The Locket | Teen Ink

The Locket

By NeverFallTooHard PLATINUM, Hartford, Wisconsin
NeverFallTooHard PLATINUM, Hartford, Wisconsin

Reason is powerless in the expression of Love.~ Rumi
Realisim, in painting, is what one wants to see, not what they really see. ~ Janet Fish

My mother Marie, sister Adine, and I, Ellen, are hiding in our attic. The year is 1938, date is November 10th, time is about 4:30 PM. I remember little of what happened the past few days, but my sister Adine knows it well. She tells me the story when she feels it safe. She puts our baby sister Ameilia down into her basket, for that is all we have up here.

"Five days ago, they took Daddy away. Daddy is not like me. Daddy is German like you. They took him away to work in a bad place. These bad places are where i've seen thusands of Jews killed. Jews like me and Mama.

"Four days ago, an officer came and wanted to take Mama's Baby away. She told us to hide in the attic. That is where we hid. The officer hit Mama for se would not let him have her. Mama laid on the floor, unconcious, and the baby spilled onto the floor. They left the baby and Mama here to die.

"When the officers left, I took Mama to the bedroom in the back. I tended to her and she became stable. I tried for the baby, but her boo-boos are too deep. She will not live.

"Three days ago, Hellen and her sister Sally came over to say goodbye. The next hour they were taken away. Two hours after that, I had a vision. After the vision, I told you that I am able to see into the future."

At that point, I'd ask why, over and over so I would never forget.

"Before you were borne and before Mama Adopted me from her sister, your dead Aunt Christiana, I was borne with a twin brother. His name was Hiyyam. We were taken to they German doctors, and they exparemented on us. They thought we were capable of things that were unworldly. After the experimants, I was given the ability to See into the future, and Hiyyam could read minds. Hiyyam died the day and an hour after you were born.

"I saw the camps. I saw the big ovens where Jews, Russians, Poles and Gypsies were burned. I saw the trains that carried them there. I saw Hellen and Sally on the train. I also saw Mama. You and Ameilia also.

"Two days ago, Mama recovered from the hits she recived from the German officers. She said she felt 'fully healed'. And I had a headache. And then I told you that I have a headache before every vision. Mama sugested we go out. I said I felt ill. Mama does not knwo about the visions. Do NOT tell her. Understand?"

I would nod, as If I had a choice to or not. Sister could not tell secrets. They were secrets, RIGHT?

" She went out on her own. You stayed to check on me. Thank you. I had my vision that night. Mama did not come home."

I asked if she would ever come home. She would bite her lower lip and look away. She said, "I don't think so, Ellen." and continue with her story.

"I told you my vision yetserday. I saw daddy shooting people. I saw Daddy doing bad things. I saw people get into showers and never come out. I saw a little girl with brown curled hair and skin white as snow. She came to me as a girl who's name was 'Anne Frank'. She will be famous someday. She will die in these camps.

"Today we hide in fear of the Germans to come. The radio says that there are officers taking Jews away. I am not safe to be around. If you are with me, a Jew, you will be killed with me. i do not want that to happen.I must leave, Ellen. For you and Baby Sister's sake."

Tears welled up in my eyes. I hugged her as tight as I could. I was weak/. My naturally brown hair was dull and dirty. Her almost snow white hair was still pretty, but now short and badly cut at the ends.

"do-do-don't o-go-go.." I moaned. She hugged me tigher. "There's no other way."

There was then a rappid knwocking at the door downstairs. The room fell silent. We stopped our hearts, our breath, our brains. We focused on the sounds. The door burst open and hit the wall. "German Army. Where are you hiding your Jews?" A man cried out. Suddenly, Amelia started bawling. Officers ran up to the attic. Aidine shoved a cloth in the baby's mouth to shut her up, but it was too late.

The attic door swung open. Light hit us, our small little dirty, sad, broken family. Our eyes filled with tears, even Adine's, who wa always strong,knew this was the end.

This is about the Holocaust. We are studying about it in History roght nowe. It is very tragic. Hope you like it!

ThatClarinetPerson SILVER, Tequesta, Florida

"Life. Don't talk to me about life."
~Marvin the Paranoid Android (from the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy series)
Statistical analysis suggests that i am probably in tune with someone
(hahahahaha! I love this cause i'm never ever ever in tune >o

nooooo! why does it have to be so GOOD?! now i'm depressed!

but seriously. it is truly tragic that people like anne frank are famous for dying.  this was great writing. really descriptive. too descriptive, really. :'(