The Silver Link | Teen Ink

The Silver Link

December 16, 2008
By Anonymous

1890:

Margaret sighed as she looked, once again, around her bedroom, searching for her lost necklace. The tiny silver band had been given to her by her fiancé only the previous week and already she had lost it. Margaret hoped he wouldn’t notice. It would be ever so humiliating to have to explain. Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. “That must be him,” she thought. Margaret rushed down the grand staircase to the parlor, lost necklace already forgotten.

2008:

Emily sighed as she sat down on one of the many boxes that littered the Victorian mansion that she and her parents had just moved into. From that perspective, a flash of light in the corner of the room caught her eye. Curiosity piqued, Emily knelt down and slipped her fingers into the gap between the floorboards and the wall. She felt something hard and cool, and upon pulling it out, found that it was a fine silver chain, slightly tarnished with age. She looked into a nearby mirror and tried it on. “Cool,” she thought, admiring how well it matched her earrings. From downstairs, the doorbell rang. Emily jumped up, thinking it was probably her boyfriend, who had come to see the new house. She dashed down the stairway, the necklace already forgotten.