Life in the 90s | Teen Ink

Life in the 90s

It was a stormy night, I was sitting in my room bored out of my mind. All of my friends were at the arcade, but I was grounded so all I could do was sit in my room. I wasn't even able to play my nintendo, or watch tv, just sit still and drown in my thoughts. I ended up going to bed since it was getting late,and school started early tomorrow morning. It was late already, and I had school in the morning so I decided to go to bed. 

I woke up, got ready for school, then hopped on the bus. It was too early for all the kids to have extra energy this morning, all I wanted to do was sleep. Luckily, yesterday was my last day being grounded so that's a plus. The day was dragging on, which only made me look forward to my favorite class of them all, math. Three of my best friends were in the class Billy, Nate and Steve. The teacher enjoyed us the most, so she didn’t mind our laughter throughout class

¨Yo stevie, have you listened to Michael Jackson's new song?¨ asked billy

I replied, "Michael jackson? Whos that¨

Billy proceeded to show me his cassette player, and from that moment on  my music taste changed. It was like something I never heard of, he was not popular so that's probably why I was so intrigued.

¨Bro this dude is so rad, how you find out about him?¨ I asked

¨Dont worry about it, just be glad you know about him now.¨ He smirked.

After school we all decided to hit up the arcade, it was only a block away from school so we hopped on our bikes and headed over. I went straight to the tetris machine,  making sure no one beat my high score, sure enough, like always no one did. Everybody knew me there as “the kid with the best score”, and I couldn't be beaten. As I played continuously I started to get fatigued and hungry, so I decided it was best if I headed home. When I got home, mom already made supper and dad had arrived from work. ¨Have you guys heard of Michael Jackson?¨ I questioned

¨Michael Jackson, the singer?¨ My dad replied

¨Yea Billy from school told me about him, but I never heard of him¨ I said. I didn’t believe they would know who he was, but it was worth a shot.

¨Yea I heard of him, but you know I only listen to heavy metal¨ He chuckled

It was nine thirty when we finished supper, and I had a test bright and early in the first hour tomorrow morning so I went to bed.The next day, as I woke up and  got ready I headed to the kitchen to eat breakfast. The Radio was on. Coincidentally it  was Michael Jackson's new hit, ¨Billie Jean¨. I was flabbergasted to hear him because me and my family were just talking about him last night. 

This is all anyone could hear on the radio, everyone talking about his new song. I hopped my bike, and played the song on repeat. It was really growing on me, his music in general was. It just had such a good rhythm to it, the one that makes you wanna get up and boogie. I was so happy it was Friday. Finally I had a break from school. The day went by quickly, before I knew it I was in my last hour already.  My friends and I planned on going roller skating today after school, and that's all I could think about. 

¨RING¨ The bell echoed 

All the kids squirmed up from their seats, rushing out the door with a smile on their face. I rushed to my bike, where my friends were waiting excitedly to go. 

¨Finally, we can go!¨ Billy shouted 

¨Oh shut up I wasn't that long¨ I repeated as we started to take off. As we were riding I asked them ¨Did you guys hear about Michal Jackson's new song??¨

¨Yea bro, the song was so groovy, I hope they play it while we roller skate¨ Nate replied.

We arrived at the skating rink, and got ready as soon as we got there. We were having a blast, and of course they played his new song, everyone was jamming!

This piece is a representation of life in the 90s.