The Voice | Teen Ink

The Voice

The classroom went quiet and waited for the speaker. Who is she, I thought. For the first time, I heard her voice.

She said, “Three two one start.” The teacher hit the timer and she was off. Her voice so delicate and soft. Nobody could hear her speaking. Even the teacher looked perplexed. I looked to my table group cringing and laughing softly. I thought of the throat one must have to produce such quiet noise, then, I started choking.

She clicked to move to the next slide, but it didn’t flip. The bell rang, during her presentation, and she stopped embarrassingly and said, “Thank you for listening.”              

“What’s even her name?”, he asked quietly.

“I dunno, she never talks”, replied another

“I think I had her in 7th grade, all her presentations make me fall asleep”, I joined in saying. What a loser, I thought.

As if reading my thoughts, he whispered, “What a loser”.

Welcome to the 2017 Campfire Program for Ziplining Campout”, my partner yelled. He sounded excited, full of energy. He said, “We will start off with a song, Everyone, clap along with the rhythm.” Boom, boom, clap. The loud music started playing in the background. He sang, “My name is Andrew, it rhymes with sky blue”.

Then it was my turn, “My name is Harold, do you you you hpwapa hpwapa”, I spat out..., and I forgot. What was I supposed to say, well this would be embarrassing, Ugh, I thought. Few people from the crowd made funny faces, made L’s with their hands, and broke into a loud laughter.

Roxanna_Foxe SILVER, Anonymous, North Carolina

"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

How dare you... write such an amazing story? I love the ending, where the message was flipped. The story showed creativity in your writing without following a cliche. Love it!

Mr.Gr said...
Mr.Gr, Cupertino, California
A story with a message.

Kindiaki said...
Kindiaki, San Mateo, California
Is this Boy Scouts lol

ChiranArumugam BRONZE, Cupertino, California
Excellent writing!!!!