How Blurrs Came To Be | Teen Ink

How Blurrs Came To Be

September 6, 2011
By ScarletMassacre GOLD, Burkeville, Virginia
ScarletMassacre GOLD, Burkeville, Virginia
10 articles 15 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The hardest ones to love are the ones that need it the most." - Jacoby Shaddix


Many years ago, in the deep, deep south, lived a small, elite community of Southern aristocrats. Laden with accents thicker than molasses in winter and more money than you or I could ever imagine, this community of down-home Southern folks was certainly an ideal place to live. But there was something very different about these people, as they were graced with the gift of invisibility.

The mayor of the town believed that no one outside of the town limits was important or as special as the people who were born into the community. In order to prevent any “outsiders” from trying to penetrate the close-knit families of Silver Creek, he issued a law that, if ever a passerby were to somehow wander too close to the hidden town, all of the residents were to use their power and make themselves invisible until the stranger or strangers had passed.

As the years passed, no one really noticed the slow but devastating effect the use of the invisibility had on the citizens of the town, until one year, a young couple decided to take a rather lengthy visit. That was the year that Blurrs came into existence.

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

The day the strangers arrived started off as a relatively normal autumn afternoon. The sun was high up in the oceanic sky, and a few clumps of wispy white clouds strolled casually across the horizon. The air was heavy with humidity, and condensation formed thick drops on pitchers of sweet tea. Even through the muggy air, pretty much everyone in the community could be seen sitting on their front porch, conversing lightly about all the little things in life.

Suddenly, the streets rang with the town watchmen’s voices, issuing warning of a carriage heading towards the community. The mayor rang the large bronze church bell…one, two, three times…indicating that it was time for emergency measures. All of the citizens concentrated intensely until nothing more could be seen of them. Into their houses they went to wait until the visitors passed safely.

The carriage pulled to a stop in the middle of the dirt road, and out stepped a young couple, looking around for any signs of life. Silver Creek had a chilling aura about it, as if everyone had just…up and vanished. Little did the pair know, that was exactly what had happened. The two young adults walked around, knocking on doors and peering into windows, trying to find someone, anyone to tell them what became of the quaint little town.

After a few rounds, the couple decided that, truly, no one was left in the small community of Silver Creek. They conversed with each other and their driver before finally deciding it wouldn’t be too terrible if they stayed a few nights before continuing home. The driver nodded, as he had no rush to return.

The two younger adults walked hand-in-hand towards one of the smaller houses in the town, as they were overwhelmed by the size and space of the others. A pitcher of freshly brewed sweet tea still sat on a small round table on the porch, completely untouched, and surrounded by two tall glasses of ice.

“Liza, look! It’s almost as if they were expecting us, and wanted us to have a warm welcome!” said the young male to his bride.

“Well I’ll be, you certainly seem to be correct, my darlin’ Andrew!” she giggled, her accent as thick as those of the town’s natural residents. He took her hand and kissed it, causing her to blush and giggle once more. She kissed him on the cheek as he handed her a glass, filled to the brim with the sweet liquid.

The locals watched in silent horror as the events unfolded before them. What were they to do? They couldn’t just suddenly appear, as they would give away their secrets to the undeserving public. They’d just have to wait it out, and hope it wouldn’t last long.

Days went by as the couple made themselves at home in the empty town. Residents of the community made-do with what they could, eating only in the dark of the night when the strangers were fast asleep. Finally, after nine days of tedious waiting, the couple packed up their things and headed home.

Once they were far enough away, the mayor rang the bell again, four times, to clear the emergency. The locals slowly faded back into sight, only to make a tragic discovery. Because of their pride and reluctance to share their gift with the world, their extensive use of invisibility caused them to fade away until they were, quite literally, just a blur. Embarrassed by their greed, the town dispersed, hiding in the shadows of the woods, where, if the moon is just right on a hot summer night, you can see them wandering in shame through the trees.


The author's comments:
My second fable written for my creative writing II class.