The Very Hungry Caterpillar Origin | Teen Ink

The Very Hungry Caterpillar Origin

By Hbkooy PLATINUM, Champaign, Illinois
Hbkooy PLATINUM, Champaign, Illinois

It was like a dream. First I was relaxing on my favorite leaf, and then out of now where a giant hand grabbed me. I awoke in a strange lab, and I could hardly see over all of the bright white lights shining on me. A scientist cut open my stomach while I was awake, and he didn’t seem to notice or care about my agonized screams. I blacked out after a while, and when I finally came to, I was back in my forest on my leaf. The scent of my leaf entered my nose, and I sighed dreamily. My mouth watered, and I leaned in closer, closer. My face was completely crushed against the leaf, and when I couldn’t hold myself back anymore, I tore into it. Within minutes I had demolished my entire leaf.

“More!” I said hungrily. I inched as fast as I could down the tree and on the ground. I cheered when I saw a family picnicking nearby. I scrambled over to the care free family and snuck into their picnic basket. Inside was a huge assortment of delicious fruit. I dived in, and ate faster than I had ever eaten before. I ate one delicious red apple, two sweet pears, three juicy blueberries, four strawberries, and then I stopped to take a breath. Why was I eating so much? I couldn’t stop for any longer, and I returned to my food rampage. I ate five oranges, and then I munched through all of the family’s desserts. Suddenly, I was bathed in sunlight, and I looked up to see the father staring angrily at me. He noticed everything I had eaten, and then his face softened; he laughed.

“Honey,” he said to the mother. “I got an idea for a great story! How about ‘The Very Hungry Caterpillar?’” he said in amusement. The mother laughed, and the man picked me up.

“You, my hungry friend,” he said as he leaned in close enough for me to smell his rancid breath. “Are going to make me one rich man!”

Obviously based of the children's story "The Very Hungry Caterpillar." Just a quick story I did while I was bored.

BabyPorcupine BRONZE, Dallas, Georgia

"Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!" -Doctor Seuss

Hmm. You know, you never think of the the caterpillar's point of view... interesting read...