Vendetta | Teen Ink

Vendetta

May 20, 2016
By IvanRanirez BRONZE, Austin , Texas
IvanRanirez BRONZE, Austin , Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Doing something is better than doing nothing.


It started with a meeting, formal friends Genesis and Shawn now fighting each other one seeking revenge and one trying to save his city. Genesis, now thirty years old, with the scar on his face left by Shawn on their previous encounter. Both Shawn and Genesis were given powers to protect their city from the evil that may come, but that didn’t help Shawn. Corruption, anger, drove Shawn insane, he couldn’t deal with the fact his mother died due to his powers. The horrific event changed Shawn and his ways. With his powers now he took matters into his own hands. Getting control is what he wanted no matter what cost, but there was also other outcomes. With his powers, everyone was scared, knowing there’s a new tirant in their own city, this lead causing great and irreparable harm and massive damage. There was only one person that could stop him ….. His former friend.  
In the events that Genesis tried to talk to his friend at the time didn’t work, Shawn wouldn’t listen to him or anyone.
“This isn’t right Shawn, this is murder!”
“You out of anyone don’t have the right to talk about murder …… assassin!”
Yelling wasn’t going to make the heated argument any better , slowly is started getting out of hand.
“Don’t you understand Genesis …. This is the only way these people will understand … fear is the key!”
“Fear isn’t going to change anything, the innocent is also suffering Shawn! What about them?”
It was only a matter of time before something bad really happened, and with Genesis’s sentence was his last.
“Megan wouldn’t want this Shawn”
As soon as Genesis finished his sentence Shawn picked him up and slamed him against the wall nearest to him. At this point Shawn only had one thing to do …. To break Genesis.
“Don’t you ever mentioned her name!, You don’t understand! Nobody does …. Soon enough this city will kneel before me … and soon …. Everywhere else ….”
As Genesis tries to talk he’s to hurt to even move.
“I’ll leave you here to live, but listen closely Genesis”
Shawn then leans closer to Genesis’s ear.
“Get is my way and i’ll reunite you with your parents”
With that said all Genesis could do is lay there on the floor and spit out his own blood.
When Genesis gained his strength to walk again all he said to himself for over ten minutes was
“I have to stop him.”
On his way the only place Shawn wouldn’t dare gp static could be heard across the entire city … it was Shawn using the old mic that could be heard everywhere … he continued saying
“Genesis I know … you can .. hear me”
Interrupted by the static this machine was old.
“Don’t even bother … trying to save … these pathetic people … it won’t change anything … if you want to … confront me …. You can find me at …. The …. Palace”.
The palace was a place Shawn went to a lot when he was a kid since is was abandoned he could go anytime. Soon after he started turning it his own palace, and since then it’s been his home.
“You’re nothing …. Without your … powers …. Dark Archer”.
“Everything they build will fall! … and from the ashes of their world …. I’ll build a better one!”
After what Shawn said Genesis ran even faster to … the graveyard. Five years ago Genesis took the mantle Dark Archer as a vigilante. With only the weapon choice of a unique bow and arrow Genesis made himself. With that name he took matters into his own hands and stopped crime by himself. After five years Genesis decided to to stop due to his injuries that kept happening to him. He stopped before it ended even worse. In his time Genesis didn’t tell anyone and thought no one knew …. Apparently he was wrong.
Five years later at the graveyard, Genesis began to dig, for his old gear and wear his old outfit one last time. Another thing he digged up was his old bow and arrow.
“God it’s been five years, be a miracle if I can still shoot straight”
“Ok let’s try to shot”  Genesis reached for an arrow and started to draw back his bow … almost as if he never stopped doing this.
“And breath in and … out” all that can be seen is ash everywhere from the wall he shot, making the big explosion he caused.
“S*** … trick arrow”. The skill Genesis had with the bow and arrow hasn’t gone away, using his bow and arrow won’t be enough to stop Shawn but of course Genesis knew that …. That’s why he planned ahead.
As Genesis ran to the palace all the things that surrounded him was awful, fires, buildings collapse, dead bodies everywhere, and the screaming of people suffering and the crying of of kids all over suffering as well.  Watching this only made Genesis more angry and made his ran faster … knowing that he allowed this tirant live bothered him … and now this could be the end for either of them. At last Genesis arrived at the palace, the only door that were open was the main entry doors, and as so Genesis opened it to only see a figure only to discover Shawn has his sword on his back … but why.
