The Happiest Place On Earth | Teen Ink

The Happiest Place On Earth

By ofallon BRONZE, Ho Ho Kus, New Jersey
ofallon BRONZE, Ho Ho Kus, New Jersey

I woke up, officially eight years old. There were no worries, no doubts knowing that nothing could ever get in my way. I get out of bed, put on a random red t-shirt and some blue jeans with a pair of red converse and I brushed my hair. I run out of my door, down the stairs and into the kitchen. I walk down to chocolate chip pancakes with some milk on the side. It was like a dream! My mother, father, and brother were all sitting at the table with a little card right in the middle that said my name in cursive.

“Good morning sweetie! Happy Birthday!” My family all shouted with excitement.

“Aww, thank you,” I said.

I pulled out the chair and sat in it. We all started eating right away. The table was silent. All I was thinking about was what is on that card. Is it a gift or just a birthday card? Why was there just one thing in the middle just sitting there? I was thinking it was unusual and they never did anything like it. I wanted to ask what it was so once I finished my pancakes I did.

“So, mother what is that card?” I asked.

“It’s a little something for you,” Mother replied. “Here, You can open it when everyone is finished eating,” Father added, then handed me the card. After a few minutes go by everyone was putting away their dishes. All I wanted to know if what was on the card. “Can I please open it.?” I asked

“Do it, do it. Hurry.” Danny, my little brother shouted.

My parents nodded and looked at me. I took the card, it felt somewhat heavy. I glanced at it for a moment then, started to tear the back open bit by bit. It made a crackly noise. The room was silent. Everyone was starting to see my reaction and see what was inside the card. I take out the card from the envelope and it is a card. I open the card and I see writing and 4 tickets. They are the color of sand and say Disneyland on them July 17, 1955. I threw the card of the tickets in the air, screamed in excitement, ran over to my mother and father and gave them a big hug.

“Thank you so so much, I love it. What time do we leave?”I asked my parents. I couldn’t believe it was finally happening! I was waiting forever for Disneyland to open. We have almost had never had something like this in America or at least here in Anaheim, California.

“We leave in 2 hours, Please be ready.” Mother said

“I will be, I need to go upstairs and get ready! Thank you, guys! I love you,” I exclaimed while I was racing up the stairs excited to go to Disneyland. The big opening. To one of the biggest amusement parks in the world. I can’t even believe that this day is finally happening and I will be one of the first people ever on this planet to have stepped foot there. I go into my room close the door behind me. I change out of my red t-shirt and blue jeans into a nice, clean purple shirt and a pair of black jeans with my white converse again. I brushed my hair and put it up in a ponytail got my blue bag from Adidas and went downstairs.

“Mother, can we go soon I’m ready,” I asked.

“Honey, we will be ready soon but we need to wait for everyone else especially your brother, he is outside playing if you would like to get him yourself.” Mother told me.

All I want to do is just go to Disneyland and see it by now. I have wanted this for years and it is all I care about. So, I run outside and scream.

“Danny, come inside we need to leave soon! You are the only person that is not ready, so come inside and hurry,” I shouted annoyed.

“Ok, I am coming in let me finish playing kick the can with the neighbors,” Danny replied.

Now, At this moment all I wanted to was leave and no one was ready. It was almost unfair to me. I ran out of the house and through the green grass went up to Danny and told him to come right now. After trying to convince him for a while he came. Danny ran upstairs and quickly got changed then came back down right away.

“Mother, Everyone is ready can we please leave now?” I asked impatiently.

“Yes, get in the car your father and I will come in a few minutes and we will leave,” my mother told us.

“Ok thank you!” I said with excitement. My brother and I got into the back of the car and waited. A few minutes later mother and father came.

“Kids, are we ready? Does everyone have everything?” asked mom and dad.

“Yes, can we go now please,” I asked.

“Yes, we can now Violet,” Father responded.  

Mother took out her map that she got from the newspaper store. She checked Orange County to Anaheim California, which is 8 miles away from us. I don’t think I could wait any longer I just wanted to be there and go on all the rides I could possibly go on.

“Only eight minutes away kids!” Mother told us with excitement.

My brother and I both looked at each other with the biggest smiles on both of our faces. We could never be happier. In the car ride, my brother and I were playing iSpy with each other. Then, I looked down the road and saw a huge sign that said Disneyland park & hotel - entrance. With a lot of different colors.

“Yay! We are here!” I shouted with excitement.

We pulled into the parking lot. It was packed with a bunch of people and cars. I saw Mickey Mouse with the huge ears walking around. I couldn’t wait to go inside and go on all the rides. As we parked the car we started walking down to the ticket stations. There were the people that would check us in and allow us to go in Disney. After we checked in I saw all the rides and all the people. At first, it was a bit overwhelming to see. There were so many rides such as Autopia, Mr.Toads Wild Ride, Peter Pan's Flight, Mad Tea Party and many more.

“Mother, let's go on Autopia first,” I said

“Ok, Danny and John do you guys want to go too?” Mother asked all of them.

“I mean sure I’m fine with anything, so let's go there first,” father told to us.  There was a map that we had to follow to see which rides we wanted to go to. It felt like I was in a different world when I was in Disney. Everyone was kind and it was a bunch of fun rides for kids to enjoy. Nothing could be better than this. My family and I went on all the rides there. Starting from

Autopia ending to Storybook Land Canal Boats. Autopia was by far my favorite ride. The ride is like a bunch of little gasoline-powered cars that go 7 miles per hour. You just race around with other people it is a lot of fun.

“Mother, can me and you go to the MTD while father and Danny are on other rides please?” I asked mother.

“Yes, let's go right now before they get off the next ride and lose them.” Mother told me.

As mother and I were walking to the next ride. We saw a bunch of Mickey balloons and the person who was holding the balloons was mickey mouse! I quickly ran over to Mickey.

“Mom, come with me I see Mickey!” I shouted with excitement.

After I saw Mickey my father and brother came over to us and it was the end of the day. So everyone was ready to leave. Once we started heading out I was thinking about how happy and blessed I am that I can go to Disneyland for my birthday and spend an amazing day with my family and go on rides. Once we started heading home, as we got to the car I was thinking about much I loved Disneyland and how much fun I had then I dozed off to sleep.