elizabeth

Then I walked in and Ceil was caught with a look of surprise.
“Who are you?" he asked perplexed
"Lady Caitlin, Lord Phantomhive" I answered calmly

I was most likely the only person to ever see him surprised. The Lady in Black is what they call me and I do my job well. What is my job you ask? You'll see when the rest find out.
"Why are you here?" asked the still confused Ceil
I just give him a blank stare. As if he doesn't know, well I suspect even his know it all butler doesn't even know. Ah well it's more fun when they don't know who you are, or why you came.
"Answer me Lady Caitlin" demanded Ceil
"Ok your answer is I like you Lord Phantomhive, you interest me, and I’ve heard stories of you and your butler and wanted to find out the truth."
Not my true intention, but it should keep him busy for a while. Then his blasted butler walks in and asks
"Is there anything the matter sir"
"No, but could you get Lady Caitlin a room" he gulps visibly
"Certainly sir, right away" Sebastian replied unflustered, but in his eyes I see suspicion spark
"Your estate is breathtaking Lord Phantomhive" I gush
Uh I hate having to be all mushy to get what I want. All this trouble for a simple demon, my superiors are going to hear about this for the rest of eternity.
"You like it" ask Ceil nervously
"I love it, can you give me a tour?" I asked with a fake smile slapped on my face
"Certainly, I'll have one of my....."
"No I'd like you to give me the tour, so you can answer some of my questions." I interrupt

He still looks nervous as I offer him my hand. He takes it in his shaking and yet firm. This is going to be easier than expected.
"So your parents were murdered in a fire?" I asked
"How did you know that?" asked Ceil
“I know a lot about you, as I told you earlier I have great interest in you" I answered coyly
"Why are you so.......?”
"Interested in you, well you have a twisted life like mine" I finished
He just stood there looking shocked, yet in his grasp was still my dainty hand.
"I'm betrothed to another, yet why do I feel this way" asked Ceil concerned
"Just because your betrothed to another doesn't mean you can't fall in love" answered Sebastian
"I could see in her eyes, she had a life in hell like me" said Ceil softly

You have no idea I thought while eavesdropping on their little heart to heart. I grew up in the far future in the year 2090. Surrounded by chaos, at age five I witnessed my entire family’s murder. Brought up by the Everdeens. I had no knowledge of my past, but a lullaby. After fighting in 2 Hunger Games, and for the rebellion I became a scientist. Soon thereafter, my beloved and my adopted family were killed in a vicious attack. I alone survived, still heartbroken I wanted it all to disappear. So I volunteered to test a time machine. It worked and now I'm here stranded because of the time machines crash landing. In the 1888 it is violent and turbulent past, now I'm doing my job.

Ceil is a nice young man, but nothing like my Peeta. Yet I feel strangely compelled to be with him. My mission, may not be the only reason it helps pass the time though. In my life I've never met anyone like Ceil before. He is one of the most secretive men I've met, others open up to me right away. I guess charms don't work on men like Ceil. Ah well business is the reason I'm here, not pleasure.

In the crisp morning I their Demon hound howl in the backyard. What an annoyance that I'll have to be here longer than I thought. Ceil will now want me around, either that or he'll reject my presence. As I approach the closet and pick out a crisp black gown, there is a light knock at the door.
"Come in" I say unafraid
"Sorry to disturb you Lady Caitlin, but the Master requests your presence" calls Sebastian

I nod and he takes his leave. Such a handsome man, too handsome to be human. Behind that mask of humanity stands a Demon who made a deal. A deal I intend to break apart at the seams. As I leave my room, Sebastian is waiting for me in the hallway. I should have guessed it, Ceil sent him to fetch me and he intends to do his job thoroughly. What a loyal, yet stupid gesture. As we glide down the elegant halls of the Phatomhive manor, I start to think maybe I could change my fate, maybe.........
"We've arrived Lady Caitlin" spoke Sebastian snapping me out of my trance
"Thank you Sebastian" I reply
I walk inside excited, why am I excited? I never get excited anymore, not after the tragedy that is my life. As I walk in Ceil is waiting for me at his desk.
"Good morning Lord Phantomhive" I say
"Please call me Ceil, and a good morning it is Lady Caitlin" he answers with a genuine smile
I blush and smile, wait a minute I never flirt. NEVER do I flirt, not after my beloved Peeta.
"Call me Cait, Ceil" I answer
"Cait what a peculiar nickname?" answered Ceil
"It's what my friends and family used to call me Ceil" I stated politely
"Used to call you........"
"Why did they used to call me this, because their all dead" I finish

I decided, I don't know why I did but I told him my tragedy I call a life. When I was finished a look of horror appeared on his face. Of course I didn't tell him I was from the future that is a secret meant to be kept. What he said after the shocked look disappeared, shocked me
"You poor girl, your life is almost as bad as mine is, can I do anything to help you?"
"No I don't need help, what I did to cope was harden my heart so I couldn't get hurt again by caring about anything, but since I've met you it's proving to be harder than I thought" I stated calmly