“Genesis! I’m glad you decided to turn yourself in … makes things alot easier”
“Shawn I’m only going to ask one more time … stop this … just walk away, this doesn’t have to end in a fight Shawn”.
A dead silence between the two … slowly making the situation they're in … the last encounter between them.  Finally Shawn spoke.
“You’re wrong Genesis … it’s already too late …. You’re too late. And now this will be your last fight”.
At that moment Shawn used his powers to push him back to the fall and kept doing this for three more times, with this act now shows this will end in a fight, two fromel friends fighting till their last breath.
  As Shawn continued to use his powers on Genesis he stopped to witness all the pain he has done to him but none of it bothers him, hurting people is what Shawn did best and kept doing it.
“Would you look at Genesis, down on the floor in pain, it's about d--- time. Hahaha what did you expect coming here, you think you can bring a bow and arrow and fight a god! You’re more foolish than I remembered, that’s the difference between us Genesis … I plan ahead, I doubt you can still shoot an arrow anymore”. At that point all Genesis did was talked and reached for his arrows.
“No Shawn … the difference between us is … i never miss!” followed by the shoot of an arrow, quickly Shawn dodge it and landed on the wall next to him.
“Ha! You missed.”
“No” the only thing that can be seen was Shawn falling due to the trick arrow’s explosion beside him.
“Well played Genesis … now this is going to be fun”. This kept going, back to back Genesis against Shawn , man versus god, day and night, but only one would stand victorious … sooner or later someone is going to make a mistake and will end up failing on their fight. At this point Shawn decided to show Genesis is plan all along, grabbing Genesis and throwing him into a room that he never saw.
A container filled with blue like gas trapped in there.
“What is … this?” Surprised at what he's looking at Shawn steps in but pushing Genesis to ground.
“Don’t talk! Only listen and more importantly … watch”. After his demand Shawn walked up to the container and continued talking.
“I know after a year you were thinking about what I did with your powers after I took them right?. Well you’re staring at it, this was your powers but now is the time, this has been my plan all along, don’t you see! You see what I can do with my powers … now imagine how much stronger I can grow with both powers of light and night, together, I will become a real god!. Now my old friend it’s time for the undertaking to happened and this ends one way … you being dead and me becoming a GOD!” breaking the container and absorbing the power that was once Genesis horrified him, he’s never seen anything like this, at the point that he knew he was going to die that night. Shawn’s voice changed into a demonic way.
“I’ve never felt power like this before! … I am Oryx!”
“No no no no! This can’t happened”
“What’s going … on … why am I … ahhh!” What Genesis saw determined the end … as he saw Shawn now named Oryx grew more than 100 ft, a giant, a god, now with the power to take control and do whatever his plan is, no one can stop him now, with Genesis doubting himself and everything he’s done to keep control of the city and crime, everything gone, time wasted, there was nothing he could do anymore.
At this point Genesis didn’t even know what to think the only words he said said were
“It’s too late.” Over and over again and again, he had a plan to defeat Shawn in his first form when he just had the powers of night but now that he’s shown his full plan there’s nothing he could do now, a human going up against a god only ends one way, the human lying dead on the floor at his feet. With Shawn going to the city for more damage Genesis picks himself up and tries his best to walk and think of a plan that could work but all  he can think of is more suffering from other people around the world, thinking about that only made things worst for him and more on the fact he could have prevented all of this one year ago on their previous fight, the fight Genesis left a scar on Shawn. In the end of that fight when Genesis still had his powers was standing over Shawn … defeated Shawn was on the floor. Genesis holding his hand to burn him alive was holding back … knowing that was once his friend almost like a brother to him … he wouldn’t do it …. He couldn’t. But as Shawn saw Genesis holding back he quickly used his powers to stunned him and eventually knock him down, but Shawn wanted more than a victory … he learned a new trick that he discovered … he began to take Genesis’s powers from him … slowly and painfully, knowing now … this is all Genesis’s fault for not putting him down that one fight.
Thinking about his failure wasn’t going to help. The only thing he had to think is a way to fight a god.  Time was only being wasted thinking about the past, Genesis had to move fast and think fast, it was only him against a god. This fight will be remembered in history.
