The Diary of a Civil War Nurse | Teen Ink

The Diary of a Civil War Nurse

By Allie Newhouse BRONZE, Grove City, Ohio
Allie Newhouse BRONZE, Grove City, Ohio

Dear Diary,
I despise working in these horrid battles! Women, young and old, are working to help save soldiers, yet it feels like we are losing more men then we are saving.
The battlefields are littered with bloody bodies. Every day, more and more men are brought to our tents. Their cries for help, for mercy, for victory over death will forever be emblazed in my mind. So many plead for our assistence, but there does not seem to be enough of us to save or even attempt to treat them all.
Do not get me wrong, dear diary, for we are indeed working hastily in the hospital tents, but sometimes I feel as if I do not have the strength to withstand till the end. The screams of men as they undergo agonizing procedures and the weeping that can just barely be heard as the soldiers drift into a never-ending sleep...such sounds shatter my confidence in a victorious war.
I just hope that the blissful memories of my home will overpower the ferocious recollections of this bloody battlefield. Only then will I truly be at peace.

-With Love,

Martha Whitmen

writer015 GOLD said...
writer015 GOLD, Howard, Ohio

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. " --Marianne Williamson

I liked this a lot! One of my favorite periods in history, and this seemed a lot like the real journal entries that people would write.
Good job on making it come alive! :)

amaranth178 said...
amaranth178, Washington, District Of Columbia
I agree. This piece appears authentic in its tone and, to some degree, its style. I especially enjoyed her conclusion with "I just hope that the blissful memories..will I truly be at peace." Good job

Mandiella DIAMOND, Plaistow, New Hampshire

Don't waste time. Start procrastinating now.

Good job! This has a lot of emotion, like a real diary would.