The First of the Last | Teen Ink

The First of the Last

By Josh Beale BRONZE, Apex, North Carolina
Josh Beale BRONZE, Apex, North Carolina

Toby
I come home feeling well, then I come face-to-face with my father- who is more strict that a mother bear.
“I heard you had practice today”, He says, and I know I am caught.
“Yeah, it was called during lunch”, I say, keeping my lie together was nothing but spit and grit.
“Jack, it’s one thing to lie, and another to do so badly”, He says, “So where were you?” He continues. He always calls me Jack when I lie to him, and Toby when I do something minor- and not at all otherwise.
“I was at Brandon’s place”, I say, I was relieved by being caught- so I didn’t have to carry the guilt around.
“Go to your room, no dinner, no complaints”, He says, and I do as he says.

Sam
Hours after Toby got sent to his room, I was sitting on my bed trying to memorize conjugations while my laptop broadcasts my friend’s voices- who were currently arguing over how to pronounce gif.
I hear a sudden crash and the sound of hundreds of glass shards hitting the ground.
I rush out of my room to find my Mother, Father, Cousin- Anna, and Brother- Jordan- had done the same.
My Father, after a brief head count, rushed to Toby’s room.

Toby
Once I had stared hole into my wall- my Dad would kill me if I did anything different- I am rewarded with my window breaking.
Then a man jumped through the now pane less window, so I grab my protective bat. Although, I was tackled before I could stand.

Sam
We enter Toby’s room to find a man on top of him, with the only thing separating them being Toby’s bat.
Once Toby heard us enter, he tosses the man off, allowing our Father to push him to the wall. Once Toby was standing, he joins Father.

Toby
Holding the man was difficult, even if my dad was holding him as well.
This man is a wild animal infested with anger, and we just backed him into a corner.
“Call the police”, My dad says. And after many moments in which my mother digs through her sentimental stockpile- also known as her purse- she brings out her phone.
  After attempting to call the police, she puts her phone down, “No signal”, she says.

Sam
“What’re we going to do?”, I ask. Silence breaks though even the man, who is screaming bloody murder.
My father overcomes his momentary solitude, “We have to bring him to the police, we can’t keep him here”, He says.
My father continues with, “Get a zip tie.” After which he restricts the man’s hands, then puts him into his truck.

Toby
The man thrashes beside me, although , my dad stayed calm in the front seat.
He stayed this way until the crash.
The crash sends me forward into the passenger’s seat’s head rest. And once I wake up, I feel the screaming headache.
I find my father gone and the man dead. I climb out of the truck, and find a path in the cornfields on the side of the road.
I follow the path until I hear a man dragging my father through the field.
After following him silently into a clearing, I find that he has two companions. A man and a woman, the man is in his forties, the woman in her late thirties- and carrying a gun.
“Who’s this?” The woman asks.
“Found him in a wreck, there is also a boy”, The dragger says.
“He’s going to be pretty useless, but this guy is probably the kid’s dad, he wouldn’t join unless his dad was too. Go back and shoot the boy, I’ll do the same to the old man”, the woman says.
The dragger runs off, the woman looks to my father. I rush out, grab the gun, and back up in an instant.
“Stay where you are”, I say, aiming at the man.
“Chill out kid, no one has to get hurt”, the woman says. Then the dragger comes back.
“The boy is gone”, He says, and then he sees me and pulls his own gun.
“Travis stop, we can avoid this”, the woman says.
“You were going to kill us”, I say.
“There’s a lot going on. The city was overthrown, the…. Mad men are running in the open, and they’re spreading”, She says. Then my dad wakes up, and Travis turns his gun on him.
“No!” I yell, pulling the trigger. Then the other man jumps on me. I let him punch me, as there was no point in resisting. Then he falls to the ground, the sound of the bullet that passed through his skull told me the fate of this world. That even at the end of our lives, we would be attempting revenge.

This story is my own interpretation of how the beginning of the zombie apocalypse would affect a family, as well as their dealings with others.