“Can’t just stand here and do nothing, there’s no point on escaping … he’s going to destroy anything that gets in his way … if only I had my powers again”. Although there is a way to get his powers back, the way to get them won’t be easy … it never is with Death.
“I have to find her”
The only way to get his powers back is to get them how he got them in the first place … given by death herself. All the way to Nanda Parbat, almost a 12 hour trip over there, with guards patrolling the whole place … the first time Genesis and Shawn were there it was because they were kidnapped. Death’s purpose was to give the two people she choose to protect this world from threats that came. The only way to have a slight chance of defeating Oryx is to have his powers back, so Genesis began.
As his trip began he’s only halfway to his destination, but the only thing he thought of was each minute he wasted Oryx murders hundreds of innocent people around the world. It was only a matter of time before Oryx kills thousands or more, to face the facts haunted Genesis, who knew that the nicest kid from school could grow up and become … this person. In the past Death wanted Genesis and Shawn to prove themselves to her, and so they did, with Genesis’s skills in hand to hand combat and bow skills and Shawn’s tactical plans on how to block most of Genesis’s attacks proved their skills to Death herself. Just hope that she can help right now.
  Finally Genesis arrival at Nanda Parbat has come. Genesis wasn’t in the mood to be stopped by the guards or sneak into the place so he ran towards the entrance and had to avoid having a long lasting fight against the guards, with his training over years Genesis was an expert in every type of martial arts so the guards aren’t a problem but he didn’t want to waste even more time. Soon enough he entered where Death was in and he saw her, sitting in her throne like seat, rubbing a skull and standing up, with that Genesis began to talk … out of breath.
“Death … you have to … listen to me … Shawn has created chaos … he is chaos … with his and my powers … combined he’s a … god now!”. After Genesis’s words all Death did was walk the other direction … as in she was ignoring Genesis.
“Death!” Genesis tried to get her attention
“He’s basically a god now!” After that statement she began to laugh.
“Oh Genesis … I’ve meet god and he’s nothing like that … So young Shawn finally gave in huh? As expected of course.
“Wait you knew this happened?”
“Not the whole “god” act but the part where he gave into darkness yes … and trust me … the dark isn’t a as you call a “fun” place to be in …. I would know”.
“Death I came here for help … all i need is” just in that moment Death shut the doors behind him and began to raise her voice towards Genesis.
“You expect me to help you? A foolish human whose powers were taken away from someone else … now this chaos is happening because you couldn’t finish him a year ago? I don’t give second chances … just ask your ancestors” This made Genesis quiet for a few seconds until he had more to say.
“Please I beg of you, give me my powers back and i’ll destroy this false god named Oryx … to finish him … i need to protect my world from these threats”
“This Oryx can sure be a problem for me … I can’t have this filth running around and causing havoc … say I did help you … what do I gain from granting this bold request”
“...... I offer my soul if I fail from my final battle” This took Death time to respond but eventually she made her choice … she stared down at Genesis and spoke her final words.
“So be it … but remember this Genesis … fail your city and we’ll meet on the other side”  As she finished she raised her hands to lifted him up and started to give him his powers.
“Now leave Child”.
“Yes mam” And all that can be felt is a strong wind.
With Genesis having his powers and his bow and arrow with him, he has a fighting chance against Oryx, His first destination was his city, his home to protect from any threats such as people like Shawn. As soon as Genesis reached his city, all was destroyed. Any survivors would be considered at the time … a miracle , but it didn’t seem like there be any alive. Flying to every location in the entire city didn’t help either, knowing this Genesis went to the last place he heard Oryx was last seen … National City. Genesis knew the only way to keep the people safe would be to take the fight somewhere else … back to Coast City it’s already dead and empty so it’s best to bring the fight back to where is started. Finally Genesis used his powers to talk to Oryx from city to city.
“Oryx I know you can hear me, if you really want to finish let’s settle this feud back home … just the two of us … a fight to our deaths … i’ll wait for your arrival … Shawn” …….
In the time Genesis waited almost 2 hours for Oryx’s arrival and there he was … a giant across Genesis, as Oryx just stared at Genesis all he did was show a smile while Genesis just stands on top of a building, that stopped when Oryx said the first sentence.
