Not Alone | Teen Ink

Not Alone

By MPersico777 BRONZE, Montgomery, Illinois
MPersico777 BRONZE, Montgomery, Illinois

" Fear is a Liar" (Zach Williams)

There are wires connected to my body. Long, snaking things that wrap around the hot, dry air and connect to monstrous machines that slowly beep, beep, beep in rhythm with my heartbeat. My body is racked with a sort of electric, throbbing pain; not stopping; not lessening, not leaving. My nostrils flare as my breathing shakes, hitching at the burst of awful, scream-quenching flames that seem to erupt from my sides, my chest, my head. My teeth grind together and my eyes squeeze shut, causing colors as vibrant as a sunset to roll behind my eyelids. But I am not alone.

God is good. God is good. 

It’s a chant I keep in my head, seeming to dull the pain that rolls over my body like waves crashing against a shoreline again and again and again; reminding me of the calming presence that surrounds me as if covering me with a warm, soft blanket of lamb’s wool that protects me from all harm. Not stopping, not lessening, not leaving. 

God is good. God is good. 

I don’t know where I am, or why I’m there. All I know is that I was taken from my bed and dragged to a sort of grotesque train, crimson and packed with people of all shapes, sizes, colors. Row after row of twins, shoved into trains meant for cattle and overfilled; packed side to side with bodies of all ages. I don’t know where my brother is now, or if he’s still alive, just as he knows not where I went after we were torn apart at the train station. I’m almost glad for it - if he could see me now, his brother born only minutes before him, it would break him. I cracked my eyes open, the blank ceiling above me changing as I imagined my brother’s face in the dancing shadows, the midnight shapes telling our story as it was an untold amount of time ago. The time before we’d been separated and I’d been brought here. To this horrible place where blood stains tell the stories of those who’d been tied to this table before me, and tell me of my own fate. But I am not alone.

God is good. God is good. 

A clang breaks me from my trance and once again the shadows look like monsters, looming out of the dark, aiming to swallow me whole. A face appears above me, the dim light casting sickening shadows upon his face; a ghastly skull stared down at me for a moment before moving down slightly, pressing its cold, dead hand against the side of my bare back. A shock ran down my body, and the edge of a thin skalpell blade made for healing glinted in the corner of my blurry vision, used now to harm. The Angel of Death was making his final mark on my body; for what I do not know, nor do I want to. But I am not alone.

God is good. God is good. 

The pain only lasted for what seemed to be only a moment before a form of peace washed over me, enveloping me in a sudden warmth as my eyes fluttered closed. It felt odd; the room was still cold and dark, but here I was - seemingly enveloped in loving arms which had the strength I did not. When I opened my eyes again, I was standing in a lush meadow, full of trees and grass of the brightest green; birds sang in the air - doves, white as the clouds in which they dipped and whirled in - and a fresh brook gurgled soothingly to my left. And there…standing only two feet away from me, was the man who’d held me through my long, long time in that room. A smile spread across my face; the first true time I’d smiled since the night before those wicked men, with the crossed red marking upon their hearts; upon their souls. He opened his arms and I flew into them, the holes in his hands pressing lightly against my back, which was now free of the jagged scars that had previously marred me. 

God is good.

Author’s Notes: I got this idea during lunch the same day we started this unit. Admittedly, I got out my Chromebook and typed it all up in about fifteen minutes. The rough draft is pretty much identical to the final draft; it turned out exactly the way I wanted it to. The core of this piece was that God is good, even in the bad times. That even when something confusing and horrible is going on, God is still there, and he’s still helping whoever is going through the bad times. For those bad times, I decided to go with the topic of the Mengele Twin experiments from the WWII Holocaust as it is a topic of interest and quite obviously an intense topic. The main character is being experimented on during the process of the story. I give brief details about the history of this boy and his brother, and use some hints of the cattle cars and twins packed together within them to make the reader realize the context of the issue, as well as using the German word for scalpel (skalpell). A lot of kids my age don’t know about these experiments, so instead of doing something in the concentration camps, I wanted something a bit different. The structure was very purposeful, with the spaces between thoughts and details and saying God is good. I wanted to point that out; the piece is not about the experiments and horrible things happening to the main character, but about how his faith carried him through his time in the room and on that table. I wanted something to be more bittersweet of a topic - many of the stories we read as an example ended in some twisted way that left the reader feeling upset or sympathetic. I wanted my readers to feel that sadness, of course, when they realize the main character was killed in such a horrible way, however, I also wanted them to realize his ending was peaceful. Happy, even. He went to Heaven, he met his savior. Instead of ending with him dying, I wanted to end with that peace and happiness he got from coming to Heaven and meeting Jesus. And I want my readers to try and understand a bit about that faith and how Jesus can carry us through hardships in life, no matter what they may be. Like I said before, this draft was really the same as my rough draft. I knew how I wanted it to turn out, and I truly believe that God guided my hand while I wrote this. It all just flowed; I knew what I wanted and as I wrote it came to life. I am proud of this piece, and I hope that I can give people at least a small glimpse of what it’s like to have a savior who cares for them and helps them. Who’s there protecting them even in the worst of times. 

Note: The main Character is not a Jew, he is a Christain. Christians were persecuted along with Jews, for various reasons. This piece is not against any sort of Jewish religion or otherwise; this is a Christain character who follows said religion.