Can't Change What is Done | Teen Ink

Can't Change What is Done

By 17jdesai BRONZE, Scotch Plains, New Jersey
17jdesai BRONZE, Scotch Plains, New Jersey

Can’t Change what is done

“Mary, can you come in here for a minute?” Mary’s mother, Patricia asked.
“Yeah sure, what is it?” Mary asked Patricia.
“You know that we extol all the work that you do to help this family?”
“Okay? Is everything alright?” Mary replied weirdly.
“Not really. My father and I are trying but I think it’s time that you get a job so that you can help out the family even more. I know that you are a little young but you will find something.”
“WHAT! I AM NOT GETTING A JOB!” Mary screamed. Mary thought by having a job that she would be different. She knew that times were tough for everyone. Food and necessities were all taxed and it was hard for her family to afford everything. A few times she had overheard her parents talking about money and how it was hard but she would have never thought that her parent would make her get a job. All her life she was pretty lucky because she was able to get most of the things that she asked for. When her parents asked her to get a job she thought that she would be made fun of at school. A lot of her things were trinkets but looked like they were great value. Mary’s mother walked to the room silently. She noticed the Mary was sitting on her bed looking outside the dirty window. “What’s wrong honey? What’s with the gloomy face?” Patricia examined.

“I know that you want me to get a job but none of my friends have jobs. Their parents pay for all their things. I want to help my family but I also want to fit in. What should I do mommy?” Mary replied as a teardrop fell down her face.

“I know that you want to be a ‘cool cat’ but sometimes not everything works out the way you want it to. If there was a way that I need you to work I would. I’ve tried everything. Your father and I already have two jobs each! We can’t do all that and still take care of our family.” Patricia said.

“I know that you and dad are trying your best but none of my cronies have to work, I would be weird if I got a job,” Mary narrated as she brandished her pillow.

“I know that’s how you feel but you know it is tenuous for us to ask you to do something like this? Just sleep on it tonight and maybe you will have a different thought tomorrow.” Patricia replied. Patricia walked out of Mary’s room. Mary thought that if she went to finds job that she would get high adulation from her family but on the other hand she thought that would get made fun of by her friends. She analyzed all her reasons for getting a job or not getting one and concluded that having a job would help her family out. Her parents have done so much for her and the least she can do I put some money of the table. Throughout the entire night all she did was look out her window, staring at the glowing moon and bawling her eyes out because she didn’t want to make the wrong decision. She wasn’t sure if her decision was right but then thought about all the slaves that were taken from their homes because they couldn’t afford to live in their houses anymore. The next morning the sun shined through Mary’s window. She walked into the kitchen in her bright pink robe. “Good morning,” James yawned (Mary’s father)

“Good morning. Throughout the night I thought a lot about what mom said and I have decided to find a job and start helping the family,” Mary admitted.

“I can commiserate with you honey. I know this was a tough choice for you. I am flabbergasted that you chose to help the family because I honestly thought that what people thought about you was more important,” Patricia admitted.
“What are…”? Mary couldn’t even respond to that, she just left the room so she could gird herself to find a job. She poured a bucket of warm water on herself, changed into one of her loose fitting dresses, and headed out the door to find a job. Even though she was only 15 she could still find a job, not a good job, but a job. She went on dozens of interviews but they all had the same answer- she was too young. After about two-dozen rejections she got too lazy to keep seeking a job. She figured that if she just told her family that she got a job in a factory that they would believe it. That is exactly what she did. For a while she traipsed everywhere so her parents thought that she was on a job hunt. She tried to mutter the words thinking that her parents wouldn’t hear everything.
“This is fantastic news. We should all savor this moment by praying to God, thanking him for the opportunity that he has given us. With the money that you are making you will be able to help the family,” Patricia announced jumping up and down. Mary was really ashamed of herself because of what she did, but she was also relieved that she didn’t have a job or be be embarrassed that she was the only one with one. Besides, it wasn’t like she didn’t look for a job.
Days went by and Mary would just fake going to work. Her parents were so proud that she decided to help out the family. Guilt started to grow on her shoulder but she didn’t really care. When Mary reached home all she heard was yelling. Her parents were going back and forth yelling about money. Then started to feel really guilty because she realized that they were fighting about not having enough money. Money was always their motif. At that point she had to tell her parents that she was lying to them. She ran across the kitchen and told them everything before she could have changed her mind. They were heartbroken that she lied to them about everything. Waterfalls ran down their face. Patricia and James didn’t want to say anything that would hurt her because4 they could already see the guilt in her eyes. They were hurt because they really believed that she wanted to help out the family. They thought that Mary picked her family over what people would think of her. They didn’t want to blame everything on her because they knew that in their hearts that they put a lot of pressure on her to find some work. Right from the start they knew she was too young to start working but they were desperate for money. They had to sit her down and tell her that because of her mistake they lost the house and all their money. They had to leave and James was being sold as a slave. All she could do was cry because it was all her fault. “I promise I will get a job!” Mary cried.
“I know you will now but you can’t fix what was done, your father is leaving in two days to his new master ,” Patricia replied. Mary ran out of the house going to look for a job. A factory was casting people to be the janitor. When they told her she could have the job there was no hesitation.
After a couple of months, she was able to find a small studio place for her family to live in. Her family was barely making it. The biggest part of her mistake was that her father would never be there with her now. She will pay for her mistake for the rest of her life.
Learning what her mistake caused her family she decided to finally take it seriously. The next morning she decided to wake up early in the morning and go find a full time job. By her having a job she wouldn’t be able to go to school. She was going to dawdle her time. She had an eerie feeling that she wasn’t going to find a job because of her age and she didn’t finish school. Job interview after job interview she finally decided to aim lower. She saw a job opportunity at a factory so she decided to look. Right when she walked in, all she saw was teenagers. At that moment she noticed that she wasn’t alone, many teenagers had jobs to help support their families. “You’re hired!” screeched Mr. Bill (the man that picks all the people that can work there).
“Really!?! Thank you so much! I will not disappoint you! This is kind of weird but what exactly am I going to be doing here?”
“It’s okay Mary. Your job is going to be very simple. All you have to do is check all the apples and peaches to see if they are all good and not gone bad. Can you handle it?” Mr. Bill questioned Mary.
“Of course I can. See my family is going through a rough time. My father just got sold as a slave because we weren’t able to pay all of our taxes. This job is the last thing we can do so my family can have a normal life.” Mary announced as a teardrop fell down her face. She lamented because it was her halting that her family is paying for her mistake. Mary stood up slowly as she shook Mr. Bill’s hand. She walked out the rusty door and started heading back to her house. She was ecstatic that this time that she would be able to tell her mother the truth and not a fib. “Hello, mother is you home?” Mary wondered.
“Yes dear, what were you up to today?”
“Well I knew that you were upset with me that I lied to you about getting a job but this time I actually got a job. One thing though, am I venial? Mary questioned.
“Wow that’s great sweaty and of course you are. I am so pleased that you would go out on your own to find a place to work. Tell me able to place” Patricia responded. For about they laughed and giggled while Mary told her mother about her new job. It was a
beatific experience because for the past couple of weeks Patricia hasn’t laughed till today. Mary had to drop out of school so she would be able to go her job full time . Throughout the next couple of months Mary learned that family comes first because one mistake can cost you so much.