“Well … here I am”
“You have to be stopped, before you cause even more suffering to other people, look at what you done to this city! Our city … your city, how could you destroy your home?”
“This was never my home Genesis, now with my power i’ll destroy even more homes to other people … and no one will dare to step up, not even a human like you, striped from your powers … now you’re nothing! And you dare face me! You’re more foolish than I thought”
“Oh yea there’s one thing I forgot to mentioned” as Genesis flies up and crosses his arms
“I got my powers back.”
“Hahahaha I never expected Death to give you a second chance … she’ll regret making that decision soon enough”.
“Ok … that’s enough talking … it ends where it began Oryx!”
“So be it Dark Archer”
“Try to keep up!” Followed up with a shot from his bow.

Arrows flying, projectiles made of different elements being shoot at Genesis is all that can be seen, with Genesis running to get cover and flying up to get a better view of where he needs to shoot while Oryx just tries to do all he can to finish Genesis.
“Think Genesis think” while shooting multiple arrows.
“What can hurt him … a weak spot but where … wait was is that?”  Something can be seen glowing in Oryx’s heart.
“That’s it … his heart of course … well this might be a little bit too easy” As Genesis decided to fly up to Oryx’s face just to mock him he made him be distracted with his anger.
“Away with you, do you think this is a game! You have no idea how strong my powers are now! … I’ll kill you for what you did to my mother! This ends now!” As Oryx holds back as if he’s going to push his chest out, it’s what he did, instead he unleashed a shot of energy from his chest … powered from his glowing heart, perhaps that’s where he gets his power from. After a shot like that could have killed Genesis in a split second but as soon as Genesis saw that he got out of the way, as he went into cover.
“Well … that’s new, good …. Makes things a little more fun. The battle continued and all Genesis could think of is making him fall … so he went for his legs.
The plan was to aim for his legs and eventually weakened his strength so he couldn’t stand anymore.  A good plan when you think about it.
“He shoots” as an arrow landed on his pinky toe.
“He scores!” This only angered Oryx but it was working … each moment he’s getting weaker and weaker.
“Wow, I wonder what this arrow does …. Looks cool” All it took was an aim that good take Oryx to the floor … as he shoot it to his ankle it gave an electric current through his whole leg … which only made him lose his balance and feel to the ground, of course Genesis took notice of this and took advantage of this moment.
“Here’s my chance” As he flew all the way up and equipped an explosive arrow like the one before  … took a deep breath and … shot his last arrow in this fight. The arrow went is Oryx’s heart and exploded making it more painful for Oryx. Genesis did it … he won his fight … but killed the only person close enough to be a brother to him … but he knew what he had to do in order for piece to come back to his city and everywhere else. As Genesis looked at Shawn … it can be seen he was still alive but with little time … he was in pain … with blood like green liquid coming out of his mouth and heart. Seeing this made Genesis going over there and to put him down for good. He got near his face and put his hand on his heart … to use his powers to kill him, but interrupted by Shawn's last words.
“You think … you won” Shawn says this while coughing out blood.
“There will always be threats … and you won’t be able to … save everyone … don’t worry …. I’ll just tell your parents that you ….” That's all Shawn said before Genesis blew out his heart … killing him on the spot.
“Goodbye my friend” as Genesis started to walk away he said his final words to Shawn.
“Say hi to your mother for me” and with that Genesis went to the graveyard.
As Genesis was flying to his destination he thought of what would he do next to keep protecting his city and world, all he wanted to do for now is rest. When Genesis arrived to the graveyard he saw someone there, so he walked towards it and surprised at who he saw.
“Death? … what are you doing here? In my city”
“I see you won your battle … good … I knew giving your powers back wasn’t a waste … looks like your so called city doesn’t look to good”.
“Yes I can see that … so tell me … why are you here?”
“I need your help Child”
“Hahaha …. I’m sorry I don’t know if you released but I just fought a god!”
“True … but this can’t wait … I need you know”
“And if I were to say yes”
“You will”
“Let me finish … where do you need me?”
“Well that’s the thing … hope you don’t burn easily … you're going to h---”
“Well … from the looks of it … I’m already there” after that death teleported them both somewhere else … to a location where Genesis’s work will truly begin. For next time.