Writing Pieces - Hope in Finland against Russia | Teen Ink

Writing Pieces - Hope in Finland against Russia

April 15, 2013
By Anonymous

9th of December, 1939

I woke up from the sound of bullets and artillery. "Why me?" I asked myself, but as expected no reply. I went through my daily routine, which was mostly digging out dirty trenches but occasionally manning a high powered gun i called ''Sally'' and trying to get rid of some of the advancing Russians. It was a cold, white, wintery day and we knew that this could impact the whole WW2, but we didn't really have the men or the resources to win so it looked like we were in some strife. I pulled my binoculars out (Which were an officers before he got shot) and I looked over to see a deserted battlefield. So I had some spare time to use! I used it for cleaning myself which took ages due to there not being showers or baths, just some murky 5 day old water, which was good enough. I wish I hadn't signed up for this, it was cramped, cold and stinky! I wish I were home watching some football at the local stadium. My name's Ano Annikki, and I’m 21 years old, I came from a rich family, but why does it matter now? I came to fight at the front lines so I will continue to! I just hope this isn't my last day of service.

More bullets zoomed past the top of the wood brimmed trench, and I could hear shouting in Russian, I knew a little bit of Russian but I didn't understand what they said. I heard something again which I was familiar with, it was "Frag out" which meant a grenade was to be thrown, it was a horrible throw but I guess he must've had a good throwing arm for a 200 meter shot. I saw a group of soldiers with a map, they knew what was happening and knew we should do something. I came at the wrong time though and was told to get to a sniping position which was something I wasn’t hoping to do because I was tired from digging trenches. I was trained as a sniper but the army didn't have the resources to get any of the specialized guns so I use a long-range rifle with a good scope, it always works a treat. I scan the perimeter and walk 5km backwards to the next trench, on arrival I high-fived some good friends and met up with another sniper named Romanov Stavna, he was Russian and had betrayed his country for us. Romanov and I headed up a mountain in no mans land to get a good view point, we got our talking devices out of the backpack and sent the lieutenant a call which came through with in seconds, I told the lieutenant about the enemies lay our and how I knew they were going to attack soon. The phone literally weighed 30kg and was top machinery for our times, but it was hard to bring up the hill.

2 hours later..

We had stayed in position talking and waiting for the enemy to attack but still no luck, I knew I should've got more food I didn't want to go to battle with no food or especially die with an empty stomach. We had 2 long range rifles and we had a machine gun, our plan was (when the enemies attacked) to go down the other side of the mountain and go behind enemy lines. This was the only chance we had to do this but we brought our snipers to pick off any security if there was any. I saw a tank moved and quickly called the general to tell him it was just about to start. We saw more movement and went back down the hill just this time on the other side which lead to the German trenches, when we were about 40 meters from the bottom we hid behind some boulders, it smelt like death in the area we were in and when we looked we saw maybe a dozen Finnish soldiers and a couple civilians, it was a horrific sight. We kept walking though and when we were on the flat land we stopped and waited, waited for the battle to start, waited for a call. Finally the call came through and we were told to move forward. Both Romanov and I had been involved in espionage before and jobs like this is what we were trained for. The training did pay off this time though. There were no security at the back of the trenches and the only people in the trenches were officers who were shooting deserters, they were easy targets for us though. We set the machine gun up and soon enough we were shooting away at the Russians, we had done a huge part for our military, families and our countries. It felt good but bad when we thought about all the families with no sons coming home or fathers coming home. I hated war and I decided to leave the army after the battle and try to achieve my life goals as well as carrying on my parents famous meat company.
But was it done? More Russians advanced and we couldn’t do much about the tanks, had we really done much for our countries? Or were we just going to be ended in seconds? I couldn’t tell, the air fighters were shooting planes left and right and were taking out a number of Russian soldiers as well as tanks. We saw men running back from the trench they came from, the Russians were retreating! How did we do it? I suddenly felt a sharp pain from the back of my head and I collapsed. I woke up 2 minutes later to see a couple of medics above me; they were speaking Finnish so I knew I was in the right hands. Romanov was right next to me and showed his support for me. We had won the battle! A MIRACLE!

Hope won this battle, hope was present!