Forever | Teen Ink

Forever

By TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’

October 1590

I remember that day as if it were yesterday. Some memories are like that. Seared into your conscience, never to be washed away with time. Only four years old, but I remember every single detail of that horrid, wretched day...
**********************************

I awoke screaming, although I wasn't sure why.

Then I heard it: shrieks. A hundred or more. The screams of my fellow Englishmen, and some foreign shrieks I couldn't identify.

Then I smelled it: smoke. A horrid stench. Not the wonderful smell of the crackling, sparking timber from the bonfire each night. No, this was a stench to make the weak of heart faint. And the weak of stomach lose their sup. It was the stench of burning huts and burning flesh.

And then I saw it: flames. Flames fueled by the haunting cries of children wandering, hopelessly, in search of parents, lost in the smoke. Flames fueled by the chilling screams of of parents, frantically searching for children, taken, stolen by the engulfing smoke.

And them.

Them. The ones that brought evil into out little paradise. Feathered headdresses, and coats of wolf skin. Unearthly shrieks and squeals and bellows were heard above the rest. Spears made of wood and bone, held above their heads. Bone-white knives, smooth bows and feathered arrows...

I stood in the doorway, not comprehending all that was happening. At least, not until strong hands grabbed me from behind and lifted me into the air. It was then that all my confusion was released and my screams joined in the chorus of the other frightened souls.

But the one soul I cared about the most heard my screams above the rest:

"Virginia!" my mother screamed. She raced toward me and my captor, only to be thrown to the ground by a large man with paint smeared across his face.

Or, possibly, it was blood.

He stood over Mother, then turned toward me. He spoke strange words with a strangely deep voice. My captor swung me onto his back, ignoring my cries, and obviously not caring that I was merely a child.

My last sight before I was tossed into a venison hide sack was one of destruction. Women being dragged by their hair across the trodden ground. Men being drug by the spears embedded in their forearms and thighs. Children being slung over large shoulders, being carried by their legs or thrown into sacks. If I had been older, I may have vomited. Being so young, not all that was happening was sinking into my mind.

Only one thing gripped me at that moment: I was not with my mother, and I was being taken from her. For all I knew, it would be the last time either of us saw each other.

Forever.

TheJust ELITE said...
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"When it’

Thank you very much!

Tar3an said...
on Sep. 29 2011 at 11:25 am
Tar3an, Brownwood, Texas

When tough times come peruse on. They will be a brighter day.

Very detalive peice. Almost seams like I was there. Loved it! 

TheJust ELITE said...
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"When it’

If you rate less than five, please explain why.

TheJust ELITE said...
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"When it’

This is a story about Virginia Dare. I did not give context or any more chapters (this is a book I recently finished) because I will be entering it in a contest this year for possible publication and I want it to be a surprise. I simply uploaded this portion (the first chapter) because to date this was my best work and I was/am very proud of it.

Thanks for your comment! :)

SilverDragon SILVER, Needham, Massachusetts

"Pick one, take two" by A. M.

Good writing, but what is this event? It sounds like an interpretation of what happened to the Roanoke II colony, but I am not sure if that is what you were going for. Advice- perhaps a bit more context. I love the writing though, very nice!

TheJust ELITE said...
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"When it’

Thank you!! :) :) :)

DannyKid33 PLATINUM, Pleasant Hill, California

"Don't ever let the media tell you what to look like. You're beautiful the way you are. Stay beautiful, keep it ugly." - Gerard Way.

this was awesome! i loved it good job and keep it up :)

TheJust ELITE said...
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"When it’

Thank you so much! :)

melodeess GOLD said...
melodeess GOLD, Edison, New Jersey
This is great! Very description and emotional. Keep on writing, you have a lot of talent ;)

TheJust ELITE said...
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"When it’

Thanks! :) :)

TheJust ELITE said...
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"When it’

Thank you! The greatest compliment! Frank Peretti....love it!! :D

rawlikesushi said...
Dude! I love this! this is the makings of a great story! it reminds me of Ted Dekkers work and Frank Pretti :) I love it!!

Clastic said...
Wow, this is a tad bit on the dark side, but the author shows amazing skill with words and the beginnings of a story. And to think this is a site for young writers! Bravo!! Continue your work!