I couldn't believe my eyes, he blushed. After this I ran from the room to the garden. Ceil called out for me, but I ignored his calls. How could my feelings get in the way of another mission? Then I remember my final vision from Peeta, it had been me and Ceil. Was it God's way of telling me to move on? I don't know, but I don't intend to find out.
He finds me crying in the garden, I turn away from him. Then he steps closer, so I use fire to send him back.
"What are you Cait?" he asks unshaken
Unlike Peeta's first reaction which was extreme horror. I ponder if I should reveal my power to him. Then I answer
"Go see if your butler knows if he doesn't I shall tell you, but no one else must know"
He nods and runs to find Sebastian. When he returns I'm surprised, he looks at me question still unanswered by his know it all butler.
"I'm what you call the Avatar, I can control all four elements earth, fire, air and water. I also have connection with the spirit world, that's all I can tell you for now"
"Show me please Cait, I'm not afraid" was his only reply
So I reignite my hands, he is mesmerized by the flames. Then I call water and it come to me and surrounds my hands, after the same with air and earth he just stares.
"So now you’re afraid of me Ceil?" I ask
"No, I your amazing" he answered

That's when I fainted. I awoke to his maid dabbing my forehead with a wet cloth. Ceil rose from the chair in the corner and smiled. I took it as thank goodness you’re ok. As he walks over I get jittery, why I have no idea, why I got jittery. His kisses my forehead and tells me to
"Rest Cait, I'll send for you in the morning"
"The Master has taken to you very quickly" said his maid after he had disappeared through the door.
"I think I feel the same, but he is betrothed and I can't interfere" I answered the kind maid
"Very true, Goodnight young mistress" answered the maid
All night I pondered my feelings for Ceil. If he had the same for me, this was bad once Shadowhunters fall in love it's usually for life. So I'm doomed, to never have happiness. As the sun arises I dress, but differently from my usual black. As I walk into the drawing room Ceil looks surprised, I was wearing a royal blue gown of my own design. His reaction was
"What lovely gown Cait."
"I made it myself Ceil, do you really like it?" I gushed
"Yes it brings out your lovely blue eyes" he replies
"Why thank you Ceil, but you really shouldn't be doing this" I state
"Doing what?" he asks
"Flirting with me when you’re betrothed to another" I answer plainly

Now I've done it I think to myself. I trust him with my secret and then tell him my life, now he's going to hate me. So I decided either to flee Phantomhive Manor or confess my feelings to the young lord. What a coward I am making choices, ruining others’ lives for my own gain. I'm despicable, how can anyone or anything love a creature like me.
"Elizabeth may be my betrothed, but that doesn't mean I love her" was his long thought out reply
"Well even if you do love me, we can never truly be together, I am too different from you." I replied
"How are we that different if I may ask you?" he retorted
"You’re a mere human, whereas I'm much more" I muttered
"What do you mean Cait, you’re not .........."
"No I'm only half human and the other half I cannot share, with anyone until I wed, or I'm at deaths door" I finished and explained
He looks at me yet again shocked, this time beyond belief. I walk over and whisper in his ear
“I was not sent to hurt you, I am a wanderer, and my tragic life never compels anyone to stay in my company for too long"
"I'll leave you now Lord Phantomhive and I shall never return, Goodbye my love" I whispered as I walked out leaving him in his shock.
I run to my room in tears and despair. I can never find happiness, it always seems to slip through my fingers. As I pack my things there is a knock at my door, I ignore it packing faster. The knocking keeps getting louder and harder to ignore. I finish packing and jump out the second story window, just like Simon's father Jace does. I've lost so many loves, my heart cannot take much more. My list of heartbreak goes on forever Peeta, Simon and now to add Ceil. He bursts into my room as I jump. Then watches me plummet to what he thinks is my death, as a Shadowhunter I've jumped from much higher places than this. It was more like jumping 2 inches rather than 6 feet. Sebastian looks down in awe as well as Ceil. He must think I'm one of his kind, then I remembered my mission to server their bond. Well that wasn't working out very well.
"Caaaaaaiiiiiiiittttttttttttt" screamed Ceil as I rushed toward the ground

I landed with a thud, on my feet unharmed. Then just as Ceil was about to give Sebastian a command, I stopped no I couldn't leave another behind. I jumped up to the sill of the window and said
"I couldn't leave you Ceil, I love you. I'll explain everything tomorrow now you must go"
I get a shocked nod in reply. Sebastian stays behind and just stares, Ceil tugs at his sleeve and they stride out the door together. I'm now exhausted, emotions are such a tiresome and trivial thing. Love can make or break us all at one point or another. My feelings for Ceil are just a minor setback, yet now I don't want to fulfill my mission. It is a giant risk trying to sever the bond between a human and a demon, it could kill on or both of them. Trust me I know that's how my Simon died, I watched him go through unspeakable agony and I wasn't able to do anything except sit by and watch.

I don't want Ceil to suffer the same way. In distress I never looked for comfort, I always looked for something I could take my feelings out on. Today that would be, the brick wall in my room, as I repeatedly hit the wall, a knock comes at the door.
“Who’s there?” I call
“Sebastian, Milady” called Ceil’s loyal demon butler
“Enter and state your business” I call
He strides into the room, in his usual black tailcoat and a smirk on his face.
“May I ask how a noble lady like yourself is able to jump such great distances?”
“You can certainly ask you just may not get an answer. I know you’re a Demon, by the way you may want to do a better job of hiding it” I retort and smirk right back at him
He stands there looking flustered and then smiles, bows and takes his leave. My cover was now blown for sure. Ah well I guess I’m going to have to do this the hard way.

I wrote it for all the Black Butler Fans out there.