Last Resort | Teen Ink

Last Resort

By ScarletMassacre GOLD, Burkeville, Virginia
ScarletMassacre GOLD, Burkeville, Virginia

"The hardest ones to love are the ones that need it the most." - Jacoby Shaddix

Once upon a time, there was a beautiful princess who lived in a huge castle with her father, the king. It came the time that the girl was turning 18, so to find her a suitor, the king decided to host a ball. He would invite all the noble young men and women in the kingdom so that his beautiful daughter might have a large selection to choose from.

The king hired a planner, and details about the party came to be set in stone. Decorations covered the ballroom at the castle, everything from balloons to ice sculptures. The kitchen staff was instructed to cook the most elaborate foods they could, and a few other cooks were hired to help the original staff. Invitations were sent out everywhere, and the whole kingdom grew excited as the night of the ball came nearer.

When the night rolled around, eligible bachelors from all over the kingdom showed up in carriages of all shapes and sizes. Even the horses that carried them were different for everyone! Suitors filled the ballroom, anxious to see the princess on her birthday, all hoping to win over her hand.

The clock struck ten, and the doors to the ballroom opened. Out stepped the princess in a long red gown, and the jaws of every male in the room dropped. She was gorgeous! The dress was simple, but her slender figure made it seem much more elaborate. Her long auburn hair was pulled into a bun, and a simple tiara topped her head. Long white gloves ran up her arms, and her jewelry was simple and silver. At this point, if nothing else, just seeing the princess this lovely made the entire ball worthwhile.

She descended slowly down the steps, where she was greeted by her first suitor. He constantly stepped on her toes as they danced, and she immediately crossed him off the list. Suitor number two whisked her away from him, and she added him to the list of possibilities…until he began to speak. His accent was so thick, she couldn’t understand a single word he said, so right back off the list he went. And so on the dancing went, suitors displeasing her left and right. Some were too tall, some too short. Some too young, too old, bad dancers, completely not understandable, too boring, too upfront, and so much more.

When the ball finally ended, the princess sat quietly on the side of the floor as the last few people left. He father smiled sadly, upset she couldn’t find a suitor, but totally understanding of her pain. Kissing her forehead, he wished her goodnight and went upstairs to go to bed. The princess continued to sit there as the staff cleaned up from the ball. Suddenly, a young cook, about her age, boldly came to her and offered his hand.

Exhausted, the princess sighed and took his hand, knowing she had nothing left to lose. They danced, alone on the floor, moving in perfect rhythm to the music only they could hear. The king watched as they twirled together, invisible to them, smiling as the sparks flew. He could see that they were perfect for each other, so he put aside the fact that he was merely a servant. The cook and the princess continued to dance, falling in love with every step.

Weeks and dances and secret meetings later, the princess knew it was time. She told the king that she had fallen in love with the cook, and she was going to marry him, no matter what he said. The princess expected her father to be upset, but to her surprise, he was very open and welcoming of the idea. The wedding was planned, and the entire kingdom watched as their love was sealed with a kiss. The princess and her new husband lived happily ever after, ruling the land in years of peace. And all were happy at last!
THE END

This is a quick little fairytale I wrote in about five minutes